iPhone 5S (s is for speedy!)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPhone 5S (s is for speedy!)
Page 1 of 7 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Last Thread Tools
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2013-09-10, 12:59

-3 colors: gold, white ("silver"), black ("space grey")
-A7 chipset, 64-bit
-"high-grade aluminum, with chamfered edges"
-great grphics improvements, support for OpenGL ES 3.0
- "motion co-processor" to measure data without using the whole A7
-battery equal to or greater than the 5: claims of "10 hours 3G talk, 10 hours wifi browsing, 40 hours of music, 250 hours of standby"
-redesigned camera: 5 element lens, 15% larger area on the sensor, larger aperture, bigger pixels, dual LED flash (one's cooler, one's warmer)
-fingerprint sensor confirmed, sapphire crystal cover
-On-contract prices: $199 for 16GB, $299 for 32GB, $399 for 64GB
-available September 20

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder

Last edited by Capella : 2013-09-10 at 13:25.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2013-09-10, 13:01

Loos like the iPhone 5, but with an added gold colour and a monstrous 64 bit A7 SoC. The Ars live stream is showing some amazing performance stats; twice the CPU and GPU performance was not what the rumour mill was expecting.

¡Damned!

2013-09-10, 13:02

Black and white are gone. Silver, gold and slate are the new colors. Didn't see that coming at all.

Faces are still black or white though.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2013-09-10, 13:03

Damn, you beat me by two whole minutes, Capella!

Twice the performance of the iPhone 5 across both CPU and GPU tasks is much more than the rumour mill was speculating about.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2013-09-10, 13:05

I don't play games on my phone at all and don't anticipate doing a lot of iWork stuff on it, but I might on my iPad 3rd Gen. I think that was A5 chip but I can't remember... hoping I don't need an A7 chip to run the new OS / apps smoothly. Apple doesn't buy back iPads as part of their new program I don't think.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2013-09-10, 13:13

I will say I've never been a fan of mobile cameras and their picture quality but the new features in the iPhone 5s (as far as the camera) are really impressive. Solved both some typical hardware limitations (sensor and pixel size and aperture), and software limitations (scene / light recognition).

Partial
Stallion

2013-09-10, 13:14

Seems like it's a beast. I'll definitely be buying.

Are we sure on the colors? Black, white, gold is what they said I thought.
¡Damned!

2013-09-10, 13:14

720p at 120FPS. Nice!
¡Damned!

2013-09-10, 13:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial View Post
Silver, Gold, and a "new space gray" is what I saw reported on The Verge cast.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

2013-09-10, 13:19

You can use your print to make iTunes purchases? Not sure if want.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2013-09-10, 13:21

I foresee a great deal of kids sneaking into their parents bedrooms to scan their fingertips while they sleep.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2013-09-10, 13:21

New touch ID security looks cool (the Apple ID password thing is the biggest PITA about the iPhone by far, because it never remembers it and the clipboard won't store it between sessions)... but with NSA concerns I worry about the government or anyone else stealing my freakin finger print(s) from the phone.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2013-09-10, 13:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
I foresee a great deal of kids sneaking into their parents bedrooms to scan their fingertips while they sleep.
Either that or crimilans cutting off your finger when they want to steal your phone.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2013-09-10, 13:23

Quote:
Seems like it's a beast. I'll definitely be buying.

Didn't you use to desire the 5C, Partial?

Has the spec siren lured you overboard?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2013-09-10, 13:23

The phones were silver before (the white one, anyway). It looks like the white/silver model remains, a gold is added (where the silver parts of the white iPhone are now gold in color) and the black/slate iPhone 5 went away and the slate coloring is more of a straight grey (the black plastic "windows" and facing remains?
Partial
Stallion

2013-09-10, 13:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugge View Post
Didn't you use to desire the 5C, Partial?

Has the spec siren lured you overboard?
I love the look of the 5C but I do dev work so I will most likely buy the 5S.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2013-09-10, 13:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Either that or crimilans cutting off your finger when they want to steal your phone.
No shit! That's a very legitimate concern IMO. Muggings will now include finger decapitations in some places I wager. Won't be an everyday thing but don't shocked to hear of it several times a year from the media, etc. I wonder if once you set that print, if no other print can ever be set. If that's the case it's not a worry as I doubt criminals are going to want to carry around rotting fingers with them to access phone features.

If it can be reset, all bets are off.

