User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Your *possible* 2008 Presidential Vote

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
View Poll Results: Vote for *one* person for President.
Senator Joe Biden ( eight Democrats) 0 0%
Senator Hillary Clinton 12 13.64%
Senator Christopher Dodd 0 0%
Former Senator John Edwards 4 4.55%
Former Senator Mike Gravel 0 0%
Representative Dennis Kucinich 7 7.95%
Senator Barack Obama 25 28.41%
Governor Bill Richardson 1 1.14%
Senator Sam Brownback (ten Republicans) 0 0%
Rudy Giuliani, former mayor of New York City 7 7.95%
Mike Huckabee, former Governor of Arkansas 5 5.68%
Representative Duncan Hunter 0 0%
Dr. Alan Keyes 0 0%
Senator John McCain 3 3.41%
Representative Ron Paul 19 21.59%
Mitt Romney, former Governor of Massachusetts 2 2.27%
Representative Tom Tancredo 1 1.14%
Fred Thompson, former senator of Tennessee 2 2.27%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Your *possible* 2008 Presidential Vote
Page 1 of 5 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Thread Tools
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-10-11, 20:58

Thought it might be interesting to see how AN members are thinking of casting their vote for president, when November, 2008, rolls around.

Of course, this poll is anonymous.

I haven't decided for whom I wish to vote yet in real life, so don't know what I'll do with this poll.

I hope I have enough poll options for all 18 candidates. If not, I'll have to leave out a few.

Please give me ten minutes to type the poll.

A list of candidates, for both parties:

Democrats

Senator Joe Biden

Joe Biden, born November 20, 1942, in Scranton, Pennsylvania, U.S. Senator from Delaware, 1973–Present.

Senator Hillary Clinton

Hillary Rodham Clinton, born October 26, 1947, in Illinois, U.S. Senator from New York and former First Lady of the United States. Many Republicans appear to be hoping that Senator Clinton will run for President, presumably believing her to be a polarizing figure.

First Lady of Arkansas: 1979–1981 and 1983–1992
First Lady of the United States: 1993–2001
U.S. Senator from New York: 2001–present

Senator Christopher Dodd

Christopher Dodd, was born May 27, 1944, in Connecticut and is a five-term U.S. Senator from that state. U.S. Senator from Connecticut: 1981–Present.

U.S. Representative from the Connecticut's 2nd congressional district: 1975–1981

Former Senator John Edwards

John Edwards, born June 10, 1953, in South Carolina, former U.S. Senator from North Carolina, 1999–2005.

Director of the Center on Poverty, Work, and Opportunity at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill: 2005–2006
Council on Foreign Relations.

Former Senator Mike Gravel

Mike Gravel, born May 13, 1930, in Springfield, Massachusetts. U.S. Senator from Alaska from 1969 to 1981 and an active candidate for Vice President in 1972.

He is most known for playing a key role in ending the draft during the Vietnam War through the release of the Pentagon Papers and through staging a one-man filibuster for 5 months. Alaska State Representative: 1962–1966 (Speaker: 1965–1966)
U.S. Senator from Alaska: 1969–1981.

Representative Dennis Kucinich

Dennis Kucinich, born October 8, 1946, in Cleveland, Ohio. Ohio Congressman, former Mayor of Cleveland, and 2004 Democratic primary candidate.

Dennis Kucinich is known by many as "The Peace Candidate", having received the 2003 Gandhi Peace Award. Kucinich opposed the war in Iraq and the Patriot Act.
Mayor of Cleveland: 1978–1979
U.S. Representative from Ohio's 10th congressional district: 1997–Present

Senator Barack Obama

Barack Obama, born August 4, 1961, in Honolulu, Hawaii, U.S. Senator from Illinois. A "draft Obama" movement began with his well-received 2004 Democratic National Convention keynote address.
U.S. Senator from Illinois: 2005–Present

Governor Bill Richardson

Bill Richardson, born November 15, 1947, in Pasadena, California, Governor of New Mexico, former U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, Secretary of Energy and U.S. Representative. If elected he would be the first Hispanic American to hold Presidential Office.

