User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Car Talk
Page 61 of 68 First Previous 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65  Next Last Thread Tools
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-09-15, 22:57

How does it drive? I've seen one up close but forget how big it is.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2022-09-15, 23:14

Size wise, think normal SUV with a 4 1/2" bed rather than a hatch. Just a little shorter than a modern Ford Ranger, but mid-range SUV height profile. Weighs around 3542 pounds.

Found this picture, might help. Ranger on the left, Maverick center, F150 right.

Drive isn't bad. Not much body roll, but have to take corners a little slower than a car. The hybrid has more than enough power for light duty truck work. If I was maxing out the 1460 pound payload (based on the features of my build) I'd want the turbo engine for sure. It's no luxury car, but it isn't as stiff as a traditional truck. More comfortable, less stiff than the 2013 RAV4 Limited I drove, but not as nice as a late-2000's Camry or Accord. I would say it's less stiff than a Corolla or Civic. It does feel stiffer when you start putting weight in the back, but that's normal in any vehicle.

Last edited by PB PM : 2022-09-15 at 23:28.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2022-09-16, 06:53

The Ranger and Maverick seem much more appropriate for a truck size than these massive trucks that are being produced these days.

The new Chevy trucks seem like they have an 8 ft grille on them. The hoods on them come up to my shoulders. Those are too damn big to be on the street.

There was one video I just saw yesterday where the guy was in traffic in a new truck and was going to move forward, but the truck alerted him that there was something in front and an entire damn Corvette was in front of him that he couldn't see from his seat.

Trucks have gotten too damn big in the US and it seems like they just keep getting bigger.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-09-16, 07:59

Trucks have become symbolic of the super size me syndrome we have for everything. If you go into the truck communities, they want big trucks for ground clearance and off road adventure (something 90% of them will never do) and more people want those packages with metal skid plates and stiff off-road shocks. What they really is comes down to, hey my truck is $100k, it’s big, get out of my way peasant.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-09-16, 08:26

The Maverick really is the right size truck for me, though I do still lament the lack of a longer bed and shorter cab.

The Maverick is 199.7" long compared to my 1998 Ranger that is "Length, Overall w/o rear bumper (in)187.5" so about 195" with the bumper on it.

The Maverick is 72.6" wide w/o mirrors and the 1998 Ranger is 69.4".

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-09-16, 08:50

You aren’t alone on the bed size, I wish it was a 5ft bed. The longest item I take with me is 4 inches too long to go in the bed diagonally. I do like the supercrew though, the storage under the backseat is nice to have, almost all the things I never took out of my cars trunk (first aid kit, roadside safety kit, hammer and such) go in there, and a smaller cab likely wouldn’t have that space. Not to mention I do occasionally take my niece and nephew places, and the car seats wouldn’t fit in a single cab.

I suspect the main reason for the 4.5ft bed was to protect ranger sales. The competing Hyundai Santa Cruz also has a similar sized bed. The Santa Cruz has a much nicer interior and wiz bang features, and traditional SUV fuel economy. Of course it doesn’t start at $22k (base price for the just announced 2023 ) like the Maverick. All the packages got broken up, and the price is up, very glad I got a 22 in that regard.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2022-09-16, 11:43

I feel attacked lol
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2022-09-16, 13:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
I feel attacked lol
I figured you would be the reply here. haha

I just noticed it more living in NYC than I had before. When you're constantly walking within a foot or so of traffic and these trucks are right next to you, it's very apparent that these trucks (at least the ones in the city) are oversized and inappropriate.

I've also noticed the size more as we've gotten a Mini Cooper and am driving much closer to the ground than we were in our Q7.

I understand that these size trucks with big beds have a purpose and a use case, but it just seems like most of the truck lines have gotten bigger just to get bigger.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-09-16, 14:38

It’s not your imagination, there are plenty of older 6-8ft bed trucks that aren’t 8-9 feet tall. They don’t need to be, it’s just what the “truck guy” and “pro” auto reviewers, and many buyers demand, whether they need it or not.

And the most common truck bed size sold on half ton trucks is 5-5.4ft. People aren’t buying them for the utilities they of a truck, more often than not. People towing toy haulers, camping trailers and boats I get. It’s the ones that don’t that puzzle me. You could get a much, much nicer vehicle for the same money.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-09-16, 14:44

I drive a Toyota Tundra with a 5.5' bed. It gets used as a truck. Towing, hauling, etc. It's more comfortable to drive than most cars, and the only thing I don't like is the sucky truck MPG business. But, without it I would have to rent a truck all the time, which would be dumb.

