User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPad mini
Page 4 of 5 Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5  Next Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-11-02, 17:00

That's cool to hear. Does the smaller size (compressing that 1024x768 down to the 7.9") somehow "help" on the resolution/sharpness, I wonder? Is there a difference/improvement with 1024x768 on a 7.9" display vs. a 9.7"? Does going smaller buy you some sharpness in some way? Or do I have it all backwards/wrong? I still sometimes have trouble grasping this stuff, believe it or not (screen resolutions, pixels, etc.). I just come from a print background and I know what I have to know on that side of things...

And torifile makes a point...I suppose without having to drive the Retina Display resolution, the system/graphics don't have such a heavy workload and it all kinda evens out in the end? I've read that in some other places. Even though it's not packing the exact guts of the iPad 3, it's having to do less work under the hood, etc. so performance is better than what one would expect, simply going by the spec sheet/numbers.

Interesting.

The only - only - complaint/con/downside/negative I'm hearing about this is the lack of Retina Display. I figure if/when Apple gets around to doing this (next year?), this thing will truly come into its own. And however well it sells in this first year, those numbers will be dwarfed by the gazillions of people stepping up to the ideal, perfect iPad mini.

In the meantime, it sounds like a great machine from all I'm hearing/reading. And, a year from now, there are going to be a bunch of happy kids, spouses, in-laws, grandparents, etc. who'll be getting year-old hand-me-down iPad minis.

Everyone wins!

If I was 8-9 and had a tech geek for a dad, I'd be counting the days until next October because I'd know damn well my old man would be stepping up to the Retina model and I'd be getting his old mini.

"Come on, October! Hurry up...".
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2012-11-02, 17:17

pscates,
When you cram a specific amount of pixels (e.g. 1024 * 768) on a smaller surface (7.9" in stead of 9.7" diagonally), these pixels end up closer together. The net effect is that the same information (e.g. a text) is presented smaller and the screen looks 'sharper' as a result. Sharper means the same as having a higher resolution in ppi (pixels per inch).

Of course part of this positive effect is mitigated by the fact that people will tend to hold a smaller device, which displays the exact same information more densely (e.g. a font displayed with the same point size is physically smaller), closer to their eyes.

The genius of Apple's retina technology is that the double the resolution (and quadruple the amount of pixels as a result 2*2 = 4). Retina doesn't use these extra pixels to be able to display more text or interface elements smaller, but they utilize it to make text sharper. Each pixel is substituted by 4 pixels allowing for extra 'crispness'.

A black hole is where god divided by zero.
http://settuno.com/
Noel

2012-11-02, 17:42

I sold my 16GB iPad 2 (with leather smart cover and a VGA-out adapter) on Ebay for $370 — the price of a new 16GB mini w/ smart cover, before tax. Arrived today and I love it. It feels better-made than the iPad 2 did.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-11-02, 18:28

Timely article at AI.

Says its somewhere between the iPad 2 and third-generation, but leans closer to the 2.

Find myself jonesing for an iPad in a way I never have before (frustration with the iMac situation factors in, I'm sure).

Money isn't really a factor (for once), so I'll be getting a 64GB if/when I do. Just mulling over mini vs. 4th-gen.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2012-11-02, 18:35

4th gen iPad vs mini is a pretty tough call for me. I guess it depends on what you plan on doing with it. There are certainly some apps that benefit from the increased physical screen size (like Paper) and sometimes it is nice just to have that larger surface in front of you. And the retina display is definitely the nicest screen you'll ever see.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2012-11-02, 19:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
4th gen iPad vs mini is a pretty tough call for me. I guess it depends on what you plan on doing with it. There are certainly some apps that benefit from the increased physical screen size (like Paper) and sometimes it is nice just to have that larger surface in front of you. And the retina display is definitely the nicest screen you'll ever see.
Apple was successful in repeating the success of the iPod Mini in that some people may actually opt to own both. Especially couples.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2012-11-02, 22:00

Some comparison shots with a 3rd gen Kindle.

The mini is probably just about .5 inch taller and wider. About the same thickness and weight. It's amazing that we've got an iPad in there.

edit: I just looked it up and, yes, the mini is about .5" taller and wider and a hair thinner and heavier.

And, just a couple of years ago, I paid $359 for a Kindle that was bigger and heavier.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2012-11-03, 07:26

I want to say that there seems to be less RAM than the iPad 3. Safari seems to reload pages more often. Not nearly as much as the original iPad but more often than my iPad 3 does. I'll have to use it a bit more to know for sure.

