AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Target selling new Mac mini!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Target selling new Mac mini!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-01-21, 16:00

http://www.macminute.com/2005/01/21/target/

I went to Target's site to confirm, and yep...they are. Now here's what is really cool: on their site, Target sells TONS of things they don't carry in their stores (lots of neat, funky furniture, lamps, home decor, kitchen/bath crap, etc.). When they do that, they always put a little red "web only" designation beside the product online.

Just now, looking at the two Mac mini models shown at target.com, there is no "web only" notice. Should we take that to mean that these little puppies are going to be in actual Target retail stores, next to the iPods, iPod minis and accessories they already carry?

Mac mini + Target retail = lots of Mac minis sold, IMO.

This also makes me wonder if they'll be in Best Buy? Best Buy, like Target, doesn't carry Macs, BUT they do stock iPods and tons of iPod accessories.

Not everyone orders online, sight unseen, and for towns like mine - with no Apple Store - Apple is going to have to seriously consider putting these switch-inducing minis in places like Target and Best Buy, if they can. I'm not sure of the logistics and all of this, but I think it's critical to do this.

Maybe this is the opening step?

We have no Apple resellers in my town, so if Apple wants to seriously have a shot at some switchers in Chattanooga, TN (or any other small/medium - but quite thriving, bustling and successful with lots of students, yuppies, gadget freaks, soccer moms, frustrated PC users, etc. - cities), they're going to need to consider this, IMO. Not everyone is going to drive to Atlanta or Nashville to buy an unknown machine. But you stick in places like Target and Best Buy, give it a good display and hope that at least ONE salesperson there has a clue, things might happen (especially if they back it up with commercials and strong marketing to CAUSE people to seek them out to begin with).
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2005-01-21, 16:17

This seems pretty big to me. I mean, I know it's not going to sell 4.5 million Mac minis in the next quarter, but for one, it says a lot about how Apple and Target see the mini and also it of course does still bring it to a wider audience. I do see it as a first step towards selling Macs as consumer electronics.

FYI:

http://www.macminute.com/2005/01/21/mac-mini-discount/
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-01-21, 16:33

Yea, it's big. Both for mindshare, and raw sales, it's going to be another sign of the Resurgence of Apple.
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2005-01-21, 16:41

I think the big inroads in market-share are to be gained selling to people who don't know any difference from operating systems, and those folks are in Target.
It's the first think I thought of when i saw the Mini.
Best Buy does carry Macs.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
octavist13

2005-01-21, 16:48

I've never seen Macs at Best Buy. Maybe that's a regional thing?
SKMDC

2005-01-21, 16:52

I think it was more selective then regional.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-01-21, 23:49

Whatever it is, they (Macs) aren't in my local Best Buy either. Just iPods and iPod accessories.
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2005-01-22, 00:41

The boxes aren't any bigger then the iPod boxes, so for Target to have then in stores wouldn't take anymore space up than the ipods do, which is why i can see them haveing the Mac mini next to the iPods...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-01-22, 00:54

At some point this weekend, I'll probably find myself at Target (I usually do). I'll be sure to look. I'd flip my lid if it appeared in this Sunday's circular!

I doubt it, but you never can tell. THAT would be quite a sight!

For people like my Dad or sister...they aren't going to suddenly get a wild hair and go online and order one, nor are they likely to drive to Atlanta to drop $500. BUT they just might - if I go with them, then go back to their house to help them get it set up and going and get them started - buy it locally from Target or whatever. It's less of a pain in the ass that way, to them...they see it, they get it, they take it home that day, all without driving a few hundred miles.

Sounds silly, but that's just true, and that's how some folks are going to do it. If Apple has no plans to put these in Target retail locations, I truly hope they'd reconsider at some point. I think they'd be missing quite an opportunity for sales, especially in towns like mine where the pickings are slim (or nonexistent) when it comes to Macs.

