Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

A Deceptive Attack Machine

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
A Deceptive Attack Machine
drewprops
Space Pirate

2004-05-18, 08:33

I woke up late this morning to find my television tuned to Katie Couric interviewing David Brock, the author of a book called "The Republican Attack Machine". Brock explained that he was a reformed Republican who'd worked for this so-called RAM during the Clinton years. He described his book as a documentation of how this RAM came into existence through the efforts of people like Rupert Murdoch, Rev. Moon, Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity. Old ground that's been covered a bazillion times.

What was amazing to me was the manner of the interview, as if this were some newly discovered "fact" in the fight between liberals and conservatives. All of Katie's questions were engineered to assist the author's replies, which was especially amusing when they danced their way through the area of liberal bias in the media. If I were a fourteen year old girl eating cereal at the breakfast table I might just take that bait and let them set the hook in my (metaphorically political) mouth.

So this is the way that the left combats the right and I must take my hats off to them because couching their messages in friendly dialogue between two seemingly reasonable people is a terribly effective way to discredit those people like Limbaugh and Hannity who come away painted as shrill hucksters (which they admittedly are so often).

Were I younger I would take offense at the social manipulation inherit in that interview. At this point in my life all I can do is lean back and admire (and simultaneously loathe) the nerve it took to do that interview with straight faces.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
rick1138

2004-05-20, 23:46

I'm going to meet David Brock next weekend.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2004-05-21, 06:46

Well tell him that I'm very cross with him and that he owes me an explanation.
rick1138

2004-05-22, 00:59

Actually I am going to ask him if he thinks there is any connection between the freepers enemies list and the detention of Nick Berg in Iraq.
autodata
hustlin

2004-05-24, 11:38

One would think the energy would be better spent speaking out against news outlets that only operate in this manner. :/
AsLan^
Not a tame lion...

2004-05-24, 17:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick1138
Actually I am going to ask him if he thinks there is any connection between the freepers enemies list and the detention of Nick Berg in Iraq.
are you a reporter ? (seriously, I'm curious)