Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Stripped screw in my PowerBook!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Stripped screw in my PowerBook!
Ryan
Veteran Member

2006-12-30, 18:38

I was trying to install a new hard drive in my PowerBook today, and I was almost finished, but I ran into a stripped screw under the keyboard. I tired everything I could think of to get that screw out but nothing worked, so I reassembled the computer.

So, what are my options for getting this screw out, and, more importantly, getting a hard drive in?

Should I return the drive and send my PowerBook to PowerBookResQ? My dad wants to take it to a computer repair shop down the street (I'm skeptical about this one). Should I just buy a Firewire enclosure and put the new drive in that?
danielsza

Send a message via AIM to danielsza Send a message via MSN to danielsza  
2006-12-30, 23:11

I read somewhere (maybe even here) to try and superglue the screwdriver to the screw, then remove the screw.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2006-12-31, 00:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsza View Post
I read somewhere (maybe even here) to try and superglue the screwdriver to the screw, then remove the screw.
Thanks, I'll think about that.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2006-12-31, 00:35

If you have access to a dremel with a cutting wheel, use it to make a slot for a flathead screwdriver (or even better, two perpendicular slots for phillips) in the head of the screw.

If it's a tiny screw though, that may be too tedious, and you'd be better off with superglue... but why glue the screw head to a screwdriver? Use something with a rougher surface for better cohesion, like the end of a wooden dowel... might be a good idea to sand down the head of the screw first for added roughness.

You ask me for a hamburger.
danielsza

Send a message via AIM to danielsza Send a message via MSN to danielsza  
2006-12-31, 00:48

I did read that on AN

so here are some threads that might be helpful

Stripped Hex Screws

Getting a screw out
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2006-12-31, 03:25

If the superglue option does not work you can try this.. I have used this many times in the past with great success, particularly as most metal components in computers are so soft...

Use a very small drill bit and drill the head of the screw out.
Then lift the component it holds out and use finepoint pliers to remove the thread.

Do make sure you get rid of any swarf with compressed air, or a vacuum / soft brush.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt

Last edited by scratt : 2006-12-31 at 03:53.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-12-31, 03:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbartbeans View Post
If you have access to a dremel with a cutting wheel, use it to make a slot for a flathead screwdriver (or even better, two perpendicular slots for phillips) in the head of the screw.

If it's a tiny screw though, that may be too tedious, and you'd be better off with superglue... but why glue the screw head to a screwdriver? Use something with a rougher surface for better cohesion, like the end of a wooden dowel... might be a good idea to sand down the head of the screw first for added roughness.
This is inside his computer, no way you want those metal shavings on the MB and elsewhere.
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2006-12-31, 13:36

is it the head of the screw that is stripped so the screwdriver won't bite, or the thread so that the screw just spins in the hole?
Ryan
Veteran Member

2006-12-31, 17:14

Gargoyle: The former.

Anyways, it's irrelevant now. I tried the superglue method but even after five minutes (this stuff said it would cure in 90 seconds) I couldn't get it to hold. So, I scraped all the glue off with a flathead and got out a drill. I drilled through the screw and the head popped off, allowing me to get the upper portion of the case off. The rest of the screw is still in there.

So, the new hard drive is now installed. I booted up, and, of course, got a blinking question mark becuase there's no OS. No surprise there, I was expecting that. I go into my box of discs and start to hunt for my 10.4 install disc, but, uh, I can't find it.

So I now have a functioning (I think) computer with a brand new, 100Gb, 5400RPM drive...

...and I can't use it.

D'OH!
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2006-12-31, 17:21

D'OH indeed - bummer.

If you don't find your discs, you could always pop the old drive in a FireWire enclosure, use the Option key to boot from that drive, and then run SuperDuper to clone your old drive to your new one.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2006-12-31, 17:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL View Post
D'OH indeed - bummer.

If you don't find your discs, you could always pop the old drive in a FireWire enclosure, use the Option key to boot from that drive, and then run SuperDuper to clone your old drive to your new one.
That's my backup plan. I'm hoping the discs just got placed with one of the other computers when we moved over the summer.

At least I'll have New Year celebrations to keep me busy tonight.
Eugene
careful with axes

2006-12-31, 20:24

Go buy a set of Craftsman Screw-outs. There's never been a screw I couldn't get out with them, even the tiny ones...
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-12-31, 20:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
Go buy a set of Craftsman Screw-outs. There's never been a screw I couldn't get out with them, even the tiny ones...
The problem with screw-outs is that they usually will shred the screw initially, and any tiny metal shavings inside the computer could cause shorts on the MB down the line.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Eugene
careful with axes

2006-12-31, 21:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes View Post
The problem with screw-outs is that they usually will shred the screw initially, and any tiny metal shavings inside the computer could cause shorts on the MB down the line.
Take out the battery while you do it and then apply suction? There's plenty of ways to ruin a laptop...ants crawling in for example.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2006-12-31, 22:15

Thanks for the advice, everyone, but the problem is solved. I found the install disc, it was in the garage in a box that hadn't been unpacked yet.