Page 2 of 3 Previous 1 [2] 3  Next Thread Tools
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2019-08-29, 17:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
I miss my blue iPod mini and iPod nano.
I’ve always been mystified why has Apple never made colorful laptops (since the first iBook). People would love blue or green or purple MacBooks. I’m not sure I buy the “it would be too many SKUs to have to stock for such an expensive product” thing…Apple is selling way more MacBooks than they used to and they sold the relatively low-volume 12-inch MacBook in four shades of grey and gold.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

¡Damned!

2019-08-29, 17:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
I think Apple should go back to that $69 streaming-focused Apple TV and make a modern version of that.
I think they should make it $99 and a one-and-done deal, with TV+ thrown in for free. Once people get an AppleTV hooked up it's really hard not to use it to rent a movie or two on the weekend. Plus they explore, and find out how much you can do with music and podcasts and news. And now with Apple Arcade coming in with a subscription model, it might just be good enough for those people who want casual gaming and not $50 titles on a $300 console.

For the life of me I still don't get why Apple expects that I would subscribe to TV+. A Newsroom knockoff? Some CW-level Hamilton? Another chance to see Momoa shirtless? I'm still waiting to be convinced of its value.

So it goes.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2019-08-29, 17:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
For the life of me I still don't get why Apple expects that I would subscribe to TV+. A Newsroom knockoff? Some CW-level Hamilton? Another chance to see Momoa shirtless? I'm still waiting to be convinced of its value.
But but but the storytellers…telling stories…like only they can…

Yeah, it’ll be an…interesting sell, at first, with no real familiar IP and no library content to speak of. I don’t doubt that some of these shows will be good, but they’ll have to be essential. Nobody’s looking for a new streaming service to subscribe to. There are already so many shows.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

¡Damned!

2019-08-29, 18:17

Exactly. I'm not seeing a new GoT, Handmaid's Tale or even Succession here, at all. Plus, I have SO. MUCH. backlog it's not even like I want a new show to watch right now.

Though, as much as everyone gripes about subscriptions everywhere I'm still paying less than I did for cable, by quite a bit. Prime and Netflix are a constant, Hulu is pretty constant, HBO, Showtime, Starz and the like overlap in every other month or so, and stuff like Shudder, Acorn, Sundance, etc. I'll go every three or four months. It works pretty well for me.

So it goes.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-08-29, 18:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Yup. But that's extremely unlikely, as the Air is basically half a year old. That's almost certainly not the plan.
Oh, I know it's unlikely, but it would still make sense to do iPads like every March. All of them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
@chucker: I think you’re reading my posts as being more negative toward the current base iPad than I intended. I don’t think it’s a bad product; I apologize if I wasn’t clear.
I kind of think we're all doing that to each other.

Believe me, I want to see Apple advance all models forward all the time, but this leapfrogging of the product line makes for a confusing mess. Yes, the base iPad should be updated, but if it is updated past the iPad Air, then the Air should not exist—not because I'm worried about cannibalization, but because it becomes very confusing for customers to try and make a decision, and it ultimately makes Apple look silly having the cheapest iPad be the most up-to-date iPad. The Pro's tech should move down, but not until a new Pro is debuted (there may be new Pro's, and that's OK), but then the Air is … what? Now way behind the Pro, and maybe dead even with the base thing, but priced higher? That makes no sense. Seriously, we'd be inclined to take it off the floor and not carry it rather than have to explain all this crap to our customers.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-08-29, 18:24

Quote:
Plus, I have SO. MUCH. backlog it's not even like I want a new show to watch right now.
That right there!

I only have, like, ten things in my Netflix list, but they all have fifty bazillion episodes. Hell, It'll take me two years just to get through it all. And once Disney+ launches, you have to throw in The Mandalorian and Star Wars: Rebels (which I have not seen, yet).

Yeah, Apple TV+, should mean "Apple TV plus AppleTV+", as in, the two are one thing! And that may still be the way it goes.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2019-08-29, 18:26

They don’t even need a GoT or Breaking Bad. Something like The Good Place or Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt would be fine, at least to start. But none of the shows they’ve shown off so far have gone for funny. They all (well, maybe not Dickinson) are set up as prestige shows. Which is a much more high-stakes game, because, like, how many of those do people keep up with?

If they’re gonna launch with The Morning Show and Truth be Told and See and For All Mankind and Amazing Stories…that’s a lot of (perhaps too self-serious) drama. I’d feel a lot better about TV+’s prospects if they had trailers that just made people laugh.

If they’re gonna pull punches on the sex/drugs/violence stuff, “smarter CBS” is probably a better position than “cleaner HBO.”

¡Damned!