Governor of New Mexico: 2003–Present
United States Secretary of Energy: 1998–2001
United States Ambassador to the United Nations: 1997–1998
U.S. Representative from the New Mexico's 3rd congressional district: 1983–1997

Republicans

Senator Sam Brownback

Sam Brownback, born September 12, 1956, in Kansas, senior Senator from that state, is well known for his social and fiscal conservative record, such as opposing abortion and instituting a flat tax alternative to the current IRS Code.

Brownback has said, "I'm a son of a farmer from Kansas ... I still think anybody can be president. I don't think you have to show up with $100 million to do it. ... I'm the tortoise in the race. And I don't like how the race starts; I like how it ends up."

Rudy Giuliani former mayor of New York City

Rudy Giuliani, born May 28, 1944, in New York, former mayor of New York City. Giuliani is pro-choice, and supports a type of civil union between same sex couples and agrees for legal and medical reasons that same sex relationships should get the same rights under the law.

He also believes in strong restrictions on the right to keep and bear arms and agrees with harsh punishment for illegal weapons or non permitted weapons.

If elected, Giuliani would be the first Italian-American to hold the office of president, the second Roman Catholic, following John Kennedy.

Mike Huckabee, former Governor of Arkansas

Mike Huckabee, born August 24, 1955, in Hope, Arkansas, served as Governor of Arkansas for over 10 years.

Representative Duncan Hunter

Duncan Hunter, born May 31, 1948, in Riverside, California, U.S. Representative from that state and former Chairman of the House Armed Services Committee.

He is known for his strong stance against illegal immigration, support and opposition to free trade agreements like North American Free Trade Agreement and the World Trade Organization.[29] He introduced H.R. 552, The Right to Life Act, "to implement equal protection . . . for the right to life of each born and preborn human person"; it has over 100 co-sponsors.

Dr. Alan Keyes

Alan Keyes, born August 7, 1950, is a former Reagan administration diplomat, a Harvard-educated constitutional scholar, and a conservative political activist. He is also a former television and radio talk show host.

Senator John McCain

John McCain, born August 29, 1936, in the US-controlled Panama Canal Zone, Senator from Arizona. Often characterized as a Republican maverick in the Senate, he is well-known.

McCain's bipartisan compromise on judicial nominations and his strong support of campaign finance reform have drawn the ire of many groups, many of which have vowed to work against any McCain campaigns for the Republican nomination in 2008.

However, he has a strong stance on many issues and economically falls more along the lines of traditional "fiscal conservatism." These factors, along with his commitment to the War on Terror (including Iraq) have boosted his popularity amongst conservatives since 2004, when he emphasized these traits while stumping for Republican candidates.

Representative Ron Paul

Ron Paul, born August 20, 1935, in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, is a long time U.S. Representative from Texas with a strong constitutionalist and libertarian voting record. Paul has been nicknamed "Dr. No" for his opposition to tax increases and spending bills.

He has chastened his fellow Republicans for abandoning the party's ideals, and for helping to create an unsustainable national debt now in the trillions of dollars.[31] Paul seeks to "reinstate the Constitution and restore the Republic."[32]

He is not running as a Libertarian as he did nearly two decades ago. Paul has the distinction of being opposed to the Iraq War and interventionist US foreign policy. He is one of 7 Republican congressman who voted against Iraq War authorization in October 2002. He has also opposed George W. Bush and the majority of Republican congressmen on many other issues, including the PATRIOT Act. His record on these issues means he may draw support from some surprising circles, including anti-war activists and paleoconservatives.

Mitt Romney, former Governor of Massachusetts

Mitt Romney, born March 12, 1947, in Michigan, is former Governor of Massachusetts; he did not seek a second term in November 2006. Romney is running on his record as co-founder of Bain Capital, the CEO of the 2002 Winter Olympics, and his record as Governor of Massachusetts.

Although he ran as a moderate for the office of Governor of Massachusetts and during his failed Senate bid in 1994, he supported more conservative positions as his term progressed.

Representative Tom Tancredo

Tom Tancredo, born December 20, 1945, in Colorado, U.S. Representative from that state and leading advocate for more restrictive immigration policies.

Fred Thompson, former Senator of Tennessee

Fred Dalton Thompson, born August 19, 1942, former Senator from Tennessee and actor, best known for playing D.A. Arthur Branch on Law & Order.

