AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

linux on a mac

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
linux on a mac
Louie
I hate content

Send a message via AIM to Louie Send a message via MSN to Louie  
2005-08-29, 19:42

is there any reason for me to put linux on my powerbook 15inch?

please say yes or no, if yes please state why...
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2005-08-29, 20:02

Yes. To show all your windows friends how much better it is. Also, any machine is twice as cool when it can dual-boot to another OS.
Ghostnine

Send a message via AIM to Ghostnine  
2005-08-29, 20:05

um, i can't think of a real reason to use Linux on a Mac other than the "Because i can" factor... the linux PPC software collection isn't nearly as huge as the x86 collection

this isn't really a "yes or no" question... it's more of a personal preference thing, so only your own needs can dictate that answer
AsLan^
Not a tame lion...

2005-08-29, 20:09

No, unless you are particularly fond of one linux distribution, all the good stuff is already available for OSX. I did it a couple of years ago to squeeze some performance out of my ibook when it was running 10.1.5 A year later when I installed Panther, Panther seriously improved performance and I didnt need a Linux partition anymore.
faramirtook
A for effort.

2005-08-29, 20:15

If you enjoy screwing around with the internal workings of the OS, and enjoy the CLI, then yes, linux is right for you. But there is no real reason because OS X is more usable.

Now, depending on how much tinkering you want to do, you now have to make distro choices. if you want to learn how linux works and have lots and lots of time that you don't need your mac (3-4 days), I'd try Gentoo. If you just want to use Linux, and not know it so well, I'd go with Ubuntu.

Gentoo is source-based, so EVERYTHING is built from source. Takes a looooong time, but you learn about the system more, and is Teh Snappy™, because you can optimise for your system with compiler flags, and what support you want and don't want in a program with USE flags.

Ubuntu is Debian-package based, which is by far the best binary (pre-compiled) package format and application there is. Ubuntu is very user-friendly, and required very little terminal work and knowledge of the system. In a year or so, ubuntu will be almost as user-friendly as OS X is now. It is already more friendly than any other linux system out there right now, I think.

If you're not into geeky-ness, however, Linux may not be for you.

Ale, man, ale's the stuff to drink
For fellows whom it hurts to think
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-08-29, 20:21

No. Linux is very difficult to install and use. Don't let any Linux users try and convince you otherwise; it's simply not right for you. It might be right for them because they have the time and patience to troubleshoot everything, but it's not a suitable operating system for most people.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2005-08-29, 20:33

*hits Luca over the head for his ignorance*

Linux has gotten much better and more user-friendly lately. Try Ubuntu.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-08-29, 20:38

If you have to ask, then the answer is definitely no (unless you are already a certifiable Linux Geek).

You can get as showoff-geeky as you want with existing OS X features like Terminal and X11.
Batman

2005-08-29, 20:39

True. Luca, I don't know when you last used linux, but it has gotten easier to use. However, it still isn't as smooth operating as OS X.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-08-29, 20:50

Look at it this way. I think I might just be ready to install Linux (if I wanted to). I have used Macs for over ten years and I know a lot about them.

Louie, on the other hand, had problems with his screen saver the other day. I'm not saying he's stupid, because I don't think he is. But he's not the kind of geek who's going to be able to install and use (and appreciate) any distro of Linux, no matter how user-friendly it is. I mean, I think I'm just arriving there, and I know I'm more of a geek than Louie is.

I don't think you need ten years of computing experience to be able to install Linux but I do believe that our own perceptions are skewed by our expertise in such areas. In reality, to most people, even an OS as elegant and simple as OS X is pretty complex and requires a lot of time to learn. Linux is harder, period. That's why I usually don't listen to Linux advocates who say it's gotten easier. I'm sure it's better than it used to be but that doesn't make it any more accessible to 95% of the computer-using public.
Batman

2005-08-29, 20:55

Yeah, taking the screensaver issue into consideration, Linux probbly isn't for Louie (Note to Self: Remember that not all people are at the same level of geekieness )

Last edited by Batman : 2005-08-29 at 20:57.
ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2005-08-29, 22:59

heh, i have issues getting linux to work nicely on my pc (trying to set up a mythTV box), i'd hate to run into the same level of frustration with my mac

(anyone konw how to get fedora to play nicely with the tv out on my radeon 9200?)
sunrain
Veteran Member

2005-08-30, 00:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbartbeans
*hits Luca over the head for his ignorance*

Linux has gotten much better and more user-friendly lately. Try Ubuntu.
*hits atomicbartbeans over the head for his skewed view of the abilities of the average computer user*

No doubt that Linux distros have gotten much more user friendly. I totally agree. Luca is right though, linux installs (and learning the OS) are still not viable for the mainstream user. Linux still requires more than a modicum of ability and an adventurous nature. (I believe they'll be adding this to the system requirements soon)

"What a computer is to me is it's the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with, and it's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds."
- Steve Jobs
Louie
I hate content

Send a message via AIM to Louie Send a message via MSN to Louie  
2005-08-30, 09:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrain
*hits atomicbartbeans over the head for his skewed view of the abilities of the average computer user*

No doubt that Linux distros have gotten much more user friendly. I totally agree. Luca is right though, linux installs (and learning the OS) are still not viable for the mainstream user. Linux still requires more than a modicum of ability and an adventurous nature. (I believe they'll be adding this to the system requirements soon)
*hits sunrain over the head because he under estimates louie*
guys im not your average user, i know some bash, i have installed linux on a pc before (had wireless problems though) i heard that linux runs great on a mac, does linux support wireless when running on a mac?

spell checking?!?
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-08-30, 09:22

Heh, you should smack me over the head too because I think I was the first one to underestimate you! Of course, at the very beginning of this thread you asked that we give you a simple yes-or-no answer, and you don't exactly have a huge base of posts on which to base our opinion of you, so you kind of brought it on yourself.

