User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Holy Shit (or, The Real Life Episode of Cops that Just Happened In Front of My House)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Holy Shit (or, The Real Life Episode of Cops that Just Happened In Front of My House)
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-10-06, 01:00

Yeah, so I was getting a drink of milk at my fridge when I hear a loud crash in front of my house. I whirled around (our front door practically opens right into our kitchen) and I see that a red pickup truck just smashed into my car, which was parked on the street. Half in disbelief, I ran outside, and my mom grabbed the phone and followed, calling the cops. Then the pickup backed up, and sped off.

Luckily, I live on a dead-end street. If he had made a U-turn and drove off he might have had a chance (fortunately, he was probably too drunk to realize that) but by the time he had driven down the street, all my neighbors had come out into the street to see what had happened, so there was no way he could escape.

So the guy pulled into his house (he was driving down my dead end street, after all) and ran inside. A cop showed up, and we showed him what house it was. The guy apparently had several pit bulls, and he wasn't coming out. The policeman had to call for back-up.

In all, three cop cars and two motorcycles showed up, and he was still resisting arrest, and the cops couldn't get inside because of the pit bulls. I was hearing rumblings that S.W.A.T. was going to show up, but a tow truck showed up first to impound his truck. This finally got him to go outside and turn himself in.

I totaled my car by parking it on the street.

I guess the moral of the story is, don't drink and drive...on a wet, slippery night...when you live in Vegas and aren't used to wet, slippery nights.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-10-06, 01:07

Yikes. We had a similar thing happen last year, but it was a neighbor's cars. Yeah, the guy took out both of their cars parked on the street. He went up the side of the Cadillac, and landed in the front end of their Lexus SUV, where his car got stuck in theirs.

And he was still trying to drive off. I went out, asked if he was okay, and woke up the neighbors who had slept through it. The guy was *toasted*.

The Caddy belonged to the visiting son-in-law, a lawyer. The Lexus? To the father of the house, another lawyer.

The guy also didn't have a license, and later we found out he was an illegal immigrant.

Oops.
ssdd108

2006-10-06, 04:35

Welcome to Las Vegas

What kind of car do you have? Not too nice I hope.

The very first day I moved to Vegas I saw someone get murdered. I remember it was in the middle of the day and we stopped at a 7-Eleven to get directions. We had passed two guys arguring in the parking lot. It seemed harmless. The kind of thing where two friends are just bullshitting eachother. Somewhere down the line it must of turned serious. While I was paying for a slurpee I looked out the door and saw one guy bashing the other with a tire iron. The was blood flying everywhere but it was over as soon as it begun. Everyone was in total shock. He sped off but was caught not too long after.
AWR
Veteran Member

2006-10-06, 05:00

Sorry about that Roboman.

Is there ANY upside to losing your car?, like "It's totalled and the payout will be decent so I can get the car that I actually want". Or was this your favorite car, and It's not totalled just USD 7,000 in damage including "slightly" "dfifferent" chassis...
drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-10-06, 06:35

This Thread Is Useless Without Pictures!!!!
That's what they say on Fark.

Seriously though, sorry about your car. Hope that it does work out to your advantage. Let us know!

Some pictures would be nice though...

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
murbot
Hoonigan

2006-10-06, 09:02

Hey, I'll be there in a couple of weeks. Shoot me the address. I'll take care of everything.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-10-06, 09:24

Be afraid.
Be very afraid.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-10-06, 09:39

Wow, Roboman, I'm really sorry about your car.

Here's hoping he'll have good insurance that will provide you with a nice new vehicle.

Yeah, parking on the street can be pretty hazardous.
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2006-10-06, 09:45

Jeez Roboman...you're luck lately...did you break a house of mirrors 7 years ago?
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-10-06, 10:21

Mur, if you don't bring back humorous or possibly tasteless pictures for us to look at, Chuck Norris will be paying you a visit.

PS - instead of a tow-truck I think the police should've evacuated the neighborhood and called in a crew from Nellis with the Daisy Cutter Mini ™. Then all that would be left of the drunk, his truck, home and improperly trained pitbulls... would be a smoldering crater.

Sure the next door neighbors might have to renovate a little afterwards, but it would be worth it to rid your neighborhood of this menace!