Hell, I might buy one if it's just down the street at Target!
Akumulator

2005-01-22, 01:47

I don't think that Target will be carrying these... I could be wrong. If you look at the footer of the target.com website you'll see this:

©2005 Target.com. All rights reserved.
The Bullseye Design and Bullseye Dog are trademarks of Target Brands, Inc.
Powered by Amazon.com

I think these are sold through Target.com by way of Amazon.
Eugene
careful with axes

2005-01-22, 03:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akumulator
I think these are sold through Target.com by way of Amazon.
Yeah, I'm inclined to agree. There's one of those big Greatland Targets here, but they don't sell any PCs. The target.com website has tons of PCs.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-01-22, 09:13

Yeah, you're probably right. Bummer.

There are indeed different Target stores, huh? I never noticed until I went to California. There are regular Targets (older, kinda small), Target Greatland (which was HUGE). There are multi-story Targets (Pasadena). And just north of here, right outside Knoxville, is a Target that is even larger than that, featuring a full-tilt grocery store, complete with kick-ass deli, seafood, bakery and produce departments.

Super Mega Target? They carry furniture and housewares that I've never seen at the large, main Target here in town.

We have two: a nice, newer large one everyone seems to go to, then on the other side of town, a smaller, "been around forever" one. However, four blocks from it, is a HUGE construction project going on, which is a new one, larger than the one we've already got. And guess who lives less than two miles from it (when it opens in late summer)?

Oh well...it was nice to dream for a day, about the mini being sold here in town.

SKMDC

2005-01-22, 10:36

Well the first law of retail is "if there is a demand for it, sell it".
So right now Target may be putting a proverbial toe in the water by selling the mini online, and if they move some, maybe expand into stores, but piggybacking it to their iPod success would be a no-brainer.

Has Target ever sold a full-fledged computer in their store?

psactes: your Target knowledge is extensive and impressive.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-01-22, 11:05

Target ranks up there among my favorite other things (the color orange, Adobe Illustrator, women with short hair, etc.).

Got a bit of a Target fetish, I suppose. I love it, more than any other place.

I want to say that - back in the mid/late 90's - I saw some computers in Target. I was in Orange County, CA at the time. I know there were displays (CRT), and they carried Agfa scanners (that white one with the iMac-colored lid handles) and other things like that (Lexmark and UMAX gear, too). In fact, one of their endcap displays once had a gutted jellybean iMac, with digital cameras and printers sitting around it (pre Jobs' "digital hub" statement). I'm about 92% sure Target sold computers...and I want to say HP was the brand. Or Compaq? If not the actual tower, I do know they had monitors, scanners, printers, etc.

They still sell inkjets (HP and Canon) and have a pretty nice aisle or two of USB thumb drives, digital camera memory, hubs, cables, laptop cases, speakers, mice, blank media, inkjet toner, etc.
SKMDC

2005-01-22, 11:52

As someone who worked his entire life in retail I'd like to know what it is about Target that makes me open my wallet so willingly. I'm suspecting ultra-sonic messaging over the P.A.

My favorite laptop bag was bought at Target. (least expensive too!) Also after I asked them they started carrying my InkJet replacement toner.
Ironically, since moving to the near-west suburbs Target is more difficult to get to, actually everything is more difficult to get to, but the schools are better. I'm still a 20 minute train ride from "the Loop" and my favorite retail
environment on North Michigan Avenue.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-01-22, 11:59

Sometimes I just drive through Target's parking lot and throw a $20 bill out my window. I figure it's gonna wind up there anyway...

kidding, of course...it's $10.

jdorian

2005-01-22, 23:23

Apple tends to be very careful with the companies that they allow to be Apple resellers. While a company might sell the iPod, they are not a reseller for the rest of the Apple product. The Apple Store, CompUSA and Microcenter are the only retail stores that sell the full Apple product line (iPod, eMac, Imac, PowerMac, Displays, iMac Mini, etc.) that I am aware of. In fact, CompUSA can get the Xserve and Xraid (along with other high end product). To obtain retail reseller ability likely requires having trained employees and/or Apple employees available full time to help promote the brand/ answer brand related questions. Without having direct knowledge of the requirements to become a retail reseller, I am only guessing.

