Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Door to Door Scam?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Door to Door Scam?
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-05-28, 18:39

Have any of you heard of an organization for African American youth entitled "American Community Service" or maybe "African American Community Service", where high-school aged kids go around selling magazines? I swear at least once a year, like clockwork, no matter where I live I get one of these kids asking me if I want to buy magazines. Presumably to help put them through school or for a summer job or whatever...

...but since I never give anyone who comes to my door anything in the way of information or money, I asked this kid if his organization had a web site. He indicated it did and gave me the above names, but nothing is coming up on my searches. Were it legit I might even consider helping this kid out but I'm pretty skeptical at this point.

Anyone heard of a legitimate organization by this description (or a scam by the same description)?

...into the light of a dark black night.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-05-29, 18:04

No one?? Maybe it's an Illinois thing....
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2004-05-29, 18:08

we don't have enough black kids in MN to support a city wide scam.

never seen it in person, but they did make some reference to it in Office Space. sorry, that's about the best i can do.
¡Damned!

2004-05-29, 18:14

According to this site ACS appears to be a scam (ACS linky).

[edit]: found the ACS website.
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2004-05-29, 18:36

a friend of mine has a kid who did this for a month or so...

he and his slacker friends were sitting in front of a 7-11 when an escalade pulled up...the guy offered them free room, board and pay to sell magazines door to door in denver (this is 500 miles away in albuquerque that he picked them up)...they went with him (i thought we might never see those kids again)...so the boy did it for a while then came home...not sure what the scam is, but he made very little money and the guy with the escalade was making a good bit of money...so he came home, still broke, but he did spend some time in denver

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2004-05-29, 18:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegelding
a friend of mine has a kid who did this for a month or so...

he and his slacker friends were sitting in front of a 7-11 when an escalade pulled up...the guy offered them free room, board and pay to sell magazines door to door in denver (this is 500 miles away in albuquerque that he picked them up)...they went with him (i thought we might never see those kids again)...so the boy did it for a while then came home...not sure what the scam is, but he made very little money and the guy with the escalade was making a good bit of money...so he came home, still broke, but he did spend some time in denver

g

... back when i was held hostage in denver...
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-05-29, 21:55

Maybe the kids are getting scammed if no one is buying... pyramid scheme? Anyway, I checked the consumer site and it pretty well spells out what was presented to me. Scam.

...into the light of a dark black night.