Anyway, like others have said, Linux has gotten easier. If you're not afraid of a few bumps in the road, you should be able to get it working. I don't know why you'd want to, given that you have OS X on your computer. Generally I see Linux as a way for PC users to escape Windows, so I don't see the point of using it on a Mac except as a novelty.
sunrain
Veteran Member

2005-08-30, 09:59

Ow. Can't we stop the circle of violence?

Yup, putting Linux on a Mac really is a novelty act. You'd be better off building a separate x86 machine (or find a used machine) for your Linux cravings. A much more productive route? Install X11 on your machine.

"What a computer is to me is it's the most remarkable tool that we've ever come up with, and it's the equivalent of a bicycle for our minds."
- Steve Jobs
faramirtook
A for effort.

2005-08-30, 10:02

Yeah, running linux on your primary machine is a good way to screw stuff up, and get good at installing OS X. I'd look into getting an old mac, like a iMac G3 or a Blue and White retrofitted with a G4 to tinker with, if you want to run linux/ppc.

Ale, man, ale's the stuff to drink
For fellows whom it hurts to think
euain

2005-08-30, 10:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie
is there any reason for me to put linux on my powerbook 15inch?

please say yes or no, if yes please state why...
<grammar-pen^Hdant> (Doh..!)

Yes - maybe the shift key will work on your machine then? (Along with the apostrophe and other punctuation keys judging by your other posts..).

</grammar-pedant>

Other than that, yes if you want to play with Linux. Otherwise, no. Linux user experience is not going to be anywhere near a nice as OSX.

I can get all the software I want under OSX - and so far, all the GPLed stuff I want has compiled with no problems. I'd probably have to compile it anyway under Linux PPC so I gain nothing from having it installed.

I don't know about Linux on PB - on intel laptops, it worked fine but you have to spend hours configuring power-saving settings to get battery life even near that you'll get with Windows. All the toggles were there but you had to go and set them yourself or download scripts to set them etc.

If you want Linux to get access to other Linux software - Oracle for example - then you need to go x86 Linux anyway - PPC won't work. (Oracle's not a great example actually, you can get this native OSX).

Euain

Last edited by euain : 2005-08-30 at 14:14.
*Joe*

Send a message via AIM to *Joe* Send a message via MSN to *Joe*  
2005-08-30, 13:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by euain
<grammar-pendant>

Yes - maybe the shift key will work on your machine then? (Along with the apostrophe and other punctuation keys judging by your other posts..).

</grammar-pedant>

Other than that, yes if you want to play with Linux. Otherwise, no. Linux user experience is not going to be anywhere near a nice as OSX.

I can get all the software I want under OSX - and so far, all the GPLed stuff I want has compiled with no problems. I'd probably have to compile it anyway under Linux PPC so I gain nothing from having it installed.

I don't know about Linux on PB - on intel laptops, it worked fine but you have to spend hours configuring power-saving settings to get battery life even near that you'll get with Windows. All the toggles were there but you had to go and set them yourself or download scripts to set them etc.

If you want Linux to get access to other Linux software - Oracle for example - then you need to go x86 Linux anyway - PPC won't work. (Oracle's not a great example actually, you can get this native OSX).

Euain
I assume you intended to write "grammar PEDANT" at the start of your post?
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-08-30, 13:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Joe*
You are such a spelling pendant
euain

2005-08-30, 14:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Joe*
I might have... at least it wasn't "spelling pedant"..

Oh well.. I'll go back to my glass house and get some more stones to throw...

Euain
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-08-30, 15:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by euain
I don't know about Linux on PB -
I don't know what he had to do to get it going, but a friend of mine was coding Linux stuff on his then-new Powerbook back in 2001.

I think it's cool, but I -- that is, ME, personally, not implying anyone else -- just don't have any reason to use it. Plus, when people can honestly say things like, "...you can optimise for your system with compiler flags, and what support you want and don't want in a program with USE flags," I don't know what the hell they're talking about, and I don't need to learn any more programming stuff.

My car is my hobby, not my computer.. lol
thuh Freak
Finally broke the seal

2005-08-31, 14:16

WRT your powerbook 15in, GNU/Linux and wireless: NO.

the wireless adapter that apple uses in the 15 in (probably all their current LTs; btw, many vendors use the same adapter) will not work in linux. there are no drivers to use it, and none are likely to be created in the near future. the vendor of the card (can't recall the name) is unable to produce open specs, citing legal and technical restrictions. iirc, the adapter is capable of operating outside of regulated frequencies (supposedly used by three lettered groups in the government), and that option isn't allowed to end-users by law. to avoid giving OSS developers the availability to grant that option, the spec was never opened.

BUT, on the other hand, you can buy a separate wireless PC card. linux does have drivers available for some of those. personally, i just stretch out a long cat5 that keeps me tethered around my apartment. i haven't yet ventured outside with this puppy, so i haven't needed wireless. (i have a 15in pbook, with Gentoo GNU/Linux on it; i use it, b/c i don't like osx, but i [liked] apple hardware)