Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

ssh not working through Terminal

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
ssh not working through Terminal
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2007-08-18, 10:04

Ok, so I had the recent thread about ssh and VNC, and it's been working for a couple of weeks.

However, I tried to connect to my iMac from my iBook this morning and it's not working.

I put the ssh command into terminal, and it just sits there. It never asks for a password or anything.

What can I do to get this to work again?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-08-18, 10:20

What do you mean by, "I put the ssh command into terminal"? What is your exact input?

Are you connecting by IP or by name? Have you verified that the SSH daemon is still running on the iMac? Have you verified that the iMac is still connected to the network? Have you checked to see if the iMac has changed IP addresses?

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-08-18, 10:21

Append -vvv for maximum verbosity, then post the results here.

E.g.,
Code:
ssh -vvv 192.168.2.48
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2007-08-18, 10:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
What do you mean by, "I put the ssh command into terminal"? What is your exact input?

Are you connecting by IP or by name? Have you verified that the SSH daemon is still running on the iMac? Have you verified that the iMac is still connected to the network? Have you checked to see if the iMac has changed IP addresses?
I put this command into Terminal:

Code:
ssh KK@imac_ip_address -L 5900:localhost:5900
I have VNC running (I checked it last night before I came home from school for the weekend) and it's set to only accept local requests.

I guess the iMac might have changed IP addresses, but I have no way of checking. No one's at my house at school this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Append -vvv for maximum verbosity, then post the results here.

E.g.,
Code:
ssh -vvv 192.168.2.48
What does that do?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-08-18, 10:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran23kk View Post
What does that do?

Quote:
-v Verbose mode. Causes ssh to print debugging messages about its
progress. This is helpful in debugging connection, authentica-
tion, and configuration problems. Multiple -v options increase
the verbosity. The maximum is 3.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2007-08-18, 10:39

sorry, I'm just a little lazy chucker.

I ran this:
Code:
ssh -vvv KK@iMac_IP_Address -L 5901:localhost:5901
This is what showed up:

Code:
OpenSSH_4.5p1, OpenSSL 0.9.7l 28 Sep 2006 debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh_config debug2: ssh_connect: needpriv 0 debug1: Connecting to iMac_IP_Address [iMac_IP_Address] port 22. debug1: Connection established. debug1: identity file /Users/KK/.ssh/identity type -1 debug1: identity file /Users/KK/.ssh/id_rsa type -1 debug1: identity file /Users/KK/.ssh/id_dsa type -1
What does that mean? I see that is says connection established, but I still can't connect through VNC.
chucker

2007-08-18, 10:46

You need to wait longer.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2007-08-18, 10:52

haha. I figured that might be the problem.

I guess I'll just try again later. It's not big deal that it's not working right now, but I just wanted to know why it wasn't working.