Quagmire
meh

2013-09-10, 13:26

I wonder how demo models at the stores will be setup. I mean everyone will want to play with the Touch ID feature.....

And disappointed that 16 GB is still the base model.... 32 GB should be standard by now.

giggity
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

2013-09-10, 13:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Makes me glad I didn't have one of these when I got mugged.

There's hopefully a way to reset the print. I know a lot of people sell or give devices to friends and family.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
¡Damned!

2013-09-10, 13:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
The phones were silver before (the white one, anyway). It looks like the white/silver model remains, a gold is added (where the silver parts of the white iPhone are now gold in color) and the black/slate iPhone 5 went away and the slate coloring is more of a straight grey (the black plastic "windows" and facing remains?
Ah, that may be. It looked like the upper and lower strips on the silver one were just a lighter shade of silver, not white, but it could've been a bad photo.

So it goes.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2013-09-10, 13:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capella View Post
Makes me glad I didn't have one of these when I got mugged.

There's hopefully a way to reset the print. I know a lot of people sell or give devices to friends and family.
Bad idea. If it's easy to reset, that's when people will lose fingers. If only the Apple store will reset it and only by verifying the original purchaser via CC info or similar, that would be OK. User resets will invite a lot of crime though IMO.

Partial
Stallion

2013-09-10, 13:40

A few thoughts:

1. They downplayed whether the processor is quad core. I suspect it is given the increase in performance.

2. They didn't mention mega pixels. I wonder if it's still an 8MP sensor. I don't care at all - just found it interesting.

3. Surprised they didn't increase to 32GB. I thought you could take this to the bank.

4. Odd pricing for the 5C. 99$ on contract would lead me to guess it'll be 550$ unlocked. That's expensive and not exactly accessible to the third world.

5. Keeping the 4S around? Do they redo it with a lightning port? Why keep the old screen size around? All around strange to me.

I would have guessed they went with a free on contract 5C at 16GB, 200$ on contract 5S 32GB.

...and calling/e-mailing/texting ex-girlfriends on the off-chance they'll invite you over for some "old time's sake" no-strings couch gymnastics...
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2013-09-10, 13:41

Apparently it's supposed to be a lowercase s. ie: iPhone 5s

So, what's the plural form? iPhone 5s's?
Quagmire
meh

2013-09-10, 13:44

Quote:
A few thoughts:

1. They downplayed whether the processor is quad core. I suspect it is given the increase in performance.

2. They didn't mention mega pixels. I wonder if it's still an 8MP sensor. I don't care at all - just found it interesting.

3. Surprised they didn't increase to 32GB. I thought you could take this to the bank.

4. Odd pricing for the 5C. 99$ on contract would lead me to guess it'll be 550$ unlocked. That's expensive and not exactly accessible to the third world.

5. Keeping the 4S around? Do they redo it with a lightning port? Why keep the old screen size around? All around strange to me.

I would have guessed they went with a free on contract 5C at 16GB, 200$ on contract 5S 32GB.

It's still 8 MP.

I wouldn't assume the A7 is quad core. They didn't specify core count when they debuted the A6 either.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2013-09-10, 13:54

AppIe's website makes no mention of the A7's innards. Si I suppose we will have to wait and see what folks like Chipworks find when they inevitably strip one down. I suspect it might still be dual or perhaps tri-core, because merely doubling the cores the double performance would suggest that no there improvements have been made, which I find highly unlikely.
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2013-09-10, 14:05

The ability to store multiple fingerprints is nice.

More LTE bands is a good thing too.
Quagmire
meh

2013-09-10, 14:27

Touch ID is really fast.

At 38 seconds....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXU63NXzg5A

EDIT: Yay. They brought back the dock.

Last edited by Quagmire : 2013-09-10 at 15:07.
Quagmire
meh

2013-09-10, 15:24

Read this on MR, but if a robber tries to cut your finger off just tell him it's an iPhone 5.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2013-09-10, 15:37

I think it would take a special kind of robber to go to such lengths. You can probably go on a pretty big iPhone robbing streak in most big cities around the world and enjoy some lead time before the law decides to hunt you proactively. But if you chop off some guys finger, then there will some sort of response. Do it twice and there will be an outright man hunt.

I'm more worried about someone finding a way of lifting the finger print data off a (temporarily) stolen iPhone and then using it in order gain surreptitious access on other iDevices, or something like that. It's not like you can just generate a new thumb print.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-09-10, 16:28

Where the shit is my 128GB version?