Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

External HDD format for Time Machine

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
External HDD format for Time Machine
Nico_from_Paris

2007-10-28, 10:38

Hi all,

I am currently backing up my data on an external iomega HDD using the software Databackup. I am planning on buying Leopard and use Time Machine.
Using Disk Utility to prepare this external HDD and create a specific volume for Time Machine backups I notice that my current volume format is MS-Dos (don't ask me why, please, I do not remember having been asked to select a format the first time I used Databackup).

Question 1) is : which format shall I use to optimize things (assuming I stay on tiger and still use Databackup) ?
Question 2) is : which format shall I use to let Time Machine backs up (assuming I buy Leopard and create a specific volume on my external HDD for this) ?

Many thanks

iMacG5 20" 1stGen 1.8 GHz- 2Go - OSX 10.5.2 - iLife'08 - iWork'08
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-10-28, 11:24

In both cases: Mac OS Extended, Journaled, not Case-Sensitive.
Nico_from_Paris

2007-10-28, 11:31

Thanks Chucker. I assume that if i creat a second volume (formatted as you suggest) on my external HDD I will lose my data on the current ms-dos volume (currently the only one) ?

iMacG5 20" 1stGen 1.8 GHz- 2Go - OSX 10.5.2 - iLife'08 - iWork'08
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-10-28, 11:41

Resizing an MS-DOS volume from a Mac without losing data is hard, yes. You could do so using PartitionMagic or similar tools on Windows, but that may be more trouble than it's worth. The fastest, easiest path will probably be to ensure that you have all data from that volume, then reformat it.