User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

What's my PowerBook (and some related accessories) worth?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
What's my PowerBook (and some related accessories) worth?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-03-05, 14:11

In your opinion:

- 15" PowerBook G4 (1.25GHz, 1.25GB RAM, 80GB hard drive, 2x SuperDrive, Gigabit Ethernet, built-in 56k modem, USB 2.0, FireWire 400/800, backlit keyboard, etc.). It's the first version of the aluminum 15" PowerBook G4, introduced at the 2003 Paris Expo in September. I purchased mine a month later, in October 2003 (the night Panther was released).
- Brand new, higher-capacity NewerTech battery added in September 2007 (as well as the 1GB DIMM)
- Extra power supply for PowerBook (kept in backpack, so it's always ready to go)
- MacCase padded sleeve
- AirPort Express

I've looked around various places, but I'm getting such a wide range that it's not telling me much. Seeing everything from $200-700 on the PowerBook alone.

Condition-wise, the PowerBook is in really nice shape for four-and-a-half years old. Some very light "pitting" in the palmrest area (barely noticeable). A very light white spot on the display that you really don't even see unless you just put a blank white screen up.

Other than that, it's a nice machine. No scratches or dents, no scuffs. All the ports work, as does the SuperDrive, AirPort, both speakers, keyboard and backlighting, etc.

And everything has the original box, packing material, manuals, disks, accessories, etc. as well. I always save that stuff!

What do you think the above would rig go for?

Short, succinct answers (the kind I never give ) would be great, so I'm not having to read through tons of stuff. Would love to just see number (or a range), with maybe a sentence or two of explanation, if needed.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2008-03-05, 15:45

If you include all that stuff, I'm thinking in the $600-800 range. I'm guessing around $500-700 for the Powerbook and another hundred or so for the other stuff.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-03-05, 16:28

Really? Interesting...good to know. I was hoping it would be somewhat over $500...

I certainly won't need the sleeve and the extra PowerBook power supply...

The AirPort Express is a toss-up (I'd like to get Time Capsule, since the AirPort Express is on the other side of the room and, therefore, I'm not doing the wireless printing/speaker thing with it anyway). I'd be better off with just the Wi-Fi thing and hassle-free, hands-off backup via Time Machine/Capsule.

Some smoking deals in the refurb section that caught my eye, and I was just running a "what if" scenario...current-gen iMacs and previous MacBooks (but with the X3100 graphics). Sitting here thinking "do I really want to push this PowerBook to October, the five year mark? Or is it time to finally join the Intel Core Duo and iSight party?"

And, for the first time in ages, the previous-generation (white plastic) 17" iMacs are listed (ATi graphics, SuperDrive, etc.), going for $849. Totally the machine I was hoping my sister would lean toward before they made their surprise purchase over the weekend...
veryamusing

2008-03-06, 01:31

$700, based on what Luca got for his 12" a while back.