User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

How to ensure your privacy?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
How to ensure your privacy?
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2008-06-09, 09:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Because [..] Google [is] a megacorporation that makes money from indexing documents and selling advertisements based on the content of said documents with keeping your own personal and private documents? [..]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tensdanny38 View Post
Are we really worried about someone hacking in to Google or hacking into my personal machine?!?
ARGUMENT_MISMATCH_ERROR

PLEASE_RESTART_TO_FIX
Partial
Stallion

2008-06-09, 14:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
ARGUMENT_MISMATCH_ERROR

PLEASE_RESTART_TO_FIX
I was wondering about what Brad was implying as well and I think I understand.

What ads are they going to sell on someones unpublished book exactly? While it is stored and indexed, I don't see anyone except the user having access to it.

...and calling/e-mailing/texting ex-girlfriends on the off-chance they'll invite you over for some "old time's sake" no-strings couch gymnastics...
Partial
Stallion

2008-06-09, 14:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koodari View Post
Roboman, I think if you want to be thorough, you'll assume everything you carry with you *will* be stolen, and work from there.

Full disk encryption on the laptop -> no one will get anything out of it.
Backups at home/elsewhere -> at most, you lose last work.

I wouldn't bother with the wristwatch thingy. The laptop should be encrypted anyway to stop anyone from pulling the data out of temp files, caches or virtual memory, and if you did carry the wristwatch you'd have to encrypt the stuff on it because it can be robbed or stolen as well.
Yes, but what about if someone steals his back-up at home?

I'm thinking he should buy a server farm with armed guards for the sake of data redundancy and keep several hard copies in assorted safe deposit boxes and have the keys surgically implanted in him.

...and calling/e-mailing/texting ex-girlfriends on the off-chance they'll invite you over for some "old time's sake" no-strings couch gymnastics...
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2008-06-09, 15:21

Tensdanny, you where just about to get stabbed by some serious sarcasm courtesy of me, but you managed to come around nicely.

I'm busy reading that Little Brother story right now, so I'm a little distracted. Yeah and I missed the keynote.

Just wanted to post this from PGP over at Ars. Apparently they think they are better than File Vault now. I can sort of see what they mean in an enterprise setting, but for private users, it just sounds like hassle.

Well, yeah. Now that me.com or WTF that thing is, has just grown to 20 GB, my File Vault is going to spass when my iDisk gets all knocked up like like some insolent trollop.

And I need some sleep! Good night guys, see ya tomarrow.

Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2008-06-09, 18:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
So shall I take it that you, Swox, don't really live in Toronto?
Let's just say I've got a lot of spare time on my hands (or do I?!)...