User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

What's accessing my hard disk??? (Help Please!!)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
What's accessing my hard disk??? (Help Please!!)
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
thuh Freak
Finally broke the seal

2004-06-02, 07:28

i suspect that the 10 or so consecutive listings of update within the same second, are from one run of the program. i'd be more interested in knowing if anything is happening between update calls. i'm retissent to call it a hardware problem, b/c whenever i tend to think something is, it turns out i missed something obvious in software.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2004-06-10, 04:13

Maybe the sync is somehow failing without an error message. Then the OS notices that what's on the drive isn't the same as what's in RAM, and tries to sync it again. I have no idea how this could happen though.

Oh, have you tried resetting the Power Manager? I forget how to do it, but somebody here is bound to know.

When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden... and the one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream.
stevegong
www.stevegongphoto.com

Send a message via AIM to stevegong Send a message via Skype™ to stevegong 
2004-06-10, 11:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
Maybe the sync is somehow failing without an error message. Then the OS notices that what's on the drive isn't the same as what's in RAM, and tries to sync it again. I have no idea how this could happen though.

Oh, have you tried resetting the Power Manager? I forget how to do it, but somebody here is bound to know.

You know, that kinda makes sense. I have reset the ppower manager though and it changes nothing. Is it safe to assume at this point that some hardware is broken?
Barto
Student extraordinaire

2004-06-10, 11:51

"WrMeta" is almost certainly adaptive hot file clustering moving files to your metadata zone.

When a file is opened on an HFS+ volume, the following conditions are tested:
  • If the file is less than 20 MB in size
  • If the file is not already busy
  • If the file is not read-only
  • If the file has more than eight extents
  • If the system has been up for at least three minutes
If all of the above conditions are satisfied, the file is relocated -- it is defragmented on-the-fly.

WindowServer probably has an equally innocuous explanation for writing to your hard drive.

Barto

The sky was deep black; Jesus still loved me. I started down the alley, wailing in a ragged bass.
Barto
Student extraordinaire

2004-06-10, 12:03

I ran fs_usage on my iBook with everything unplugged. I'm getting a hojillion of those "CACHE_HIT" things a second, from WindowServer, smbclient, xinetd, smbd, MDNSResponder, stuff from DirectoryServer, lookupd, you name it.

It would be nice to understand everything, sometimes you have to just "let it go" though.

The sky was deep black; Jesus still loved me. I started down the alley, wailing in a ragged bass.
thuh Freak
Finally broke the seal

2004-06-10, 12:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barto
I ran fs_usage on my iBook with everything unplugged. I'm getting a hojillion of those "CACHE_HIT" things a second, from WindowServer, smbclient, xinetd, smbd, MDNSResponder, stuff from DirectoryServer, lookupd, you name it.

It would be nice to understand everything, sometimes you have to just "let it go" though.
cache hits, if computer architecute taught me anything (and i did get an a in it), means the hd isn't actually touched. the os keeps an in-RAM cache of popular parts of the hd, and since ram is like a couple of orders of magnitude faster than hds its wicked, crazy, silly, crazy, wicked fast.
stevegong
www.stevegongphoto.com

Send a message via AIM to stevegong Send a message via Skype™ to stevegong 
2004-06-11, 19:05

THanks barto for the info, but I'm not sure what to make of it all. What does it mean?