"I think people are somewhat disillusioned. I think a lot of people are cynical out there. I think they're looking for something different."
drewprops
Space Pirate

2007-10-11, 21:03

<ahem>

Beer.

Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-10-11, 21:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
<ahem>

Beer.

Noooooo...... Please, no beer. Not this time.

murbot
Hoonigan

2007-10-11, 21:12

Beer.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2007-10-11, 21:13

Can I vote in this poll even though I can't vote at the polls? (yeah, I'm old enough, I'm just one of those pesky foreigners living here)
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-10-11, 21:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
Can I vote in this poll even though I can't vote at the polls? (yeah, I'm old enough, I'm just one of those pesky foreigners living here)
YES! Please vote.

Anyone can vote.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2007-10-11, 21:15

I'm not old enough to vote. Sorry carol.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-10-11, 21:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windowsrookie View Post
I'm not old enough to vote. Sorry carol.
In *my* poll you are, sugarplum.

So, knock yourself out, and vote while you have the chance.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2007-10-11, 21:17

I can't formulate an opinion until the candidates are hashed out for each party... so, I'll hold off until next summer.
judeobscure

2007-10-11, 21:18

I must read things more carefully. I thought it said Representative Ru Paul instead of Ron Paul.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2007-10-11, 21:18

Should we say who we voted for and why? If not, too bad.

Edwards. I realize he's a politician and has said things to get ahead. But I really feel like he's coming out swinging. He's not pulling any punches and is trying to be the populist candidate we need. He's got some real ideas about how to fix things and he's willing to stand up for them.

I've been very disillusioned with Obama's silence on so many issues and his hedging his bets and using very measured language. And don't get me started on that chickenhawk in a democrat's clothing known as Hillary Clinton. If she wins the nomination, I *will* vote for her because I can't stomach another day of republican control of the White House, but I won't like it.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-10-11, 21:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcfsu View Post
I can't formulate an opinion until the candidates are hashed out for each party... so, I'll hold off until next summer.
Well, *this* is just a sort of 'test' vote... to see how things are starting to shape up.

A good place to *practice* for the real thing.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-10-11, 21:28

Here's a poll that says:

Quote:
NEW YORK — Even though it is still months before the first vote in a primary election and there is more than a year to go before the general election, many Americans already believe Hillary Clinton will be the next president of the United States.

More than 4 of 10 voters (44 percent) think another Clinton presidency is inevitable, which is almost four times as many as see Republican Rudy Giuliani winning the White House (12 percent), according to a newly released FOX News poll.

Not only do 61 percent of Democrats believe Clinton will be the next president, but also 25 percent of Republicans and 45 percent of independents.
Frankly, I was pretty surprised when I saw this article an hour or two ago. It's why I decided to do this poll.

Link
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-10-11, 21:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Should we say who we voted for and why? If not, too bad.

I'm glad you have stated your reasons. I think people's reasons are extremely interesting.
colivigan
Veteran Member

2007-10-11, 21:30

I was really looking for the beer option, but the closest I could get was Mike Huckabeer.

And that's really not acceptable.

So I guess I won't be voting after all.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2007-10-11, 21:33

More than a year yet to go in the elections and it's already decided.... I love that.
colivigan
Veteran Member

2007-10-11, 21:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept View Post
Frankly, I was pretty surprised when I saw this article an hour or two ago. It's why I decided to do this poll.
Wow, did Fox even leave Manhattan when they took that poll? Nothing against Hillary, but no way she's winning all those red states. Too much baggage. The Democrats need to wise up and nominate somebody electable.

OK ... back to the beer.
Axl

2007-10-11, 21:42

Quote:
Here's a poll that says:

Link
If the media continues to repeat Hillary Clinton's rise to Presidency as an inevitability, it'll happen just like Iraq… WMD, WMD, WMD, terrrrawr

I choose Beer - Foothills Sexual Chocolate Imperial Stout

If I could vote - Ron Paul

and in a perfect world, having a beer with Ron Paul.

