Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Apple CFO Peter Oppenheimer Gives Info on Company Direction

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple CFO Peter Oppenheimer Gives Info on Company Direction
Random Hero

2005-02-26, 19:16

http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/02...imer/index.php

Macworld (and linked from /.) is running a report about Peter Oppenheimer's recent appearance at Goldman Sachs Technology Investment Symposium

In it Oppenheimer states several things about about Apple's business plan, much of which is totally new information about the company's current and future direction.

Here's the nutshell summary:
Quote:
iPod "Halo" effect is causing some Windows switchers, little demand for satellite radio/iPod integration, iPod shuffle margins below HD ipods, happy with rate of growth - no plans to license OS X, margins on Mac mini equal to eMac (both below corporate average), retail store to expand to 125, no plans for media center PC - prefers to stream multimedia to TV from primary computer over wireless network, no video for iPod, portable media centers a failure.
A bit of an interesting read.

No awkward goodbyes. No 'still friends' bullshit. Just a couple of bruised titties and a failed relationship. I rule.
hmurchison
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to hmurchison  
2005-02-28, 13:12

I don't agree with this

Quote:
Oppenheimer articulated Apple's current philosophy when it comes to "media center" computers -- PCs designed to work in the living room as a component of a home entertainment system, recording video, playing back music and more. While Oppenheimer admitted some consumers may be interested in media center PCs and that a Mac mini might be suitable, he said that "most customers" would prefer to have a more powerful computer in their office or den and leverage wireless networking to stream content to their home entertainment system.

As a practical example, Oppenheimer pointed to AirTunes -- a feature of iTunes that works in conjunction with Apple's AirPort Express wireless networking hub. The AirPort Express features an audio jack that can connect to the home entertainment system using a mini jack or a digital optical cable. Music can then be streamed from the computer playing iTunes to the stereo.
Streaming works for small files like audio but in the near future we want to stream DVD and HDTV quality video files and todays wireless networks aren't up to the task IMO. Nor do I think people "prefer" to have a "powerful" computer leveraging wireless networking to stream content to their entertainment system. Maybe Petey gets this due to his 6 figure salary but the many of us working blokes would like a self contained unit that is plug and play with just enough networking options built in to expand.

omgwtfbbq
LoCash
Rest In Peace

2005-02-28, 13:26

Well, it sounds like a Mac Mini could stream to your television. I don't see that as being a huge compute intensive task, so why wouldn't Apple let you leverage a computer, which you already own presumedly, as opposed to giving you ANOTHER black box to stack on top of your TiVo, DVD Player, Cable Box, etceteras that only does one thing.

It is with great regret that we say our farewells to Jack, who passed away on May 28th, 2005. Jack, you will be missed by all

Superior thinking has always overwhelmed superior force. - Marine Corps Officers

"You don't lead by hitting people over the head-that's assault, not leadership." - General Eisenhower
Barto
Student extraordinaire

2005-03-01, 09:05

http://www.zensonic.com.au/press_z500.php

Windows, Mac OS X and Linux compatible. 802.11b/g, gigabit ethernet, USB 2.0 - Windows format iPod compatible. Plays DVDs, CDs, MPEG-4, DivX, XviD, WMV, WMA, MP3, OGG, ACC (aka .mp4). Etc. HDTV compatible, surround sound out. AUD429.

I'm thinking if Apple ever builds a media centre box (or AirPort Express Video, or whatever), it will be similar to this - wireless and wired, port for your iPod, plays a range of formats, HDTV compatible. I doubt Apple would include the DVD drive, but that's about it.

The sky was deep black; Jesus still loved me. I started down the alley, wailing in a ragged bass.
JLL

2005-03-02, 13:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barto
http://www.zensonic.com.au/press_z500.php

Windows, Mac OS X and Linux compatible. 802.11b/g, gigabit ethernet, USB 2.0 - Windows format iPod compatible. Plays DVDs, CDs, MPEG-4, DivX, XviD, WMV, WMA, MP3, OGG, ACC (aka .mp4). Etc. HDTV compatible, surround sound out. AUD429.

I'm thinking if Apple ever builds a media centre box (or AirPort Express Video, or whatever), it will be similar to this - wireless and wired, port for your iPod, plays a range of formats, HDTV compatible. I doubt Apple would include the DVD drive, but that's about it.
I agree - I suspect Apple to release an AirPort Express 2 with video capabilities in the future.

There are a ton of integrated DVD players and HD recorders out there, and IMO they do the job much better than a computer.

- No matter where you go, there you are.