User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

I swear, I've never seen this happen to a person...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
I swear, I've never seen this happen to a person...
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2004-08-11, 06:15

I don't even know what to say...I'm speechless.

I got out of my car today, and went to close the car door, and the god damn door came off! Besides tommy boy, when in the hell have you ever seen a door fall off a car without an accident or anything?! I mean what do you do? I just lifted it up and body slammed it against the car so it would latch and stay on. It was still connected by some piece, but I'm pretty sure that has to be bent with all the weight of the door on it, because it was like almost touching the ground. Plus the wires that run to the door or whatever.

But...I mean yeah it's an old car, but damn! It looks like the pin that goes through the hinge just snapped, so, I have no idea, guess I'll see if I can drive it home...the back way, not sure I feel confident flying 70 along the highway with a door partially connected to my car.

I expected, yeah sure, I speed on the highway, I push he engine, it could die. I might blow a speaker, because I blare country on my way to work. (oddly the only station I get clearly on the radio somehow ) but never did I expect the f'n door to fall off!

Last edited by ast3r3x : 2004-08-11 at 06:37.
LoCash
Rest In Peace

2004-08-11, 06:42

I once closed the passenger door to my truck and the sideview mirror shattered. That was ominous.
ast3r3x

2004-08-11, 06:54

...but your gd door didn't fall off!

I mean don't get me wrong, it was pretty funny, and thinking of tommy boy, I had to laugh, but I'm still in shock that that could even happen.

I wouldn't drive after breaking a mirror
ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2004-08-11, 07:16

sliding door on a minivan did that to me once...
ast3r3x

2004-08-11, 07:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPoit
sliding door on a minivan did that to me once...
Opening or closing it? I think opening would be funnier, because you would slide it open and it would just keep going

I wish I could have seen it happen to me or someone, just because I am sure I had the most shocked look on my face.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2004-08-11, 08:16

Thats shocking. And what more, its going to be expensive to fix, unless your good with a welder. Unless I'm completely misunderstanding the situation. LoL. Keep us updated.
LoCash
Rest In Peace

2004-08-11, 08:29

and take some fucking pictures too
ast3r3x

2004-08-11, 08:32

Best part. It's raining! Hope I put the door on well enough that it won't leak! I'll take some pics when I get home (even though I work at a photography studio ). It is raining, I'm not going out in the rain. Hopefully it won't be too expensive, I think the pin in the hinge is what broke...by the looks of it.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-08-11, 09:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCash
and take some fucking pictures too
Yah no kidding....

Not to laugh at your misforunte but just picturing you body-slamming the door back into its slot is funny. Whenever we are confronted with off-the-wall stuff like this in public, it's humorous to watch what we do. None of us knows how to deal most times and will try to "fix" the problem in a way that any observer could guarantee won't work... but we try anyway.

Sometimes human nature is pretty cool.

...into the light of a dark black night.
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2004-08-11, 09:26

duct tape is the poor man's friend

g
murbot
Hoonigan

2004-08-11, 10:14

Cool car story. Almost as cool as my buddy who kept his washer fluid resevoir filled with rye, and had the hose running through the dash. Dude could bartend while driving. We were kind of screwed if it got mucky out, but what the hell, we couldn't see that good anyway.

But yeah man, hook us up with a shot of that door. I want to see bodyslamming action footage.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2004-08-11, 10:23

That is unreal... I've had a wheel come off while going down the road (due to an incompetent tire change at the shop - they didn't tighten the lugnuts on one wheel), but not the damned *door*...

Murbot, you'd have loved the car a buddy of my dad had in high school.

Keg in the trunk, tap line running to the glove compartment.

Also, he hated back seat drivers. Really really hated it. So he removed the nut holding on his steering wheel, and anytime someone bitched about his driving, he'd just hand them the wheel. While they were going down the road. He had locking pliers attached to the steering column farther down that he could steer with using his knees... but the other passengers couldn't see that.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2004-08-11, 10:57

ast3r3x

2004-08-11, 11:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs
Yah no kidding....

Not to laugh at your misforunte but just picturing you body-slamming the door back into its slot is funny. Whenever we are confronted with off-the-wall stuff like this in public, it's humorous to watch what we do. None of us knows how to deal most times and will try to "fix" the problem in a way that any observer could guarantee won't work... but we try anyway.

