A funny iCreate magazine tidbit...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
A funny iCreate magazine tidbit...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-06-05, 17:35

Well, two actually:

First, I'm in it!

I dearly love this magazine and so I wrote them a couple of months ago, telling them so. Never thought anything of it and I get the new issue today and BOOM...there's my letter, name, etc.

For those of you who don't know, this is a new (well, 6 or so issues by now) British Mac magazine. IMO, it puts all the ones we have here in this country to shame. It's VERY Apple-centric, packed with TONS of tutorials on the iApps and even Apple's "upper level" apps like Soundtrack, Final Cut Pro, etc. That, combined with a great, clean design and GORGEOUS photography (they seem to be allergic to Apple's tired, stock product "beauty shots" and seem to take their own most of the time, using cool angles, close-ups, etc. making these products look like the items of art they often are) make this a great magazine. Check it out. If you can get past the occasional funny spellings ("organisations" and whatnot) you'll love it!

Okay, so that's the first tidbit...me winding up in a British magazine (by the way, they are, apparently "chuffed to bits" at my praise...I'll take that as a good thing?).

Second tidbit? Their cover story this time is on the G5 (gorgeous cover...can't miss it on the stands!) and they have a little sidebar called "Six of the Best G5 Websites". There's apple.com, of course, along with xlr8yourmac.com, architosh.com, macrumors.com, etc.

Then, lo and behold, right there - in the second slot, immediately following apple.com, is none other than www.macosrumors.com

Now, in and of itself, that's funny as hell. But it gets better. Here is what this magazine says about the site:

Quote:
One of the best Mac rumor sites, regularly updated with lots of interesting snippets of information, such as the eagerly anticipated arrival of the second-generation of Power Mac G5 machines...

I have to ask...is this an example of that British humor I hear about? It's often so dry, it's hard to tell. They should put a little pic of John Cleese or those AbFab chicks beside the article, just so we know.

"Best rumor sites"? I guess, if you don't count accuracy or anything they say actually never coming to be. And "regularly updated" must translate into "when they're not down", as they have been for two weeks.

Of all the places to hail as "one of the best rumor sites"...

Anyway, this latest issue was extra special. With the inclusion of yours truly in the letter section AND that priceless little nugget about MOSR. Besides that one little misstep, it's a great issue (as usual).

On stands now (Issue 7). It's red with big white "iCreate" letters and a G5 and AirPort Extreme Base Station on the cover. Check it out, won't you?
low-fi

Send a message via ICQ to low-fi Send a message via AIM to low-fi  
2004-06-05, 20:03

Hard to tell, even as someone with a very fine tuned sense of sarcasm I suspect that they are not stupid, and know that it is BS...but then again...
Paul
Veteran Member

2004-06-05, 23:44

hey mister Scates, what about this (Re: this thread on .com )

Quote:
Originally Posted by text for .com impared
AppleInsider has commissioned an artist's rendition by Paul Scates of the forthcoming PowerMac G5 based on a flurry of detailed information provided by sources.

Among the many changes expected in the new Power Mac G5 are a smaller motherboard, vertical RAM slots, and a unified heatsink cover plate with the G5 inscription.

Click on image to enlarge.

This information is very much inline with a recent report, which revealed photos of the unreleased Power Mac G5, and provided an in depth description and analysis of changes reportedly being made to the Power Mac product line.

Apple is expected to officially announce a set of refreshed Power Mac G5s during its World Wide Developer's Conference, which is set to kick off on June 28th.
so commissioned eh? how much loot did you get?

edit: here is the "rendition"

oh, and I'm assuming you sent the magazine an email, would you mind putting a copy into the thread?

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)

Last edited by Paul : 2004-06-06 at 00:02.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-06-06, 00:14

nice rendition Paul!
do you freelance or are you working for a company?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-06-06, 00:27

Paul: I did send iCreate an e-mail, but it's long gone. Basically I just praised their design/layout/photography and overall sense of "getting it" and putting out a really well-done Mac-centric publication.

Mac+: Thanks! I have a day job that pays the bills, but lately - thank goodness - I've fallen into a REALLY nice "constant freelance" groove.

Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-06-06, 01:12

Hey, that's excellent news that you can make a go of it on your own. I would presume that is immensely gratifying! Is your pay the bills job graphic design related or something else entirely?

Also, does this magazine "iCreate" have a web link?

All I want is a simple life
twitter
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-06-06, 09:34

Yeah, the day job is totally design/graphics related (it's all I know how to do), doing design/layout/photography/retouching/typesetting/writing at a rare coin and currency magazine.

Here is iCreate's website. Unfortunately, it's rather lame (by their own admission), since, oddly, it's not updated and there's no real content there. Just a static page with subscription info, basically.