...into the light of a dark black night.
murbot
Hoonigan

2006-10-06, 10:26

I can't stop picturing this as a scene from CSI. Damn TV is poisoning my mind.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-10-06, 10:40

Easy Grissom, easy.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-10-06, 13:07

When I chose the lot on which to have my house built, I really 'preferred' the lot just to the south of me, because it had an unobstructed view of the park and trees down the way, of the wide expanse of the sky, and of the sun rising over the mountains in the mornings.

But I gave all that up for the lot just to the north, because I figured at some point in time, some drunk person in a pickup truck would try to make the turn too fast and would come skidding into that very yard and house. I feel sure it will indeed happen someday. Tsk.

If some idiot crashes into 'my' front yard, they'll hit a tree before they get to my house, which is the way I planned it.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-10-06, 13:19

Windswept, but couldn't you have built a ditch and a rock garden among the street on that south lot?

That way, you get a very attractive "front" to your lawn, while rendering your lot imprenetrable by those dipshists?

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2006-10-06, 13:25

I prefer to see a moat.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-10-06, 13:35

and ditch isn't a moat?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-10-06, 13:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssdd108 View Post
Welcome to Las Vegas

What kind of car do you have? Not too nice I hope.
No, it's not a nice car. It was just...my car.

Ironically, last night I was telling people on another message board how much I didn't like driving in Vegas. Not only is it obviously busier than my old hometown, but it seems like nobody knows how to drive - there's so many tourists who have no idea where they're going, and nobody is as used to the rain, so when it does rain there's a lot of accidents. And lo and behold, a few hours after posting that...

But hey, at least I didn't see someone get murdered.

Windswept: Yeah, I know parking on the street isn't ideal - even on a quiet, dead-end street - but I only do it 'cause I kinda have to, obviously. My driveway is full with my parent's cars, and my dad doesn't seem to be in a hurry to use our garage for our cars...go figure.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-10-06, 13:42

What kind of person uses their garage for *cars*? Yeesh, talk about weird.

Keep us posted, man, hope it turns out okay.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-10-06, 13:48

Is anyone disturbed that the "Similar Threads" for this thread lists macsxxxx's thread about meaning of life?
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-10-06, 13:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana View Post
Windswept, but couldn't you have built a ditch and a rock garden among the street on that south lot?

That way, you get a very attractive "front" to your lawn, while rendering your lot imprenetrable by those dipshists?

Well, I 'could' have, yes. But the lots aren't particularly huge, and that would have taken space away from the lush landscaping that I wanted, and that I now have.

My yard is like a park compared to others in the neighborhood: tall shady trees, lots of flowering shrubs (hot pink, bright yellow, pale pink, pale blue, white, bright orange), lush grass that stays green all winter, and tomorrow I'm putting out some new flowers for some intense splashes of color in terra cotta bowls here and there... bright yellow, deep purple, white, and lavender.
Partial
Stallion

2006-10-06, 14:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
Yeah, so I was getting a drink of milk at my fridge when I hear a loud crash in front of my house. I whirled around (our front door practically opens right into our kitchen) and I see that a red pickup truck just smashed into my car, which was parked on the street. Half in disbelief, I ran outside, and my mom grabbed the phone and followed, calling the cops. Then the pickup backed up, and sped off.

Luckily, I live on a dead-end street. If he had made a U-turn and drove off he might have had a chance (fortunately, he was probably too drunk to realize that) but by the time he had driven down the street, all my neighbors had come out into the street to see what had happened, so there was no way he could escape.

So the guy pulled into his house (he was driving down my dead end street, after all) and ran inside. A cop showed up, and we showed him what house it was. The guy apparently had several pit bulls, and he wasn't coming out. The policeman had to call for back-up.

In all, three cop cars and two motorcycles showed up, and he was still resisting arrest, and the cops couldn't get inside because of the pit bulls. I was hearing rumblings that S.W.A.T. was going to show up, but a tow truck showed up first to impound his truck. This finally got him to go outside and turn himself in.

I totaled my car by parking it on the street.

I guess the moral of the story is, don't drink and drive...on a wet, slippery night...when you live in Vegas and aren't used to wet, slippery nights.
don't drink and drive period
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-10-06, 14:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by tensdanny38 View Post
Well, yeah, I know. I was just pointing out that in this situation, it was probably even dumber than usual (if that's possible). I wasn't trying to say it was okay to drink and drive otherwise.

murbot
Hoonigan

2006-10-06, 15:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by tensdanny38 View Post
Bah, I drink and drive all the time. I don't drive drunk though. Ever.