That said, I'm not sure I understand the importance of owning a big pickup in a place like NYC. For a pro, it seems like a van would be a better fit, unless one is regularly hauling refrigerators or something like that. Otherwise, smaller is better in a big city with narrow streets. Owning a truck just to own a truck — you know, for 'Murica — is dumb.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-09-16, 14:46

Let’s be honest the Tundra is a much nicer truck than an Ford or Chevy, even if it is a gas guzzler.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-09-16, 14:53

I vastly prefer my Tundra to any of the Big 3's offerings. Were I towing 25,000 pounds all the time, I could see owning a big F-350 or a 3500 or something, but I have no interest in the F-150 or 1500-series trucks.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-09-16, 19:47

Completely agree, even just from test driving a 2010 Tundra for a short time I liked it better than when I had to drive a friends more modern F-150. Liked it better than the Tacoma and Frontier as well, although the latter two are more nimble.

Still ended up going for the Maverick, I just don’t need a full size truck. If someone made a Tacoma/Frontier/Ranger hybrid that got 35MPG, for $35k I’d I have gone that route. Alas they don’t, and mid-size trucks are basically just as bad on gas as a full size. The full size hybrids are just too expensive, and still needlessly large.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2022-09-17, 05:58

The new GMC Denali Ultimate I got coming in November is only offered with the 5.5+” bed. I want to say it’s something like 5’8” or so. My current 2017 is a standard bed and it’s 6.5’ which is perfect for me for work. The smaller bed will take some getting use to but I’ll make it work.

People that complain about long bed length you can tell don’t actually use their trucks for work 😉

Driving a truck in the city blows tho. We go downtown a fair amount and my wife and I both have trucks, me for work, her for the horses and pulling the trailer. When we go tho, she has a Suburu Forester that we take a lot just because it’s a helluva lot easier in the parking garages. We’ll probably keep 2 trucks but we’re looking at an SUV instead of the Suburu for her next car. She’s really liking the Land Rover Discovery’s right now but we’ll see when that time comes next year.

Last edited by Yontsey : 2022-09-17 at 06:10.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-09-17, 08:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
People that complain about long bed length you can tell don’t actually use their trucks for work 😉
How is it that people who talk about bed length don’t use it for work? Depends on what kind of work you do, and what you put in the bed, so yea the length very much can matter. For most “truck people” ‘work’ is throwing a cooler in the back for a drinking binge party in the woods, or tying a fishing kayak on the back, so yes I get the comment. Now for my application an 8ft bed would be over kill, but 5ft, would be nicer than than 4.5ft, just because my longest tools don’t fit under the bed cover (security reasons and all that jazz). If Honda made a Ridgeline Hybrid, I would have considered that, perfect size.

I do admit the small size does keep the Maverick easier to maneuver than any of those half tons. Parking, due to the turning radius is a little harder than a car or RAV/CR-V sized SUV though. I often go through a lot and look for a space with two open stalls, so I have more room. Maybe I’m just nervous for no reason.

Your “Denali” is still just a Silverado, so yeah, call it what it is. It’s just a tack on marketing name like “Raptor” and “Tremor”. But hey, why not pay $90k for a $35k truck. Just poking the bear, not serious if you cannot tell. Hope you like the truck when it comes. The wait can be painful, so I hope it’s problem free.

Last edited by PB PM : 2022-09-17 at 08:19.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2022-09-17, 08:19

God, it's been a nightmare waiting for it. Been waiting since March 2021....

They dropped the Super Cruise awhile back too so I'm pretty bummed about that. They only made like 1100 of them with it and I just missed out.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-09-17, 08:32

I thought 9 1/2 months was bad. I really lucked out, nothing was dropped from my Maverick. I didn’t opt for the package with blind spot monitors (it causes big delays in production), and adaptive cruse wasn’t available on the trim level I got (hybrid was not a available in top trim in Canada, but is in the US ).

Ford started removing chip constrained items just after it was built. Things like the temperature dial in my truck shows the set temperature, the ones made after mid-May do not. Now they are removing the wireless hotspot feature, not that I have any use for it. The leather wrapped steering wheel is now a soft vinyl for 2023. They broke up the luxury package, to different things. When I ordered, and what I got, included heated seats, steering wheel and wiper park position, extra USB ports in the back row, 400W plugs in back row and the bed, tow hitch and a bed liner. Now it’s just the heated stuff, USB ports and the inverter. Apparently the bed liners are a big constraint for builds, particularly the spray-in one. Even the hitch was removed from the package because of delays!
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2022-09-17, 08:38

I totally believe all of that. It has been delayed because there were so many constraints. At one point, they were going to produce them without heated seats and steering wheel then install them when they became available. Those came back, then it was the 6.3L engines, then those were back. Then it was the Carbon Fiber truck beds. It's been on going. I felt bad for the dealerships because they were given zero information basically from corporate. Luckily I have a friend who works higher up so he would give me the updates and then I would tell my local dealership GM before they even told him. Such a piss poor rollout.

