User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
E3 redux
Wrao
Yarp

2004-05-16, 15:14

Now that the E3 dust has settled, what do the gamers here have to say for themselves?

Metroid prime 2 has multiplayer, that should be hours of fun.

Donkey konga, a game that is controlled by midi conga peripherals...wtf?

The DS looks like it will kick ass, but I don't think I like the idea of portable gaming that much. I mean, I used to have a Gameboy, and my brother has a GBA, but it's never used, for me, I'm more of a "okay, I got some free time to partition to sitting down and gaming" type of guy.

Lastly, I thought I'd share this picture, fans of penny arcade will surely appreciate it
Gabe and Tycho
HOM
The Elderâ„¢

2004-05-16, 15:20

IMO, E3 was a turning point for Nintendo. They seem to have awaken to the fact that people above the age of 15 want blood, guts, and more 'mature' content. The Zelda video looked great, but it's going to be a while before it ships. N said that it will be playable at next year's E3. Really it seems like the video was released to steal some of Halo 2 and PSP's thunder.

I gotta say, the thing that really blew my mind was the Unreal 3 engine demo. I saw cleaner copy of it and I was absolutely floored. That demo alone might convince me to buy a PC gaming rig.

One thing about the Nintendo DS. Looks like it could become a PDA killer if someone came out with an office type 'game'. One that has contacts, calendars, email, and web. With the rumored $200 price point, it would be the cheapest WiFi enabled & touch screen equipped device out there.

CARTHAGO DELENDA EST

¡Viva La Revolucion!
Akumulator

2004-05-16, 15:26

I will definately be getting a DS as soon as they come out. I'm actually more likely to play a portable system than console... I'd take it with me to work. I don't sit in front of the TV much. The DS and PSP both look great and eventually will get both.

The Unreal 3 demo was amazing.... I have also been considering getting a PC for gaming but mostly because of Half Life 2. I'm going to hold out as long as possible to make sure I get a PC that will run the games nicely.
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2004-05-16, 15:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akumulator
I will definately be getting a DS as soon as they come out. I'm actually more likely to play a portable system than console... I'd take it with me to work. I don't sit in front of the TV much. The DS and PSP both look great and eventually will get both.

The Unreal 3 demo was amazing.... I have also been considering getting a PC for gaming but mostly because of Half Life 2. I'm going to hold out as long as possible to make sure I get a PC that will run the games nicely.
I'm thinking bout gettin a PC *just* for Half-Life too... crazy, I know (but I did buy an N64 *just* for Goldeneye... but then again a console is cheaper... ANYway). I'll post a thread for advice when I get some more time.

To me the DS looks so ugly and I don't quite "get" the two screens. Plus I'm into realism in games and FPS's ( ). PSP looks amazing, but I'm not sure if/when I would "do" portable games. And Sony's proprietary crap pisses me off. And I can't wait for the price tag...

bouncy bouncy
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2004-05-16, 16:59

Am I the only one impressed with VIA's Grace platform???

I mean retro PC gaming on the run! Wireless multiplayer!

It' won't catch on. but the idea is fantastick!

no sig, how's that for being a rebel!
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2004-05-16, 17:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfSylvanus
I'm thinking bout gettin a PC *just* for Half-Life too...
I am starting to build a PC to rejoin my favourite online game. Tribes. The new version is out soon. I have nothing against consoles, but FPS NEED a keyboard and mouse - And the pure brute force that you can cram in.
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2004-05-16, 17:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
I have nothing against consoles, but FPS NEED a keyboard and mouse - And the pure brute force that you can cram in.
Agreed. *Sigh* Wish I didn't have to leave the grace of Apple behind just to play a game. At least the simultaneous release of Doom III on PC and Mac is happening... is that a sign of things to come or just a minor hiccup?

bouncy bouncy
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2004-05-16, 17:40

I've been building PC's since I became addicted to Unreal Tournament back in late '99. Recently built an Athlon 64 (XP3400+) gaming rig and it's great.
UT2004 looks fantastic with everything turned on.
Onslaught is my new addiction.

Never been a conlsole fan.
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2004-05-16, 17:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by NosferaDrew
I've been building PC's since I became addicted to Unreal Tournament back in late '99. Recently built an Athlon 64 (XP3400+) gaming rig and it's great.
UT2004 looks fantastic with everything turned on.
Onslaught is my new addiction.

Never been a conlsole fan.
How much it cost u? (rough estimate - throw in a conversion to £ and I'll love you more )
stoo

2004-05-16, 18:14

Penny Arcade seems to be down at the moment.

Unreal 3 does indeed look amazing. It's just annoying that some of it requires GeForce 6800 (or hopefully ATi x800) graphics cards. Such is the cost of progress.

A self built gaming PC probably costs about £700 if you get reasonable components, rather than ridiculous top end items. Less if you have ageless bits handy (keyboard, mouse, monitor, etc). I may upgrade my PC for Half-Life 2, but not until it's released.

id have released all of their games at least close to similtaneously on Windows/Mac OS/Linux since Quake 3, so it's not a blip for them. Not sure about the wider industry though.
Crusader

Send a message via AIM to Crusader  
2004-05-19, 17:10

Countdown to "Apple needs to build a game system" thread...5...4...
Akumulator

2004-05-19, 17:27

Apple needs to build a game system.