Jason
Veteran Member

2012-11-03, 07:28

Was looking around in the Apple Store in Osaka today. Couldn't even get near the tables for people.
Eugene
careful with axes

2012-11-03, 07:58

Quote:
I want to say that there seems to be less RAM than the iPad 3. Safari seems to reload pages more often. Not nearly as much as the original iPad but more often than my iPad 3 does. I'll have to use it a bit more to know for sure.
The A5 in the iPad mini has 512MB of RAM baked onto the chip package. The 3rd/4th gen iPad has 1GB of RAM on its main logicboard since the A5X/A6X aren't packaged with RAM.
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2012-11-04, 18:18

Quote:
I'm on the fence with this iPad mini. A co-worker had one on Friday and I briefly got to try it out. Yes, it's nice, and I think (not sure yet) that I can over look the non-retina display.

Part of me says to pick up the iPad 4 this year and hope that next year will usher in an iPad mini with retina. The larger one will be great for presentations and portfolios, and the added speed will be a bonus. Of course, it's not so good for what I think I'd use it mostly for...surfing on the couch and reading in bed.

BTW, are most who are buying the iPad mini going wi-fi only? I would think given it's portable size that cellular would be a more popular option.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-11-04, 18:41

I kinda think the opposite. Many (most?) iPad mini buyers are probably already sporting an iPhone...a small, "online anywhere" device that is with them 24/7. Just doesn't seem to be enough difference in size/features. But that's just me, and I know YMMV.

When I get an iPad, the wifi-only model is the only one I'm considering. To me, it'll be just like a MacBook (none of which can get online anywhere without wifi). That's how I'd use it (home, hotels, pubs/cafes, etc.).

I bet the iPad mini sells fewer wifi+cellular versions. Just a gut hunch...I could be proven horrendously wrong. It happens.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2012-11-04, 22:11

Checked out the iPad mini in The Sydney store on the weekend.

Big sign at the entrance saying they were out of stock, but plenty of demo units on display to play with - once you were past the crowd, of course.

I thought it would be a definite purchase this weekend. But, I'm slow to move on stuff like this and the rationalist in me is saying I don't really *need* my own iPad. I pretty much do everything I want with the iPhone 4S and work duties are handled by my 2008 MBP. This is sad to admit, but I really love both these devices.

Not being an iPad owner here are my impressions, take them for what they are worth:

Size and weight - excellent.
Industrial design - great.
Selection of apps - unparalleled.
Screen resolution was the major bummer for me. I thought I wouldn't notice, but when compared to the iPhone or a retina screen on other iPads it is hard to ignore.

I did consider, for a brief moment, the iPad 4, but I'm just not a fan of that industrial design. If it were built more along the lines of the mini/iPhone 5 style then it would have been a snap.

As is stands, I think I'll end up waiting for next year's models. That cycle should see me updating the iPhone and springing for hopefully an iPad mini with retina display or a thinner/lighter and improved design of a full sized iPad.

Further to the network or Wi-Fi discussion, Wi-Fi would be the most likely choice for me. I like to keep things simple and, to that exent, my iPhone would be the sole device accruing network charges. As Paul wrote, the iPhone is my 24/7 online network device - everything else is accessed via home/work/hotel Wi-Fi networks.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2012-11-05, 08:54

3 million in 3 days.

Asus/Google were crowing about selling 1 million Nexus 7's in a month.
El Gallo
Formerly “MumboJumbo”

2012-11-05, 12:03

I don't think selling 12 million of anything in a year is somethign to sneeze at and Asus just swung to profit from losses due to those Nexus sales.

We all remember who Google was pairing with on Nexus devices before this right... a little company called Samsung who seems to have done pretty well from the bargain.

We saw the same sort of rationalizations for Apple in the smartphone arena.

I have to admit I've been giving the Nexus 7 a very hard look. I was very impressed when it was released but held off until the iPad mini was revealed. With the latest price drop the 16 gig wifi model is only $199. Even if the Apple iPad ends up being a bit better and that isn't guaranteed with the specs at all, it isn't $329 better. It's more like $250 better or roughly a 25% increase in cost from teh baseline price of $199.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2012-11-05, 13:39

You can't draw estimates for the year based on one month's numbers. And as far as getting a Nexus 7 over an iPad mini, have at it. It seems that price sensitive people will have a hard time buying a mini but for those that aren't as concerned about it, the mini seems to be a much better tablet. The N7 has nothing over the iPad mini except price.

zippy
Veteran Member

2012-11-05, 13:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gallo View Post
I don't think selling 12 million of anything in a year is somethign to sneeze at and Asus just swung to profit from losses due to those Nexus sales.

We all remember who Google was pairing with on Nexus devices before this right... a little company called Samsung who seems to have done pretty well from the bargain.

We saw the same sort of rationalizations for Apple in the smartphone arena.