Last edited by Axl : 2007-10-11 at 22:43.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2007-10-11, 21:44

Personally, I'm surprised Fox did a poll that painted a Democrat as likely to win at all.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2007-10-11, 21:47

Quote:
Here's a poll that says:

Link
I guess I'm in the 65% of independents that don't think she'll be the next president... or who haven't bothered looking because the primary elections are just short of useless. Though, I also live in a state where the entire Democratic party has boycotted so who knows.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2007-10-11, 21:59

Well, if I could pick any one candidate to be the next president, it would be Ron Paul. He's the only candidate who supports small government. Among Republicans, Giuliani is the only one I wouldn't be unhappy with. The others who have a chance (Thompson and Romney) are just rehashes of Bush, and I would be shocked and appalled if either of them won.

I like Edwards and I think he has a great shot at winning the general election, but getting through the primaries will be a lot harder. I also prefer Obama to Clinton.

As for long shot candidates... well, Kucinich and Paul make great pipe dreams. I see them as the only ones who might make big, significant changes in government, but they'll never win.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2007-10-11, 21:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capella View Post
Personally, I'm surprised Fox did a poll that painted a Democrat as likely to win at all.
Don't be. The drumbeat by the republicans crowning Hillary as the nominee is a concerted effort to rile up the republican base. She's more polarizing than any other candidate in the field and if anything will get the base out to vote, it's her on the other side of the ballot. Listen to the republican candidates and Fox news - she's who they want to be the democratic nominee. That poll is just more of the same "if you don't vote republican Hillary WILL WIN!!!!" to get the base motivated since their candidates can't do it.
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2007-10-11, 22:05

I'm from Chicago, so fix it so I can vote twice..........

I SAID FIX IT! MAKE IT WORK!

just kidding
colivigan
Veteran Member

2007-10-11, 22:14

Quote:
Don't be. The drumbeat by the republicans crowning Hillary as the nominee is a concerted effort to rile up the republican base. She's more polarizing than any other candidate in the field and if anything will get the base out to vote, it's her on the other side of the ballot. Listen to the republican candidates and Fox news - she's who they want to be the democratic nominee. That poll is just more of the same "if you don't vote republican Hillary WILL WIN!!!!" to get the base motivated since their candidates can't do it.
I think you just hit the nail on the head.
Axl

2007-10-11, 22:27

Quote:
Why would Ruport Murdoch host a fundrasier for Hillary? A Hillary and Rudy showdown secures the movement towards war with Iran and bigger government.
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2007-10-11, 22:28

Republicans can't motivate their base unless they can get the Democrats to step into a Gay Marriage or Abortion, or Swift Boat debate, what did Hitchcock call it? The McGuffin. That's what worked in Ohio in 2004, but that voter is pretty disillusioned with the GOP and will probably stay home next election.

A campaign that Bill & Hill are in won't lose focus. Smart Republicans fear Bill Clinton, Mightily.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2007-10-11, 22:32

Let's be blunt here. Every US president in history has been an old white guy. Have the factors accounting for that depressing fact subsided in the last few years? I think not. Sex and skin colour condemn Obama, Clinton and Keyes to far harsher judgement than the rest of them, who mostly look like bit-actors contesting a role as US president in a Hollywood blockbuster. By all accounts the three people I just mentioned are phenomenally talented (if also annoying and alarming in their various ways), but I have little confidence in any of them being given a fair shake.

The election is also so distant at this stage that it's a safe bet that anyone leading now will be languishing second-from-last come November 2008. So that's another reason to bet against Clinton.

I didn't vote in the poll, of course.

… engrossed in such factional acts as dreaming different dreams.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2007-10-11, 22:58

You forgot Christian, DG, though I don't know if there are any non-Christians among the candidates. But you're right, the distribution of gender, ethnicity, and religion is rather skewed. Allow me to illustrate this with a diagram (from my own humble website):

World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2007-10-11, 22:58

I would be inclined to vote for Obama, since I think that he has a good stance on issues and is a young body - which this office needs. The problem is that he hasn't really taken a unique stance on anything. I don't like the status quo, and I haven't heard enough to see him changing it. Yet.

I think that I will go with Ron Paul for this one. I dismissed him earlier because of all the crazy internet people were screaming his name like he was the Messiah, but after watching a few televised debates I had to agree with him. He of all candidates seems to be the most likely to get things done (or at least keeping us from attacking random countries).
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2007-10-11, 23:11

WLP, Obama and Paul are pretty far apart on the issues. Paul is appealing to me because he tells it like he sees it. I just think he sees it all wrong.