Target will not have this type of staffing in order to meet what I can only assume is a requirement to obtain retail resale abilities. If you notice, Circuit City and Best Buy are only selling iPods because they fail to meet a requirement of Apple, or that Apple does not want them to sell their product...
adam_tj

2005-01-22, 23:28

Wow. I live in Johnson City, TN, and our target has some iPods. We are about as far from an Apple Store as is possible in the continental US. That would be awesome if they sold minis at target!!

What's the difference between a Democrat and a bucket of crap? The bucket.
FallenFromTheTree

2005-01-23, 00:29

Several of the local Best Buy stores did carry base Power
Macs at one point , but the staff simply didn't understand enough to market
them since most of them were only familiar with Wintel products.
As a result, sales were less than expected.

This is way different with the Mac Mini.

This is something almost anyone can easily put on a credit card or fit into their budget.

The problem will be finding well informed salespeople to properly demonstrate the benefits of OSX.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-01-23, 02:13

i'm assuming since no one posted confirmation as to whether or not Target is carrying Mac Mini's yet in retail locations that we aren't sure.

i know someone i can have look into it though.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2005-01-23, 02:21

10% off code if you want to buy through Target.

Got that at here where you will also find a great Mac mini servicing guide in pdf.

Get the mini 10% off, use the guide to replace the HD and add more RAM, then if you can somehow get the AirPort/Bluetooth upgrade kit, you'd save a bunch of cash.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-01-23, 06:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by NosferaDrew
10% off code if you want to buy through Target.

Got that at here where you will also find a great Mac mini servicing guide in pdf.

Get the mini 10% off, use the guide to replace the HD and add more RAM, then if you can somehow get the AirPort/Bluetooth upgrade kit, you'd save a bunch of cash.
Tax at target really puts a damper on this deal though. BUT we've got a slew of gift cards at target that we could use for one. Not too bad an option if you've got target money to spend.
Crusader

Send a message via AIM to Crusader  
2005-01-23, 17:33

Target equipped my entire dorm room save my Powerbook and books. I'm always wary of Macs expanding into the retail world without the proper support, because I feel that someone that is uninformed and unable to obtain help with their mac purchase will more often then not flame the mac to everyone they know. But that's just me

"It's a good thing there's no law against a company having a monopoly of good ideas. Otherwise Apple would be in deep yogurt..."
-Apple Press Release
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-01-23, 20:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes
i'm assuming since no one posted confirmation as to whether or not Target is carrying Mac Mini's yet in retail locations that we aren't sure.

i know someone i can have look into it though.
For the first time in centuries, I actually didn't make it to a Target during the weekend.

But they weren't in the Sunday circular or anything like that. I will be at Target this week, at some point, and I'll be sure to look and/or ask...
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-01-23, 20:40

I was at a Target today and didn't see any. I did get an MP3 CD player for $20 though, $10 less than they were charging through their website. Good deal, considering it can hold 700 MB of music.
easywind

2005-01-25, 12:36

Jan 25,2005. 9:29PST.

It is a regional thing. The Best Buy in my Town SF Bay area,carries the G5 Macs.
I would wager that we will see the Mac Mini showing up on major chain store shelfs eventually.

But the greater question I have is, how long do we have to wait before they start shipping to Local Apple Stores, Large Chain Stores, like Target, Best Buy and CompUSA- a Mac Mini in a 512Mb configuration, for an additional $75.00.
I went to pick up a Mac Mini just yesterday, and all the Local Apple Stores were sold out. That seems to be why the Local Apple Stores charge you double to add more Ram, but the Online Apple store only charges $75 to add 512mb more to either model.

Keep posted on the Target Thing, maybe they get a bigger shipment then the Local Apple Stores...

eaywind
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-01-25, 21:59

UPDATE: Target pulls Mac mini from online store.

Well that didn't take long.

The above article says no reason was given, however an article at appleinsider.com cites "availability concerns".

No shit. I guess they won't be carrying the iPod shuffle anytime soon either, huh?

I'd love to see Apple - just once - announce a completely new product and have it primed and available by the crateload, ready to go, immediately.

Sigh...

It'll probably be MONTHS before we can just walk in to Best Buy or anywhere like that and buy a shuffle, spur of the moment.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-01-26, 10:00

Bastard! You beat me to it....

MacCentral Version