User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Good, easy-to-use image hosting (now that MobileMe is gone)...ideas?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Good, easy-to-use image hosting (now that MobileMe is gone)...ideas?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-07-25, 21:13

Should I just go with the obvious, and use Flickr (straight out of iPhoto and all)?

That's where I'm leaning.

I just realized I've got nowhere to post my trip photos, mockups, etc.

What do you guys like?

I don't need a bunch of features and site-side management and stuff (I pretty much do everything in iPhoto and just upload them, ideally, which is how I did it for all these years, photo-wise). For mockups, I just had a dedicated folder in my iDisk and linked to there through .Mac/MobileMe.

I know Flickr is free to a point, but they only display a certain number of photos unless you pay $20-something for a "pro" account, where everything is shown? Thing is, I don't really have a ton, so I'd probably be okay with the free for a good while.

What else is out there that is Mac (and/or iPhoto friendly). I just remembered Flickr has an iOS app, so maybe that's a good way to go, for on-the-go publishing/uploading?

Help. Advice. Give it.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-07-25, 21:39

I'd go with Flickr of Facebook for you since you're not a geek and don't care to get into web hosting stuff.

For this reason alone is the best reason for you to just use Flickr. It's even worth it for you to pay the $20 a year just to not have any limits. You can set privacy levels and such. It really is the no brainer option for you. Plus, should you upgrade to Aperture then you still have the same library and can keep everything as they are. It will just make your life easier.

Edit: Let me also add that it has great iOS support too. Making Flickr really your best option. Dropbox isn't a bad one either if you want to force everyone to view each image as a direct link.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.

Last edited by turtle : 2012-07-25 at 21:55.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2012-07-25, 22:50

Smugmug? That's what we've been using for years. It may be overkill but it works great.