Apple and Beatles "make nice"...official

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple and Beatles "make nice"...official
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-02-05, 09:16

http://appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2466

It's only about time.

How funny this is announced the day after the venue we were all expecting and hoping for (and that might've resulted in a pretty spiffy commercial).

Dorks.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-02-05, 09:22

For the official report, direct from Apple:

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2007/02/05apple.html

Quote:
CUPERTINO, California and LONDON—Apple® Inc. and The Beatles’ company Apple Corps Ltd. are pleased to announce the parties have entered into a new agreement concerning the use of the name “Apple” and apple logos which replaces their 1991 Agreement. Under this new agreement, Apple Inc. will own all of the trademarks related to “Apple” and will license certain of those trademarks back to Apple Corps for their continued use. In addition, the ongoing trademark lawsuit between the companies will end, with each party bearing its own legal costs, and Apple Inc. will continue using its name and logos on iTunes®. The terms of settlement are confidential.

Commenting on the settlement, Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO said, “We love the Beatles, and it has been painful being at odds with them over these trademarks. It feels great to resolve this in a positive manner, and in a way that should remove the potential of further disagreements in the future.”

Commenting on the settlement on behalf of the shareholders of Apple Corps, Neil Aspinall, manager of Apple Corps said, “It is great to put this dispute behind us and move on. The years ahead are going to be very exciting times for us. We wish Apple Inc. every success and look forward to many years of peaceful co-operation with them.”
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-02-05, 09:51

Yes, the official (and comma splice-free?) version from Apple. Good show!

I hate to start all this back up again (after yesterday and all) but I guess this means some sort of "Beatles on iTunes" announcement is in the works?

*ducks behind a Vox amp*
drewprops
Space Pirate

2007-02-05, 12:23

I hope the ad is as good as that Sheryl Crow one that I saw.... MAN that thing was good.
zippy
Veteran Member

2007-02-05, 12:24

How many people instantly thought of Paul when they saw that ad?

*/raises hand/*
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-02-05, 12:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
I hope the ad is as good as that Sheryl Crow one that I saw.... MAN that thing was good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY4Dp-WZwr8

That?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-02-05, 12:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
How many people instantly thought of Paul when they saw that ad?

*/raises hand/*
Ha!

Imagine if she did one for the orange iPod shuffle...you people couldn't get me out of your head!

It was a bad commercial. Just a bit silly. I was reading online that there are some who are a bit torqued-up at the depiction of the stylist. Because, you know, there are no effeminate, catty, funky-haired hairstylists/make-up artists out there working for high-profile celebrities.

The shock.

If that's really her stylist, then what's the problem?

If, on the other hand, that was an actor they hired and instructed by some ad agency honcho to "fruit it up pretty good...hit all the stereotypes that Crow's real stylist doesn't represent", then yeah...pretty cheesy and a ham-handed stereotype.

Expect a letter from Rosie, I guess? I don't know...

Either way, it was a pretty lame commercial. Made her look a bit shallow and girly, and I've never really thought of her in that way.

Beyond that, I can't imagine the majority of the Super Bowl-watching crowd giving two flying figs about such a commercial or product. It was out of place and clashed, at best.

"Ohmigod...dude, put down the beer and come watch this! I was totally thinking about coloring my hair after the game today, but I was concerned about fading. Looks like Revlon delivered. High five!!!"

Just seemed like a spot better geared toward the Grammys or Oscars. Or one of those goofy fashion/style award shows on E! or VH-1.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2007-02-05 at 12:58.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2007-02-05, 16:12

Also, the NY Times and speculation off the front page:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/06/business/06apple.html

(y'all know the user name and password, here, right?)