User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

How Big is Your Photo Library on Your iPhone?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
How Big is Your Photo Library on Your iPhone?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2024-03-27, 22:19

Mine currently has more than 20,000 photos, 2,700 videos, and takes up 6.65GB of space.

I took many of the previous photos off of the phone when ingesting them into my Aperture library.

At this point I'm planning to copy the remainder of the photos off the phone to add to a managed Lightroom Classic folder on an external drive.

Still, it would be nice to keep a lot of them in the Apple Photos library as well, so that I can access them when I'm on the road. Toward that end, I might also ingest some of my OLDER folders back into the Photos app – and from what I'm reading it would be an expense of $240/year for 1TB of storage.

Reading the Apple community forums I see that processing for large libraries can be a problem (see below), which is interesting because my internet connection is doggy doggy doggy doggy, so that additional processing time for photos is worrisome, but not a dealbreaker (yet).

Quote:
Originally Posted by léonie
There is no published limit to the library size forPhots on Ventura.

For the previous versions of Photos, up to macOS 12 Monterey, we could infer from the fact that Photos has been supposed to be able to migrate Aperture Libraries, that Photos should be able to handle libraries with one million media files and 10000 albums. Photos can no longer migrate Aperture Library, so that clue is no longer valid.

But there are practical reasons to keep the libraries small. It will depend on your patience, how large you will let your library grow.

One big difference between Photos and aperture is the huge amount of background processing Photos is using to prepare the library for searches, also the syncing with iCloud.
  • When you are using iCloud Photos, the device with the least storage will be the bottle neck for the library size.
  • The background processes to classify your photos according to categories (faces, objects, scene types) are needing a lot of processing power to scan all photos, and not only once, but after each major system upgrade again, or after you modify the photos. And for some of them the amount of computation time does not seem to encrease linearly with the number of photos, but with a higher order, if photos has to compare photos for the duplicate detection or to compose layouts.
  • Photos is also needing free storage and memory for temporary data, depending on the library size, to upgrade libraries to a new system version or when importing on library into another. Photos may simply crash, when trying to import a very large library.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2024-03-28, 04:04

Oh man. I don't take enough photos, do I. OTOH, as much as iCloud Photo Library works well, I'm not that happy that I have to pay Apple $3/mo for them to host something that I could easily just host myself on a NAS…

5,500 photos, 650 videos. 1.5 GB on the phone, 53 GB on the Mac (optimize disabled).
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2024-03-28, 04:53

Seven photos, no video and 27.8MB.

Not much of a picture-taker…

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2024-03-28 at 20:18.
¡Damned!

2024-03-28, 08:15

2100 photos, 50 videos, somehow taking up 12GB on my phone. I don't know how any of that works.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2024-03-28, 08:31

~22,000 photos and ~500 videos with iCloud sync. ~200GB in iCloud storage for me. Mrs T though, she is closer to 1.6TB in photos/videos.

The only reason we have so much storage is it comes with the One Premium or whatever it is called. We were a la cart for all the items until we added Music and it didn't make sense to do that any more. Now Apple gets almost $40 a month from me.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
¡Damned!

2024-03-28, 09:01

I've been considering the iCloud Max, er, Apple One backup route myself recently, just running the numbers to see if it makes sense. A couple of family members are addicted to my Apple News subscription so I don't see that going away anytime soon, the other one has occasional subscriptions to Arcade and Music, I get Apple TV+ about every other month, and we both pay a buck to up our iCloud storage to 50GB.

It probably makes sense, but like you I'm not that excited to pay Apple a monthly 40 bucks. Might get me into some of the Fitness stuff though? Nah.

So it goes.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2024-03-28, 09:39

I've currently got 34,213 Photos, 2,120 videos taking up 9.75 GB on my phone.

I need to get back into taking more pictures again, but that inspiration usually only comes when I'm traveling. That's starting to pick back up again this year though, so should get plenty more on there.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2024-03-28, 10:35

1,922, spread over 20 years (and, yes, there are photos on my phone that predate the iPhone).

"Back in the good 'ol days …"

… when we had to buy film, be cautious of what we took a picture of, and then pay to develop film, we were much more judicious of the clicking.

When digital cameras appeared they at first could only handle maybe a couple dozen pictures.

Now? click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click click …

I delete photos every day, and only keep those that actually have some *real* meaning.

I went to Washington D.C. last year and finally got to see the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and the Changing of the Guard. I was exhausted because my daughter and I had to run up the hill to make it in time. But, instead of enjoying the moment, I got out my phone and started filming. And, because I was so focused on "maintaining the shot", I didn't actually get to enjoy the moment and barely remember being there.

Never again. Digital cameras are stupid, because they remove the moment from our brains, and train us to rely on them to "record our memories". What a bunch of crap.

Put the phone away and enjoy the moment.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
¡Damned!

2024-03-28, 11:00

kscherer
Which way is up?

2024-03-28, 11:18

Love it!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2024-03-28, 12:29

Man that is so true! When I was doing semipro photography work I missed so much for the composition and such. Now when I go to watch my kids do sports or whatever I really try to pay attention with my own eyes and not "through the lens".

I still take pictures, but way less than I did. I also enjoy it more when I'm doing it for pleasure. Doing it for money killed the joy in it.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2024-03-29, 19:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
:: poignant pram ::
I am stealing and sharing on FB.