Apple leaving behing "i" naming scheme?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple leaving behing "i" naming scheme?
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2005-11-10, 01:29

I use Word all the time and I don't find much need to use Pages, although I like Keynotes at lot better than PowerPoint.
diagonalman

2005-11-10, 14:00

I think the "i" moniker was very astute.

While names like Tunes, Movie, Photo, Work, and Pod can be considered very minimalistic and Apple-like, the truth is they are also very bland. Put the "i" moniker in front of them and now you have a particularly unifying thread of connected products.

It also supports Apples current design theory of producing seamless interconnected solutions rather than just separate hardware or software a la M$ (as noted in a Recent Time Magazine article).

If Apple does begin to drop the "i" they would have to tread lightly to come up with distinct names that aren't too overly flashy or too boring. Could you imagine Apple naming something Vista?... or Pages? (Wait, they did name something Pages, carp.)

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2005-11-10, 17:05

I like the "i" thing too. ibook, iMac, etc, it just sounds personal. They aren't part of the Power lineup so I think "i" is good. I mean what would you name the ibook without the "i"? The consumer book? G4book? ibook for example just works. No need for some crazy name, ibook just stands out.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2005-11-12, 17:50

The iMac, iBook, iPod, iLife (iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, iCal, iSync) aren't likely to be dropped. Too iconic and identifiable for Apple.

From here on out products not directly descended from these are likely to follow the compound name style.

iWork could probably go either way as it isn't as popular as the other "i" products. However, a name change could be just too confusing at this stage of the game...

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.
Zap2

2005-12-04, 12:14

iBook iMac iLife iTunes are going anywere, and the others i like
cauldron

2005-12-04, 16:09

Just to nitpick (although on topic), it's not FrontRow, but Front Row. Same with Final Cut. Apple certainly does their share of MiddleCaps, but those two names just sound weird if you try to say them too fast, like they were one word.

As for iCal, my theory is that it stands for "interim," like when Steve was iCEO, and that when the program grows up it'll be called Calendar, to go alongside Mail. But that's just me.