I have to admit I've been giving the Nexus 7 a very hard look. I was very impressed when it was released but held off until the iPad mini was revealed. With the latest price drop the 16 gig wifi model is only $199. Even if the Apple iPad ends up being a bit better and that isn't guaranteed with the specs at all, it isn't $329 better. It's more like $250 better or roughly a 25% increase in cost from teh baseline price of $199.
Your numbers confuse me.

If you're comparing a Nexus 7 to an iPad mini, wouldn't the iPad mini only need to be "$130 better" than the Nexus 7 to justify the price? ($329-199=130)

Saying it needs to be $329 better would indicate that the Nexus 7 is $0.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
El Gallo
Formerly “MumboJumbo”

2012-11-05, 14:25

I see your point. I'll try to phrase it differently next time.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2012-11-05, 15:18

Quote:
Okay let's have a show of hands. Who did not see this coming?

*crickets*

This christmas is going to be crazy.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-11-05, 23:52

On a related note, I just read the Macworld review of the iPad mini and this paragraph toward the end stood out:

Quote:
The iPad mini feels like a smaller iPad only because it came second. If you weren’t familiar with the iPad, and someone handed you an iPad mini and a fourth-generation iPad, it would be easy to think that the mini was the “standard” model with a super-sized version available for a premium. And I think that may very well be where Apple is headed with the iPad line. I wouldn’t be surprised if the iPad mini eventually becomes, iPod mini-like, Apple’s best-selling tablet, with only those who really need the extra power and screen size opting for the standard iPad.
Very similar to what myself and others have said during the buildup to the mini's unveiling.

EDIT: Gruber weighs in:

Quote:
Another week in, though, and I’m more convinced than even a week ago that the iPad Mini is the best size for most people. It’s last decade’s iPod story all over again.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2012-11-06 at 03:34.
¡Damned!

2012-11-06, 19:10

I'll weigh in again with a totally unscientific and possibly skewed opinion: I fucking love this thing.

It's everything, everything I wanted. It's just right. I'm *still* super giddy.

Sure, the screen is "less-than". Know what? I'm used to retina displays and I could give zero shits about the screen. It's fine. Anyone with the retina corncob up their ass is missing out. Sure, I'll be getting the retina mini Day 1, but if you're holding off until then? You're missing out on the greatest couch/bed kit ever. I love this damn thing.

So it goes.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-11-06, 20:31

That seems to be the word on the thing.

I think the Retina Display thing is a big roar over little, to the average schmo.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2012-11-06, 20:48

Stuff the Retina Display, I'm trying to get the money together to buy one.

It's what i've wanted all along.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2012-11-06, 21:11

Sadly, the lack of a retina display and the A5 chip are two of the biggest reasons I'm holding off on upgrading. I love the Mini though.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2012-11-07, 06:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
Sadly, the lack of a retina display and the A5 chip are two of the biggest reasons I'm holding off on upgrading. I love the Mini though.
Same here. I'm not much of an upgrader, so I'd prefer to purchase something I'm happy with first time. I'm also still very well served by the iPhone for my mobile surfing needs.

Now, you'll have to excuse me, I have a corncob to readjust.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2012-11-07, 10:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+ View Post
Same here. I'm not much of an upgrader, so I'd prefer to purchase something I'm happy with first time. I'm also still very well served by the iPhone for my mobile surfing needs.

Now, you'll have to excuse me, I have a corncob to readjust.
I always love upgrading but only when it makes sense. I have the iPad 2, but like I've mentioned in other posts, the iPad 2 and iPad Mini are basically the same device except for the size.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2012-11-13, 19:53

Managed to get to play with a iPad mini in store. Impressed doesn't begin to cover it! When i got home had to laugh at the weight difference between mini and iPad 1 If Santa doesn't bring me an iPad mini (in White) this year I'm gonna nuke the north pole.

I used to be undecided.....But now I'm not so sure.
No trees were harmed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Partial
Stallion

2012-11-13, 20:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegeriatric View Post
Managed to get to play with a iPad mini in store. Impressed doesn't begin to cover it! When i got home had to laugh at the weight difference between mini and iPad 1 If Santa doesn't bring me an iPad mini (in White) this year I'm gonna nuke the north pole.
I played with one today and felt the exact same way. Screen be damned, it was tiny!
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2012-11-19, 22:24

I have a black 32 GB, Verizon iPad mini. It's the perfect device to read the Drudge Report on.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2012-11-19, 23:31

I'm really trying to talk myself into buying one of these for myself. Trying to justify it as well.

I have my iPhone and use my MBP at work. Have a Kindle for reading.

But I want one so bad...

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.