User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Personal Web Sharing

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Personal Web Sharing
SQUIRRI

2006-02-11, 20:45

I have a G5-iMac, 512MG / OS10.4.4. I am trying to do something really simple - get a website running on our LAN for our family to use. So, I followed the instruction, turned on personal web sharing in System Preferences, and then clicked the link for my personal site. The machines internal address is 192.168.0.75, my user directory is ~Rick. When I try to open this, by clicking on the link in System Preferences I get this:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /~Rick/ on this server.

Apache/1.3.33 Server at g5-imac.local Port 80

Which seems a bit rich as I'm logged on as me! (OK, I suppose Apache runs as some other user)
If I try to access the 'machine' website at 192.168.0.75/ I get this:

If you can see this, it means that the installation of the Apache web server software on this system was successful. You may now add content to this directory and replace this page.

Seeing this instead of the website you expected?

This page is here because the site administrator has changed the configuration of this web server. Please contact the person responsible for maintaining this server with questions. The Apache Software Foundation, which wrote the web server software this site administrator is using, has nothing to do with maintaining this site and cannot help resolve configuration issues.

The Apache documentation has been included with this distribution.

You are free to use the image below on an Apache-powered web server. Thanks for using Apache

Reading the other threads on this site indicates that the file containing this text should be in Library/WebServer/Documents, but I can't find it there.

I know I'm doing something really stupid - can anyone help me out.

I have checked persissions on the Sites Directory(RW for all 3 classes) and also repaired permissions on the drive(DU from the Install DVD). I have also applied permissions to all enclosed items on the Sites folder(using the finder info window)

I have also tried to access the 'site' from another machine on the network, with the same results.

This is driving me nuts!!

Rick
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2006-02-11, 20:59

Well since you know about flags: do your Sites directory and subdirectories have the X bit (execute, which for directories means permission to cd into the directory) set? The webserver runs as some nobody, so you would have to have X for other set. There is no need for write permissions, unless you have a CMS or something running that needs to be able to change stuff.
SQUIRRI

2006-02-12, 05:41

Thanks

I will try that - directory permissions need to be 755 then?

What I'd like to know is why it needs these changes and doesn't work straight out of the box!

Rick
SQUIRRI

2006-02-12, 07:16

Didn't work - still get the same errors

Blast!
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2006-02-12, 11:49

http://localhost/
http://localhost/~rick/

/Library/WebServer/Documents/index.html.en <- at least for me, suppose it's because it's .en for english?
~/Sites/index.html <- user index page

You could try making a new user to see if you can access your user site or if it's a permissions problem with your account.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-02-12, 11:54

I Hope Atomic's Ok with this.

http://www.echobase.dyndns.org/howtomakeaproxy.html

Just ignore the proxy stuff.
SQUIRRI

2006-02-13, 13:16

Problem sorted. It was the persmissions on my Home directory. CHMODed those and it works fine. Now working on locking down the other parts of the home directory.

The Finder is a pain for permissions - there seems to be no way you can set eXecute

Thanks for all the help guys

Rick
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2006-02-13, 13:40

Why were they something other than the default in the first place? Just curious.