User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

iMac heat/power dissipation

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iMac heat/power dissipation
toyotaco01

2006-01-07, 18:29

I've searched around the forums but didn't find a post about this.

I've read that some people have had probs with iMac's overheating because the G5 gets so hot. Since the G5 won't go into the iBook or Powerbooks because it draws so much power and hence gets pretty hot, what kind of similar probs are there in an iMac with a G5 since things are pretty tight under the case (similar to a notebook)? Have any of you guys had this prob?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-01-07, 18:40

Actually, I don't think I've ever read a specific case of an iMac or *Book overheating. I've seen a few very vague references like you mentioned, but never anything concrete.

I don't think it's a problem at all. If anything, the problems are so few and far between that they are statistically insignificant.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2006-01-07, 19:01

I believe it had to do with a bad batch of capactitors as far as iMac problems, and I think this is addressed in their current iMac G5 repair program.

http://www.apple.com/support/imac/re...ensionprogram/
toyotaco01

2006-01-07, 22:15

Ok, thanks for the quick replies. I'm pretty new to Apple products and it just seems like if the G5 wasn't suittable for a labtop it would sure require quick a bit of fans and other cooling mechanism to work in the similar environment of an iMac.

MCQ: You're link seems to address the problem that I've seen online regarding overheating. Thanks for finding it.
toyotaco01

2006-01-07, 22:24

Sorry, one more thing: Does it say somewhere on the box what rev a particular product is? Or do you go by date? How do you determine the rev of a particular Apple (namely, iMac) product? Thanks
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2006-01-07, 22:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotaco01
Sorry, one more thing: Does it say somewhere on the box what rev a particular product is? Or do you go by date? How do you determine the rev of a particular Apple (namely, iMac) product? Thanks
It's done by date, i.e. the first product of a generation is Rev. A, the second is Rev. B, and so on. A good program for figuring this out is Mactracker, which has specs for every Mac ever made. If you know the specs, then you can figure out which Rev. it is.
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2006-01-07, 22:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotaco01
labtop
Sorry. Couldn't resist. It's a laptop as in something you could put on your lap.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-01-07, 23:07

Actually, it's not laptop either. Apple hasn't classified it's PowerBooks or iBooks as such for years. They're notebook computers and although you're probably fine keeping them on your lap, it's probably not the best way to work, especially as temperatures rise.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
toyotaco01

2006-01-09, 14:21

Thanks for the correction and for the help!