2019-08-29, 18:48

I think you're right in the fact that Apple is sticking a lot of poles in, hoping at least one of them will hold the tent down. But I also think that Apple (and Tim Cook, let's be honest) may be out over its skis here. The stars-parade portion of the TV+ reveal contained a whole lot of wtf mixed with cringe, imo. It felt very un-Apple. I honestly think that they don't know what they're doing yet, and are just throwing money at actors and directors hoping they can figure it out in the meantime. I don't like it when I feel like Apple doesn't have a plan, and for this I feel like Apple doesn't have a plan.

Not to say the shows aren't good/maybe great and the service will have a lot more to offer at launch than the slim pickings they've presented so far.

So it goes.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2019-08-29, 19:11

Quote:
I honestly think that they don't know what they're doing yet, and are just throwing money at actors and directors hoping they can figure it out in the meantime.
That’s exactly what they’re doing. They’re very name-driven.

I don’t think Apple knows what Apple TV+ is, yet. They know what they want it to be — a new source of subscription revenue — but I don’t think they know what it is supposed to be like or who it is for. What’s “an Apple TV+ show”? Who is the Apple TV+ viewer? We can look at Dickinson and say “Oh, they’re making a CW show,” because we all have this idea of what The CW is and what its shows are like and who it is for.

They spent a ton of money making Vital Signs and then they spiked it for content. Why? Were they somehow shocked that a Dr. Dre show would have sex and drugs? Did they abruptly change their strategy? Neither of those things scenarios inspire confidence.

In a way it reminds me of the early Apple Watch era. Apple knew they wanted to make a watch because they really wanted to have a post-Jobs follow-up to the iPhone, but they didn’t really know how it would fit into people’s lives or why they would want it. If you go back and watch their messaging for that first Watch, it’s clear that they were flailing a little bit. One of the three tentpoles of what the Apple Watch was was supposed to be a subtle, intimate way to communicate with people by tapping their wrist. The side button — one of two buttons on the device — was entirely devoted to communicating. But nobody cared. It turned out people just wanted a nicer Apple Fitbit. So Apple adjusted the Watch, and their messaging, to be much more health and fitness-focused. They had a newfound clarity that was missing at the beginning.

I think we’re missing that clarity now, with Apple TV+ (and Apple TV, to be honest). It’s clear they’re going for prestige storytelling…but not grown-up storytelling…but they’re not family-focused, either…

It’s okay to cast a wide net. Netflix does. But Netflix didn’t start making everything from game shows to sitcoms to cartoons. Netflix started with House of Cards and Orange is the New Black. They started with good grown-up shows. And, of course, a huge library of non-original content, but that’s neither here nor there. The message was clear: we’re going to be the next HBO.

I wasn’t as bothered by Apple’s March event as many people seem to be. It was definitely an odd event for Apple, but having a press event in the spring where you talk about how great your fall shows are going to be and bring out the stars to say nice things is super common in television. Apple was just doing their upfronts. What worries me more is the shows themselves. They’ll have to strike an immediate chord with audiences for people to be willing to subscribe for just them.

¡Damned!

2019-08-29, 20:10

Well that's the thing, isn't it? Apple needs filler - like every other subscription service has - and they don't have it. And they likely won't get it either unless they want to side up to the studio services that dump '70-'05 content loads that show up on Prime and Hulu same time, same day.

I still hold out that TV+ is a freebie for AppleTV owners. I mean, what is Prime, $120 bucks or so? Sell the population a razor, with a few, free, very nice blades, as it were. Let them opt for the gaming handle and rentable goodies. If somehow Apple has a must see show then they can spin the $99 'lifetime-purchase'* as cheap.

*lifetime as in the lifetime of your supported device which might not be as long as you think.

So it goes.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2019-08-29, 20:58

Quote:
I still hold out that TV+ is a freebie for AppleTV owners.
It seems like they’re doing the exact opposite, though. They’re putting the Apple TV app on competing devices for free to get people into their ecosystem to sell them TV+ (and maybe iTunes purchases).

¡Damned!

2019-08-30, 07:02

You know, I completely forgot about the TV app being made available to other platforms.

addabox
Veteran Member

2019-08-30, 12:46

I have a friend that just got a Samsung 4kUHD set, and the Apple TV app is on there. But then we realized that to take advantage of that she'd have to thow herself on the mercy of the Samsung TV platform and all that entails-- sketchy handling of personal data, possibly insecure IoT connections, irritating UI, etc. So she just stuck with AppleTV box.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated

kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-08-30, 13:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post
sketchy handling of personal data, possibly insecure IoT connections, irritating UI, etc. So she just stuck with AppleTV box.
I bet this is exactly what Apple is counting on.

Quagmire
meh

2019-08-30, 13:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
I bet this is exactly what Apple is counting on.
And it's why I continue to support Apple( hello Apple Card.....) is their privacy sales pitch. I have always said over the years, I can somewhat trust( as much as you can trust a company period) Apple because their money is made in hardware sales. My data to them isn't a significant revenue stream so they probably aren't too interested in mining it and selling it, etc.

