User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Apple plans "special event" on Sep. 7 (iPod speculation)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple plans "special event" on Sep. 7 (iPod speculation)
Page 1 of 8 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Last Thread Tools
vasili

2005-08-29, 14:14

iPod Video? What else can it be?

“1000 songs in your pocket changed everything. Here we go again.”

http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/08...cial/index.php

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-08-29, 14:19

No, not an iPod video. They're going to premier a white iPod version of the Oakley Thump.

"1,000 songs in your sunglasses will change everything again!"

Maybe I'm just bitter from that "A supercomputer for your desk...next?" tease.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2005-08-29, 14:43

It has to be an iPod video. If this is the 20ths news as well, I'll be very, very mad.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-08-29, 14:49

I highly doubt the iPod video would be unveiled on the 7th and again at Paris.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-08-29, 14:56

Engadget thinks it's going to be the Motorola "ROKR" iTunes phone.

They've previously heard things about the phone being released on the 7th, and then Apple goes and announces an event on that date for what definitely sounds like a new sort of iPod.

Yeah, I think it's going to be the iTunes phone too. *sigh*

Louie
I hate content

Send a message via AIM to Louie Send a message via MSN to Louie  
2005-08-29, 15:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasili
iPod Video? What else can it be?

http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/08...cial/index.php
ummm a phone?

The Return of the 'nut
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-08-29, 15:29

it won't be a phone.

the "iPhone" whenever it is released is not going to be a huge product for apple. and it won't be an iPod

The 7th will be something new and exciting, and most likely revolve around video.

namachtag
Awaiting Email Confirmation

2005-08-29, 15:53

It could be the new shuffles! Also, The world of content creation, management and delivery conference in Amsterdam starts Sept. 9th. Apple has a booth there, i wish they would announce new Dual Core Power Macs!A video iPod seems unlikely!

Last edited by namachtag : 2005-08-29 at 15:58.

Amadeus

2005-08-29, 15:58

I will take the approach of expecting nothing so that I won't be disappointed. That way hopefully I will be pleasantly surprised. Not really interested in the iPod, my wife would be interested in the phone

Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2005-08-29, 16:23

"Changed everything...here we go again." implies a major shift in doing things (i.e. watching video)
A phone playing MP3's via iTunes is simply not revolutionary enough.

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-08-29, 16:26

No, no, no... you're all missing it.

"Here we go again."

All iPods will be stripped down to the original 5GB. Duh.

maddav

2005-08-29, 16:33

It must be the new shuffles:

"Do not eat iPod Shuffle"

"1000 songs in your mouth"

Batman

2005-08-29, 16:46

maddav - Nice post ( ), and welcome to Applenova!

maddav

2005-08-29, 16:49

Thanks, I thought it was worth registering just for that, but looking around, it's a really good forum

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-08-29, 19:02

It's so close to the Paris Expo. Seems that it wouldn't be something TOO huge, would it? I don't know. There's no set rule on this stuff, is there?

I'm thinking it's that phone, although I can't understand why it's a device worthy of a special event unveiling. And why it would be Apple.

Maybe it's that tablet thing!

[ducks and runs for his life]

ThorM

2005-08-29, 19:06

The invitation says "1,000 songs in your pocket changed everything. Here we go again." That would imply to me that they are up to something new, with parallels to music, but different. Video is the obvious candidate.

iTunes can already handle video and Apple have started selling Music videos on the Music Store. Steve has dismissed talk of a video iPod in the past on the grounds that watching a movie is a very different experience to listening to music. It requires your full concentration, takes a lot more time, and people generally do not watch the same movie more than a small number of times. Plus, downloading movies would require much more bandwidth or time than is practical right now (or at least than would meet Steve's "quick and easy" requirements).

That having been said, I'm sure I read a rumour recently (and I fully admit to not remembering where so I could just be fabricating this in my dreams) that Apple were considering bundling a TV tuner and DVR software with new Macs. Putting to one side the practical considerations regarding different TV systems (NTSC, PAL, SECAM, DVB etc.), it did make me think...

Maybe they believe that although people would not go for a portable movie player, they would be interested in some sort of Tivo to Go. There's an app on your Mac that records your favourite programs. The majority are 30 or 60 minutes long. You can copy them over Firewire to a video iPod, and watch them at your convenience. They are shorter than films (especially if you can skip the ads), disposable (watch once and delete), and bandwidth is not an issue, as you only have to worry about getting them to the iPod. Uncontended Firewire is more than enough for quick transfers of 30/60 minute video compressed for a small screen.

In the meantime, Apple starts selling music videos, which are short enough to be downloadable, and does the groundwork for when movie downloading is practical. Assuming enough people want that to make it a viable business.

Apple was late to the CD burning party, but when they arrived they had the most complete, intuitive, end to end system, with mass market appeal. If they were moving into video, I assume they would do the same, and tapping into people's attachment to their TVs is a good way to get people's attention. Plus they don't have to negotiate with all the movie studios at this point, just as the Music Store came later to the iPod. They just need content. CDs provided content for the iPod, TV could provide it for the video iPod. Just as they were on safe ground legally with ripping your own music to the iPod, so the VCR has set the required legal precedents for copying TV to a video iPod.

Of course, this is just my wild speculative theory with no basis in fact whatsoever that will inevitably make me look stupid in a week or so's time...

