Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

How to edit a PDF to save paper

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
How to edit a PDF to save paper
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2009-03-04, 23:53

I've got a PDF I need to print, but each page has one thin column of text each, right in the middle of the page. I could easily fit two or three of the columns on one page. I've tried printing two pages per page, but that keeps all of the white empty space and thus makes the text very, very small.

Is there any way to accomplish this feat?

Do not be oppressed by the forces of ignorance and delusion! But rise up now with resolve and courage! Entranced by ignorance, from beginningless time until now, You have had more than enough time to sleep. So do not slumber any longer, but strive after virtue with body, speech, and mind!
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2009-03-05, 02:15

Problem solved: A friend has Acrobat Pro, and he was able to use the crop tool to cut out all the extra space. Maybe I should invest in that program...

Do not be oppressed by the forces of ignorance and delusion! But rise up now with resolve and courage! Entranced by ignorance, from beginningless time until now, You have had more than enough time to sleep. So do not slumber any longer, but strive after virtue with body, speech, and mind!
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2009-03-05, 03:40

You beat me to it! (Which is unfair really because you had a heads up on the question before you posted!! )

Anyway : Acrobat Pro : Had it for a while and can even use it for editing my Thai Tax forms.
Awesome. Recommended.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2009-03-05, 04:14

You can crop PDFs with Preview too. Just use the select tool to choose the text you want to keep, then -K to crop the rest off.
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2009-03-05, 22:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRabbit View Post
You can crop PDFs with Preview too. Just use the select tool to choose the text you want to keep, then -K to crop the rest off.
I didn't know that!

But one thing it doesn't seem to be able to do is to apply that same crop to the entire document, which is what I need because I tend to have 40+ page documents, and doing it for every page is a bit tedious.

But thanks for the info! At least with smaller ones I can do it myself now.