In other words, unlike Macworld and others, their site doesn't mirror the magazine. The editor mentioned to me (he responded to my e-mail after I initially sent it) that they were "working on" a new site, better matching/representing the magazine.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-06-06, 19:02

Thanks for the link. I'll keep my eyes peeled for a copy down here, but I sort of doubt it has made it to our shores. Of course, I could be wrong. At any rate, if I come across it, I'll pick a copy up!

All I want is a simple life
twitter
Windswept
On Pacific time

2004-06-06, 20:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
Well, two actually:

First, I'm in it!
Cool !! Congrats.

Quote:
I dearly love this magazine and so I wrote them a couple of months ago, telling them so. Never thought anything of it and I get the new issue today and BOOM...there's my letter, name, etc.

For those of you who don't know, this is a new (well, 6 or so issues by now) British Mac magazine. IMO, it puts all the ones we have here in this country to shame. It's VERY Apple-centric, packed with TONS of tutorials on the iApps and even Apple's "upper level" apps like Soundtrack, Final Cut Pro, etc. That, combined with a great, clean design and GORGEOUS photography (they seem to be allergic to Apple's tired, stock product "beauty shots" and seem to take their own most of the time, using cool angles, close-ups, etc. making these products look like the items of art they often are) make this a great magazine. Check it out. If you can get past the occasional funny spellings ("organisations" and whatnot) you'll love it!
Well, you've sold me. I'm going to subscribe, AND try to get all the past issues. I have subscribed to various British magazines over the last few years, and most have been beautiful, with fantastic photography. I look at the pictures and dream of living in a cottage on the coast of Devon a year from now - for a few months at least.

Quote:
Okay, so that's the first tidbit...me winding up in a British magazine (by the way, they are, apparently "chuffed to bits" at my praise...I'll take that as a good thing?).
Yeah, chuffed. Love that word. Thanks for mentioning the magazine. Do you think they'd carry that current issue at Border's or Barnes and Noble?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-06-06, 20:45

I always get mine (I've got Issues 4 through 7...the first three seem to be sold out) at Barnes & Noble here in town.

There might be a slight lag (maybe a month?) from when they're fresh on the stands in the UK and available here (this issue doesn't mention the new PowerBooks and iBooks, NAB software updates/unveilings, etc.) but it certainly doesn't render it useless!

I don't go to magazines for "up to the minute news" anyway. And this one strictly focuses on the Apple iApps and other Apple software ONLY for their tutorials, making it VERY Apple-centered and fun to read.

They do offer subscriptions worldwide and, I think, U.S. ones are $99? Kinda high...but I'm paying $15 a pop at Barnes & Noble, so...

Oh, and they recently - as of last issue - went from 6 issues a year to 9, so that helps!

I can't say enough good things about it. Like I said in my letter to them, it's the kind of magazine I could imagine Apple themselves producing because it just has a great layout/design, the writing is casual and friendly and their sole focus is Macs and Apple software! It's not the magazine to get if you're looking for PowerPoint, Photoshop Elements or After Effects tutorials and articles. But if, instead, you're more into Keynote, iPhoto and Final Cut Express/Pro, this is the one!

It's EXACTLY the kind of magazine I've spent the last 3-4 years wishing someone would do! Apple should be very happy and proud.

EDS66

2004-06-06, 21:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
Well, two actually:

First, I'm in it!

Second tidbit? Their cover story this time is on the G5 (gorgeous cover...can't miss it on the stands!) and they have a little sidebar called "Six of the Best G5 Websites". There's apple.com, of course, along with xlr8yourmac.com, architosh.com, macrumors.com, etc.

Then, lo and behold, right there - in the second slot, immediately following apple.com, is none other than www.macosrumors.com

Now, in and of itself, that's funny as hell. But it gets better. Here is what this magazine says about the site:

I have to ask...is this an example of that British humor I hear about? It's often so dry, it's hard to tell. They should put a little pic of John Cleese or those AbFab chicks beside the article, just so we know.

"Best rumor sites"? I guess, if you don't count accuracy or anything they say actually never coming to be. And "regularly updated" must translate into "when they're not down", as they have been for two weeks.

Of all the places to hail as "one of the best rumor sites"...

Anyway, this latest issue was extra special. With the inclusion of yours truly in the letter section AND that priceless little nugget about MOSR. Besides that one little misstep, it's a great issue (as usual).

On stands now (Issue 7). It's red with big white "iCreate" letters and a G5 and AirPort Extreme Base Station on the cover. Check it out, won't you?
It's a damn good mag. How come all those Brit mags are so much better, both esthetically and substantively than the tripe we get in the US Mac publications, huh?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-06-07, 07:53

Yeah, I don't know. But I've been wondering that for a good while now! And it's TRUE! Odd, isn't it?