BUT, as Apple starts to shift into services and that revenue becomes a bigger part of the pie, can Apple still be trusted with truly keeping our data private? I am now just starting to think about that especially after the Siri revelations( not that I am deeply offended over that per se, but it got the brain juices flowing).

giggity

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2019-08-30, 13:36

I think that privacy focus is (for the most part) institutional, at this point. People at Apple legitimately don’t want to know what people are buying with Apple Pay. Whereas Google is literally an ad company.

I’m not sure how effective it is as a sales pitch — most people seem to have no problem using Google and Facebook and Amazon services — but, like the green report card thing, it’s something Apple keeps mentioning because they think it’s important.

addabox
Veteran Member

2019-08-30, 13:53

Weirdly, the same "they all do it" cynicism that is used to justify certain political excesses pervades in tech. I constantly see people dismissing Apple's emphasis on user privacy as being entirely a matter of window dressing ("if you don't think Apple is selling your data you're a naive fan boy"). I guess this is part and parcel of the longstanding "Apple Sux" worldview wherein anything remotely laudable about Apple is either a lie or a crass money grab, but I don't see what's so hard to grasp about Apple making privacy a differentiating selling point. Or that as a selling point it behooves them to, you know, actually maintain user privacy since if they don't it will inevitably come out (as in the recent "human beings review some Siri convos") and erode that very point of differentiation.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-08-30, 17:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire View Post
BUT, as Apple starts to shift into services and that revenue becomes a bigger part of the pie, can Apple still be trusted with truly keeping our data private? I am now just starting to think about that especially after the Siri revelations( not that I am deeply offended over that per se, but it got the brain juices flowing).
I think that’s a valid concern (though their services almost entirely aren’t ad-driven, fwiw).

With Siri in particular, I think one overarching issue is that it’s a different culture. It’s an acquired company, and there’s probably a lot of people working there who wouldn’t, say, work on UIKit instead. That’s also true for new hires — a lot of machine learning folks come from competitors like Google.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-09-04, 11:39

So the rumors now add an updated AppleTV, which makes good sense. A more powerful model with improved Apple Arcade performance would be a very logical thing to do.

Honestly, I think Apple Arcade is going to be a bigger hit than Apple TV+ (unless TV+ is FREEEEEEE!)

And there seems to be a "One more thing …" possibility, with Tile thingy being the most jabbered about option (although AR glasses are also being bandied about—don't see the logic or the point of these dumb things, other than for gaming or design work, or perhaps if they have some super-human capacity to replace my regular prescription glasses )

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-09-04, 12:09

Given I just bought a new TV 4k I really don't want to feel like I need another.

One that is better for gaming would make a lot of sense though. Especially with Arcade coming out.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-09-06, 11:43

Macrumors believes Apple's "Tags" will rely on UWB radio tech. Perhaps I can put one on my cat?

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-09-06, 12:39

Tags seems cool. Not sure how heavily I would jump into something like that. I mean, lost remote finders have been around forever so it would be nice to have something that doesn't suck. Apple would just need to build it into the AppleTV remote.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-09-06, 13:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Apple would just need to build it into the AppleTV remote.
Hey, there's an idea!

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2019-09-09, 16:01

I'm really hoping for new basic iPads tomorrow. Or in October, maybe? I'm in the market and don't want to buy the old one just to get outdated...

kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-09-09, 17:04

Base model iPads are currently out of stock at both our distributors.

Just FYI

Could be tomorrow, but definitely by the middle of October.

¡Damned!

2019-09-09, 17:45

I really wish they'd get the mini in the fall update cycle along with the rest of the iPads. I'd like to get a new one (or two) before the end of the year and I'd hate to miss out on camera goodies if they wait until next spring to update.

So it goes.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2019-09-09, 19:14

I haven't been excited about a product launch in years. I don't think I've even watched a presentation in at least 3 years.

I am going on two full years with my iPhone X. Either I'm bored with technology or things have gotten really stagnant. I'm thinking it's the latter but I don't want to discount that it might be just me.

I try to avoid spoilers so I can eagerly read up on all the details but there's just so much information out there it's hard to miss the rumors.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-09-09, 21:32

I'm looking forward to watching the event. Even if only in the background while I'm working.

I'd be surprised to see anything iPad mentioned, other than the OS. It would be cool if they did release an update though.

Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2019-09-09, 23:04

I watch these while working and tell my boss it's for work. Then I make write-ups for here and for colleague.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-09-10, 01:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Either I'm bored with technology or things have gotten really stagnant. I'm thinking it's the latter but I don't want to discount that it might be just me.
Kind of both. Pundits are chasing the next big thing and not finding it.

Smartphones have matured to the point where they’re extremely widespread and capable. What I’m doing (typing on a four-inch piece of glass and having the result received by a network of computers) was basically science fiction 40 years ago.

I don’t think every single keynote needs to be amazing. I wouldn’t mind some surprises, though.