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-08-29, 19:06

While I've got no clue what's coming down the pipe, I'd guess the phone makes the most sense. GSM phone on Sept 7 with one US company, unveil European partners in Paris a couple weeks later.

That way the Paris Expo is *locally* a *huge* deal, but Sept 7 remains a big event in the US.

Two events for one product.

Or it could be a multi-button mouse... naw, that's silly.

BenP

2005-08-29, 19:22

I will be effing pissed if this is a phone. I think it's a video iPod.

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-08-29, 19:26

See, I don't get that.

"Man, if they don't put out the product *I* want, I'm gonna be *mad*!"

Um, why?

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-08-29, 19:49

Any chance that this phone could be more than just a simple iTunes-capable device (which doesn't sound all that thrilling, to be honest). But what if there were other features and capabilities that we've not hit on, truly making this something approaching Newton 2005 territory?

Any chance it could have some serious "Apple under the hood" vibe, with a browser, e-mail, .Mac integration, etc. or would word have leaked on it long ago?

They developed that "secret version" of OS X all these years and we weren't aware of it, so if they kept all the testing and tweaking in-house...

Or am I just being silly and overly optimistic?

I just can't seem to get excited about a phone that plays a few mp3s or whatever.

BUT, a phone that combines an iPod shuffle, a camera, basic iApp integration, surfing/e-mailing, etc. all implemented with typical Apple style and ease-of-use...that WOULD interest me quite a bit.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2005-08-29 at 19:50.

HezMah19
Formerly "jmahe19"

Send a message via AIM to HezMah19  
2005-08-29, 20:41

perhaps an Apple iPod PDA ? or something along those lines...

Batman

2005-08-29, 21:01

A return to the Newton would be interesting, but is doubtful. However, since this is speculation, what do you guys think OS X Portable (OS X P ) would be like?

Sometimes ... things that are expensive ... are worse.

Chinney
Veteran Member

2005-08-29, 21:27

It'll be the iChair - a portable device that allows infants and small children to sit up and eat at table level.

InactionMan
Veteran Member

2005-08-29, 21:53

That Cringely guy already revealed what it'll be. New video iPods that come pre-installed with OS X86. Plug it in, boot up Tiger on your generic Intel box. World Domination.

Or that stupid phone that we've all be waiting for.

HezMah19
Formerly "jmahe19"

Send a message via AIM to HezMah19  
2005-08-29, 22:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by InactionMan
New video iPods that come pre-installed with OS X86. Plug it in, boot up Tiger on your generic Intel box. World Domination.

Sounds like a plan.
However I would personally like to see apple bring out a PDA again, I mean, come on, they COULD do it. "1000 songs in your pocket changed everything. Here we go again."

^ Its a very broad comment, IMO it only tells us that Apple intends to release something they consider to be revolutionary in the portable electronic market. (stating the obvious )

My moneys on Video iPod or PDA

jm.

Last edited by HezMah19 : 2005-08-29 at 22:32.

Phronetix

Send a message via AIM to Phronetix  
2005-08-29, 22:23

I'm thinking that whatever device that Apple manufactures to play video will be something other than an iPod-like device, at least in appearance. I can't see Steve Jobs giving his blessing to a video-playing iPod with the same small screen.

My thoughts are: iPod redesign, or new OS/interface, or a video iPod with DVR capabilities.

And there is NO way Apple would ever release a two button mouse.

Phro

I sync therefore I am.
Phronetix 1:24

DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-08-29, 23:19

iPod video and iTunes 5.0, now with the iTunes Video Store.

flail

2005-08-30, 01:17

The iPod name is so broad, what if there was a split in the lines, one for music and the other for personal organization or video. Or the video would go with the music line. As you can see I'm really talking out of my ass.

titeun

2005-08-30, 02:35

You know, reading through these posts I have come to what I think is going to be revealed. Let me explain.

Not the iTunes Phone. Like someone said above, the phone isnt something that apple would get that excited about, I mean honestly do any of you guys think apple would host a special event and invite people to it using the 1000/pocket quote, all for a product that they don't even manufacture. It would be made by motorola anyways, so why would apple need to host an event. And according to many sites its just the phone that plays music, not that cool, unless... the only way I could see it happening is if apple manufactured this phone and it was like an apple cell phone, complete with itunes, iapps, .mac integration and cell capabilities, and bluetooth, but then something like this is something we dream of but not sure it fits up with what apple is hinting at. Sure maybe eventually the moto phone will come out, maybe even the same event, but this has got to be something else.

Video iPod, could it be, well maybe, as we read above, all things are lined up as far as content, but surely it isnt just a normal ipod that plays video, steve must have made us something cooler, something that catches us off gaurd.

I believe it's either the video ipod, or.. an ipod that is redesigned with a bigger screen, that plays video and has iapps, .mac integration, an internet browser, wifi/and cellular signal all under one hood. I hope it is this, I hope it has everything in a nice package, but probably it will not have cellular signal. I just hope its something like an ipod, but with more features than just video, and a bigger screen.

Baron Munchausen

2005-08-30, 05:07

I think it is video, but not just movies but also a means to download TV for 'watch when you want' is my guess. Who says this HAS to be via the tiny screen? iPod Photo already has video out, so why not sync at your PC and then plug it into your TV, or better still, stream it over Airport to your TV... :-).

Removable media, like PSP?

I also suspect it may be a phone. A phone might be better announced in Paris.