User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Mounting Airport Extreme USB Hard Drive on Desktop?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Mounting Airport Extreme USB Hard Drive on Desktop?
MagSafe

2008-05-03, 08:19

Hi all,

Those of you with an Airport Extreme, has anyone managed to mount a USB hard drive on the desktop?

I've connected a 60gb HDD and can access it through the Finder, but can't figure out how to mount it to my desktop.

Thanks for any help

Steve.

Find me on Twitter: @StevenMcLintock
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2008-05-03, 08:32

Finder → Preferences → General → "Show these items on the Desktop:".
MagSafe

2008-05-03, 09:30

Hi Chucker,

This initially worked on my Leopard setup, but as soon as I restart it disappears and now I can't get it to show up at all on the desktop

On the Tiger setup's in my household the 'Connected Servers' option was already selected under 'Show these items on the Desktop', so I can't get get the hard drive to show up at all

Is there an option somewhere (in Airport Utility maybe?) that I can select to mount it on my desktop every time a user log's in? (I can't find one anyway, however have heard this mentioned in reviews)

Thanks

Find me on Twitter: @StevenMcLintock
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2008-05-03, 10:18

Go to your user preferences and drag the mounted drive to your login items. It works great for reconnecting every time you login.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2008-05-03, 10:40

I'm confused. You keep talking about "mounting on the Desktop", yet also say it does appear in the sidebar. Does it appear as connected, i.e. with an eject button next to it? Or does the thing merely appear as a network host you could connect to? If the latter, then my above post is worthless (since I completely misunderstood your problem), and turtle2472 has the solution you were looking for.