Sometimes human nature is pretty cool.
No I know, it's cool, It was interesting to say the least. I am sure it looked funny! But hey, it wasn't really as rigged up as duct tape or bungie cords It at least LOOKS normal still. Well cept the plastic bag over top
Windswept
On Pacific time

2004-08-11, 11:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegelding
duct tape is the poor man's friend

g
Damn!!! I LOVE this shot. I'm gonna have to send this to my computer-teacher friend. She always ends up with class sizes of 33 students, but she only has 30 computer stations. She'll probably have that photo blown up into poster-size to send to the school board.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2004-08-11, 11:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
That is unreal... I've had a wheel come off while going down the road (due to an incompetent tire change at the shop - they didn't tighten the lugnuts on one wheel), but not the damned *door*...

Murbot, you'd have loved the car a buddy of my dad had in high school.

Also, he hated back seat drivers. Really really hated it. So he removed the nut holding on his steering wheel, and anytime someone bitched about his driving, he'd just hand them the wheel. While they were going down the road. He had locking pliers attached to the steering column farther down that he could steer with using his knees... but the other passengers couldn't see that.
Kickaha, my dad went to start his car one time, and the steering wheel came loose in his hands. The car was a nearly-new Cadillac.
dmz

2004-08-11, 11:20

I hate it when that happens.
ast3r3x

2004-08-11, 11:28

At least the door didn't come off while I was driving! Although I'd rather that then a steering wheel come off while I was driving.

Kick, my boss had his tire almost come off when he was driving. Jealous ex of his wife I think he said. He said he pulled over before because he could feel it pretty much. Couldn't you, or was it just like "oh shit" when your car slants and you are scrapping. I am curious, how much control over the car did you have?
ast3r3x

2004-08-11, 11:51

Actually, we have our own duct tape professional on these boards. If I recall, Brad was pretty talented when putting together his dorm room.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2004-08-11, 11:59

It was pretty quick. I was doing about 40 on a straight road with no other traffic, thank god, but all of a sudden the back end shimmied, then popped up in the air, and I was looking down at the pavement through the windshield... then up at the sky, then it settled down as the brake assembly gouged a channel in the asphalt.

Then I watched my own tire bounce past me, across my path in the headlight beams, and into the ditch. Very surreal.

*shakeshudderpopBAMskreeeeeeeeeeeeboingboingboingt hud*
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2004-08-11, 12:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol
Kickaha, my dad went to start his car one time, and the steering wheel came loose in his hands. The car was a nearly-new Cadillac.
Yeah, my brother had that happen in my car once, he's never stopped giving me crap about it. *I* never noticed the wheel being loose, but for some reason he's assumed all these years that it was, and I was just too stupid to notice. Grr.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-08-11, 12:36

The first think I thought of was something that only the Chicago or northern Illinois folk in here will recognize. All I have to say is: Victory Auto Wreckers.

There is this commercial that has been on TV since I was born with a guy who walks up to his really old car, opens the door, and it falls off. Same commercial for the past 19 years.

And I'm sure I'll have a story similar to this coming soon, the passenger door on my van has seen better days.

Come waste your time with me
Spart

2004-08-11, 13:28

I've experienced the whole tire-falling-off thing, partially. I had one lug nut stud break off (probably the only one that was tight!) and three lug nuts so loose that the wheel had a great deal of side-to-side movement.

The one holding lug nut broke off after I hit a bump...luckily it was at low speed, in the very easy traffic of my home town.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-08-11, 13:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
...[snip]... Murbot, you'd have loved the car a buddy of my dad had in high school.

ingenious - both those ideas are way cool!
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-08-11, 14:23

When I was younger - just finished high school, a bunch of my mates and I (about six of us) ventured up to Queensland for the end of year celebrations. I did not have my licence at this stage but two of my friends did - so they did the driving.

Anyway, we hired a car whilst up there (we all chipped in) and used it predominantly to drive to the local bottle shop and the supermarket. One day two of them went to the local drive-in bottle shop and the drive-in attendant (supposedly) left the back door open whilst he went to get a case of beer. Apparently, at this point, some guy in a black four wheel drive "hooned" around the corner and took the whole door off!

Needless to say, they were shocked. But not shocked enough to not get this guy's address. Only, being new drivers, they were a "bit green" and took his word for all that he told them and did not think to get his licence number or registration.

They drove back to the flat - brought the case of beer into the unit and then told us the story. We spent the rest of our holiday in a futile search for a black four wheel drive. It was a lost cause. Obviously, we lost the deposit on the car!

All I want is a simple life
twitter