User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

What is the best solution to migrate iOS devices?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
What is the best solution to migrate iOS devices?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-02-05, 10:13

So I'm finally upgrading my 7 to an XS (because I'm cheap). Anyway, what is the best way to migrate devices? I know I can do iCloud backup/restore. The concern for me there are some apps don't transfer the data when that happens. One example is a game that will forget my progress when I migrate that way.

So what is the best way to migrate devices while retaining the most data? iTunes Backup and then Restore? I have 10.14 on at least one system I can do that with. Or if there is something in 10.15 I have that available too.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-02-05, 10:22

iTunes backup and restore.

Also, far less likely that an internet fart will cause trouble.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-02-05, 10:51

I assumed it would be the case but wanted to check. Thanks.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-02-05, 12:22

That’s the way I’ve done it with every iPhone I’ve had. I like iCloud for the syncing stuff (contacts, notes, bookmarks, etc.) but I’m still old school on the backup/restore stuff and always do it, wired, via iTunes. The two times I dabbled in the other way, something always goofed up. I just prefer a direct Mac-to-iPhone link and leave the Internet/cloud out of it. YMMV.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2020-02-05, 12:37

Definitely go with iTunes, way faster than restoring from iCloud.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-02-05, 13:48

I haven't done much with iTunes in so long I really forgot about it. I did a search and of course hundreds of crapware titles came up to help me migrate. How does migrating work with 10.15 now that it isn't in iTunes anymore?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-02-05, 13:59

It happens in the Finder. Much better place for it. Otherwise, it works the exact same way as it did in iTunes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-02-05, 14:00

Cool. I've never plugged an iDevice into my MBP so I've never seen the Finder thing in action.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-02-05, 14:28

Look for it in the "Devices" list in the sidebar. Once in there, all of the usual stuff will show itself.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-02-05, 20:09

I really need to not be so cheap some times.

I bought the 64GB XS. I had a 128GB 7. 10lbs of crap doesn't fit in a 5lbs bag. I ended up having to delete the photos off of the 7 after disabling iCloud Photo storage and then back up the 7 again.

If this is just too cramped for me it will become my wife's and I'll get the 256GB version. Fresh from Apple's Refurbished section. Vet/Military still get their 10% even from refurbs now!

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2020-02-05, 20:30

And I thought going from a 16GB iPhone 6s to the XS with 64GB was great because I actually had the freedom to put stuff on there...
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-02-06, 08:59

Yeah.... soo.... I just ordered the 256GB XS and will return this 64GB one tomorrow after I get everything synced over to the larger phone. I just don't want to be constrained that much.

I really thought it wouldn't be an issue with the iCloud storage (2TB plan) and all. There is so much else that plays in though.

Because I had deleted the photos off of the 7 to make room, when the backup was restored it began deleting all my photos from iCloud photo library. This was special to watch. Thankfully they all go into the "Recently Deleted" folder where I was able to restore them all. I just should try to be so cheap some times.