User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Creative Endeavors »

Removing Stripped Screws...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Removing Stripped Screws...
rampancy

2009-01-19, 11:24

This isn't a non-tech/AO-type of question per se, since it involves a Power Mac G4 MDD, but it's not dealing specifically with the innards, so...

I'm really stuck on a stripped screw - specifically, the bottom screw which helps to secure the optical drive carrier to the metal tray support. When I got this used MDD, it didn't come with one, so I decided to just use a screw I had lying around...

Anyway, it's stuck, and stuck good, and my repeated attempts to remove it ended up leaving the head (it was a Philips' head, the kind with the "+" slot) totally FUBAR'd. So, anyone know how to remove such an annoyance? I've been told that drilling is a solution, but apparently, it's a last resort-type of solution, and the one drill I have access to here at my lab doesn't have a chuck key...

"The things that will destroy us are: politics without principle; pleasure without conscience; wealth without work; knowledge without character business without morality; science without humanity; and worship without sacrifice."
- Mahatma Gandhi
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2009-01-19, 11:26

If you have a dremel...
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2009-01-19, 11:35

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...=Taps+%26+Dies

Craftsman 10 pc. Drill Out, Micro Drill Out and Screw Out Set - #5, #8, #10 and 1/4 in. micro drill out bits; #1, #2 and #3 screw out bits.

US$70

also, be anal about the bits of metal that get generated doing this - use any and all preventative measures to ensure none are left in the case.

real hackers don't use sigs
rampancy

2009-01-22, 11:28

Thanks for the tip, Taskiss - Sears in Canada doesn't seem to carry that, but Canadian Tire has a set of similar products. I was thinking about bits of metal getting all over the motherboard too, so I was planning on getting some plastic drop sheeting to put over the rest of the computer.

Anyway, so I tried to get that damned screw out again, just to see if I could do it without resorting to fancy tools - I was actually able to get it out by gripping the head with a set of pliers. I'm thankful the screw wasn't wedged in any tighter. In any case, thanks for the suggestions!

"The things that will destroy us are: politics without principle; pleasure without conscience; wealth without work; knowledge without character business without morality; science without humanity; and worship without sacrifice."
- Mahatma Gandhi
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2009-01-22, 11:50

Happened to me when I was changing my PS3 hard drive. I was able to remove the screw with a kind of vice grip pliers... yay !! (thoses screw felt very cheap so go easy on them)

Dave Mustaine :"God created whammy bars for people who don't know how to solo."

Last edited by dmegatool : 2009-01-22 at 12:36.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2009-01-22, 11:52

Hey I learned something new from this thread... that there's such a thing as a "Screw Extractor" tool. Nice.