AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Apple Smart Home

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple Smart Home
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2017-04-18, 01:28

Over the last 2 years I have experimented with a few HomeKit compatible devices.

I just bought a new house and have decided to give it a go on going "all in" as best as possible. I'm a little worried that HomeKit doesn't have nearly the momentum that Alexa has behind it but we'll see.

Right now, "all-in" doesn't mean too much but I'm open to suggestions and insight into new devices.

What I have as of now:

- EcoBee 3 (I've owned one of these for 2+ years now and love it, just ordered a new one for the new house)
- Leviton HomeKit Dimmer Switch (this is incredible. Wifi connected dimmer switch with 3-way support. Siri works flawlessly with it. I installed one tonight, and now going to order more)
- Kuna Exterior Smart Lights. (Much to my frustration, they still do not support HomeKit. But, they are excellent products and I've had 2 at my other house for over a year now, and they have worked flawlessly)
- I just ordered 2 Kwikset Premis HomeKit compatible smart locks. At my other house I use an August Smartlock which has worked really well but I wanted something with a keypad.
- I've researched HomeKit compatible blinds and they are ridiculously expensive so Im going to have to hold off on those unless anyone knows of a cheaper option.
- Samsung Family Hub fridge - I almost splurged for this, but I got very turned off by Samsung tech support and the uncertainty about whether the 2016 models would get the 2017 software update.

What else can I look into? I was thinking garage door opener but I don't really see the point/advantage other than I could open the garage door remotely for whatever reason. Sprinkler system, but the rainbird controller I have seems like its pretty advanced already. There are a lot of HomeKit outlets and plug adapters but I don't really have anything that would benefit from that.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2017-04-18, 09:14

I use Z-wave but can tell you that the garage door opener is much more handy than you would think. Imagine you're in your yard just doing things and realize you want to go in or out of your garage to do something (get a tool, shade etc.) and you have your phone or Watch on you. You can just open the door without having to open your car since you likely don't have your keys on you. You also don't have to go inside to open the door. That little feature has more than earned back the money I put into the parts to upgrade my garage door opener system to give me Z-wave control for it.

Being able to see that status of the garage door is also nice, though mine has an alarm sensor on it and I would know if it were open when I armed the alarm.

Other than that, lights and the scenes created by them are another major plus for automation. Dimmable controls (as you've found) are just awesome and really make the difference.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2017-05-12, 15:01

Can't believe I missed this thread.

What blinds have you looked at? The Serena Shades by Lutron were the only ones I found that were HomeKit compatible. The function themselves weren't terrible expensive, as the blinds were expensive. Granted I only want a few blinds to have it and not my whole home. I will be getting one for my large window in my living room once I get the window replaced.

I have a Nest thermostat. Even though it's not HomeKit compatible, I still enjoy it and it works fine. I have had it about 4 years at this point and haven't felt like switching. I looked at the EcoBee 3 but it's ugly to me and I can't justify $250 to switch to something I find unappealing to my eye.

I just switched my locks to the Schlage Sense and absolutely love it. The best upgrade I've made in my home in a long time. Between the keypad and the iPhone app, I never carry a key anymore.

I have Nest Smoke+CO2 detectors and those are fine too. Nothing fancy.

I also use Phillips Hue lights and have like 5 different bulbs and some light strips. I haven't fully switched everything over at this point.

I would like to get new ceiling fans, but the ones I really like the, the Haiku by Big Ass Fans, are not HomeKit compatible, but do have an app.

My favorite thing in my home that I control with my iPhone is my Sonos setup. I have 5 different rooms and a patio that I have setup and being able to switch between rooms and control everything with ease is amazing, especially when I'm on the patio.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
drewprops
Space Pirate

2024-03-07, 20:02

Good article about smart homes. I need to read it in small chunks.

https://www.theverge.com/24087882/sm...e-google-alexa