User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Apple in deal with Fox for iTunes movie rentals, Fairplay on DVD? (Financial Times)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple in deal with Fox for iTunes movie rentals, Fairplay on DVD? (Financial Times)
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2007-12-27, 00:18

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/91d21b3c-b...0779fd2ac.html

Financial Times speculation for something potentially to be announced at MacWorld. Sounds like two parts, one for movie rental via iTunes. Second part for licensing Fairplay - to allow DVDs to include a Fairplay encoded version of movie for iPod transfer. Or perhaps the movie would be encoded with Fairplay during a ripping process by the computer? Not quite sure how to read it.

Second part seems interesting, easy legal way for people to have an iPod ready version of the movie without having to rip them. I don't know that I'd be more likely to buy a DVD because of it, but it'd be nice to have.
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2007-12-27, 09:20

I'd probably opt for the direct download version. What's also interesting (if this is true) is If they have new releases and are at least 720p (i'm not even dreaming of 1080 being offered), it could really give HD and Blu-ray a run for their money.

I mean, i was thinking about buying an HD-DVD/Blu-ray player pretty heavily until i read this story yesterday. Who needs the headache of a format war with ridiculously overpriced players if you can just rent an HD movie from iTunes for $3 for 30 days?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-12-27, 14:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBHockey View Post
I mean, i was thinking about buying an HD-DVD/Blu-ray player pretty heavily until i read this story yesterday. Who needs the headache of a format war with ridiculously overpriced players if you can just rent an HD movie from iTunes for $3 for 30 days?
The selection or lack of would be the major factor in if you needed a HD disk player. If only a handful of studios support iTunes then there are going to be a whole lot of movies you can't access still.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2007-12-27, 14:52

That's true, but i'm getting zero movies now without a pricey HD-DVD/BluRay player.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-12-27, 15:42

I don't want to burst you bubble, MBHockey, but I'm pretty sure it's going to be more than $3 for 30 days.
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2007-12-27, 16:30

I'm sure it will be, but even if it's comparable to Blockbuster in price, it's a better deal because it's so convenient. Hopefully we'll see at least 720p though.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2007-12-28, 11:40

Also interesting that Walmart has shut down their movie download business. Yeah, one competitor down, though it's one that didn't really want it to disrupt their DVD revenue. What was interesting about it was that it was one that all the studios bought into. Seems like that's the biggest stumbling block and why, outside of limited selection, that no movie download service has really taken off yet.

As for downloads at 720p, the big stumbling block as the speed of the download. Granted, Netflix (which doesn't offer 720p I don't believe) does have the "instant" view while downloading option, which I would think is something Apple would want to have as well.
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2007-12-28, 23:10

Looks like it's more than just Fox.

Last edited by MBHockey : 2007-12-28 at 23:39.
jcoley2
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to jcoley2  
2007-12-29, 08:29

Quote:
You can get a blu-ray for "free" when you buy a PS3, but that assumes you want a PS3.

I view this as an important development. For movies you want to see maybe once but do not want to go to the theater, you rent it. For others you might want to watch 10-50 times over your lifetime, you buy it and play it on your ridiculously overpriced players .

Now that I got a job, I can buy more Apple products!
Reid

2008-01-03, 15:47

I read somewhere that Apple trademarked the term "Triple Play." I personally think that a fair and attractive pricing/playback model for video download rentals would be something like this: 3 plays or 3 days for 3 dollars.

You'd have the option of a maximum of 3 plays or 3 days (from the time of the first play), whether that's on your iPod, iPhone, Apple TV, or through iTunes.
jcoley2
Veteran Member

2008-01-03, 16:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid View Post
You'd have the option of a maximum of 3 plays or 3 days (from the time of the first play), whether that's on your iPod, iPhone, Apple TV, or through iTunes.
That would be a clever marketing ploy, especially if he 3 plays were to be valid, say, forever or a long time giving people a long time to "use" it.

Now that I got a job, I can buy more Apple products!
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2008-01-03, 16:46

Honestly I just don't see this doing well unless Apple improves the video quality. I want at the very least full DVD quality if I'm going to put money down to rent, and there had better be some good titles available too.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2008-01-03, 17:08

Well I would expect it would take a little while to ramp up, especially if Apple hasn't made deals with all the studios yet. I agree about the quality though, for those of us with HDTVs it would suck if it looked excessively artifacty and grainy.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2008-01-04, 00:16

It would still look pretty good on a laptop or iPod/iPhone though.

I'd likely rent something every now and then. I'd love the fact of not having to go out of my house and also not having to watch an online video in XP/Vista IE only.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2008-01-04, 02:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
It would still look pretty good on a laptop or iPod/iPhone though.

I'd likely rent something every now and then. I'd love the fact of not having to go out of my house and also not having to watch an online video in XP/Vista IE only.
With AppleTV and movie rentals, I have to imagine that Apple realizes that most people watch movies on their TV.... and since AppleTV requires an HDTV... people watch movies on their HDTV.

It will be interesting to see what Apple does.

In my opinion, the best solution going forward is to have a library of movies available for a subscription fee per month of say 9.99, unlimited viewing on FairPlay devices, and new releases are an extra buck or two each to watch during that month.

Times have changed, there is no reason to have viewing limits, single rentals, and ridiculous restrictions and time restraints.
JohnnyTheA

2008-01-04, 02:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
With A
In my opinion, the best solution going forward is to have a library of movies available for a subscription fee per month of say 9.99, unlimited viewing on FairPlay devices, and new releases are an extra buck or two each to watch during that month.

Times have changed, there is no reason to have viewing limits, single rentals, and ridiculous restrictions and time restraints.
Cool idea. Kind of destructive to existing DVD sales (why buy anything if I can rent unlimited), and pay channels. It depends on how deep the library is. And that is the weakness of any kind of iTunes solution to buying or renting. It hinges upon Apple's ability to score deals with each of the studios. I USED to be able to buy Night Rider TV episodes on iTunes... Until NBC pulled the plug. Until all this is sorted out, Netflix is still probably the best model for consumers.

Anything but Blockbuster...

JTA
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2008-01-05, 13:30

With all this talk about Warner switching to Blu Ray, what if the next Apple TV included a BluRay disc player? I have no idea how much they'd charge for that, but it sounds like an awesome idea to me!
jcoley2
Veteran Member

2008-01-05, 13:31

Quote:
With all this talk about Warner switching to Blu Ray, what if the next Apple TV included a BluRay disc player? I have no idea how much they'd charge for that, but it sounds like an awesome idea to me!
MAybe the could also bundle it with EyeTV's software (from Titan) . . .then it would be kick ass.
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2008-01-05, 13:59

Turn it into a DVR? Maybe, but I don't know if Apple wants to go that route. Personally, the Blu Ray disc player seems more logical. But hey, I'm not Steve Jobs
Reid

2008-01-07, 18:07

Quote:
Something like that would certainly make me more inclined to buy an Apple TV. Sort of like what Netflix and LG announced. Now that's a device that's going to give everybody a run for their money!

My main problem with the Apple TV is not the lack of rentals, direct downloads, or even format support. It's that it doesn't do anything to simplify my home theater. It doesn't replace anything that's already there. That's what the iPod and the iPhone have done so successfully. The iPod replaced a portable CD player and the thick book of CDs I used to have to pack on any trip. The iPhone replaced a phone, a PDA, and, frankly, an iPod for most day-to-day use--with the added value of giving me mobile e-mail and internet access. If the Apple TV could similarly replace one or more existing devices (DVR, DVD player, whatever) along with the value it adds in new functionality, then it would be a much more successful product.