Mine's scheduled to be made Oct 2nd-9th and they said it would take about a month and then transport, which God knows how long that will be. I'm not holding my breath that I get it on time.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-09-17, 08:43

It took a month for my Maverick to ship, but it was coming from Mexico. Some people waited longer, because catalytic converter thieves stole them off the trucks on the trains! Is the Silverado still made in the US?
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2022-09-17, 09:01

Yeah they make them in Indiana so at least it's close by. I've heard there were long wait times for transports tho.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-09-17, 12:38

Yes, depending on where you are there could be a shortage of drivers. Lots of demand, a lots of older truckers retiring, I'm sure it's tough to get transport for some goods.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-09-19, 08:30

Have you looked at going to the plant for a tour and pickup? I've seen people do that for Harley Davidson and even the Astro back in the early '90s. Not sure it is even an option, but would be cool to be able to drive your truck home from the plant.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-09-19, 08:57

Big auto manufacturers aren’t allowing that, since they aren’t allowed by law to sell directly to customers. You have to wait until it’s at the dealer. That and apparently a lot of new cars are being stolen right off the manufactures plant lots.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2022-09-19, 10:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
You aren’t alone on the bed size, I wish it was a 5ft bed. The longest item I take with me is 4 inches too long to go in the bed diagonally. I do like the supercrew though, the storage under the backseat is nice to have, almost all the things I never took out of my cars trunk (first aid kit, roadside safety kit, hammer and such) go in there, and a smaller cab likely wouldn’t have that space. Not to mention I do occasionally take my niece and nephew places, and the car seats wouldn’t fit in a single cab.

I suspect the main reason for the 4.5ft bed was to protect ranger sales. The competing Hyundai Santa Cruz also has a similar sized bed. The Santa Cruz has a much nicer interior and wiz bang features, and traditional SUV fuel economy. Of course it doesn’t start at $22k (base price for the just announced 2023 ) like the Maverick. All the packages got broken up, and the price is up, very glad I got a 22 in that regard.
I was in the same boat hoping for a 5-ft bed on both the Maverick and Santa Cruz when they originally got announced. The under seat storage is great to help mitigate that, and there’s always bed extenders.

When I started looking for a new vehicle I had quickly honed in on those models as they offer the truck utility I need, but are not a hulking monstrosity.

I really wanted the hybrid option Maverick at first, but the lack of an AWD option for now was a non-starter for Maine winters and the backwoods roads I want to enjoy for camping. In my opinion, the Santa Cruz is a bit more suited for outdoors activities, whereas the Maverick is more of a city/highway driver.

I ultimately chose the Santa Cruz SEL Premium. Gas mileage sucks, but so do all the competitors. I was finally able to reserve an incoming one to the dealer that had 90% of my options. Hopefully take ownership 10/28.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-09-19, 12:14

For me, I'm pretty much all on-road driving so the extra traction would be nice, but rarely would my truck leave asphalt. Hybrid because I live in the sticks now and fuel economy with minimal other compromises would be high on the priority list.

While I would like leather, and wood trim etc... I'm good with plastic and a Car Play headunit for media. Something I could pay cash for, NEW, is a plus.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-09-19, 22:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
I was in the same boat hoping for a 5-ft bed on both the Maverick and Santa Cruz when they originally got announced. The under seat storage is great to help mitigate that, and there’s always bed extenders.

When I started looking for a new vehicle I had quickly honed in on those models as they offer the truck utility I need, but are not a hulking monstrosity.

I really wanted the hybrid option Maverick at first, but the lack of an AWD option for now was a non-starter for Maine winters and the backwoods roads I want to enjoy for camping. In my opinion, the Santa Cruz is a bit more suited for outdoors activities, whereas the Maverick is more of a city/highway driver.

I ultimately chose the Santa Cruz SEL Premium. Gas mileage sucks, but so do all the competitors. I was finally able to reserve an incoming one to the dealer that had 90% of my options. Hopefully take ownership 10/28.
Hope it all works out. To me neither are really a bad choice, but I find myself thinking I'm going to have to dump this Maverick once the warranty is up, I dread dealing with the problems that tend to plague Ford vehicles. I'm just waiting for a letter from Ford for a side-curtain airbag recall. I think that's 3-4 recalls on the Hybrid so far, and it's not even been in production for year. Year one problems I suppose, thankfully other than the last one, all of the others were fixed before mine was built. I'm hoping Toyota or Honda will make a similar plug-in hybrid in 5 years, based on the RAV or CRV. One thing I can say for Ford, is they do know how to make the vehicle utilitarian, something the Japanese automakers could stand to learn from.

One word of warning, from what I've seen from reviewers who took the Santa Cruz with the dual clutch transmission for off road adventures, is that the dual clutch is not great for that. It was a while ago, so I don't remember why, but I konw they thought the Maverick EcoBoost AWD package was better than the dual clutch Santa Cruz when both vehicles were tested on the same paths off the pavement. One of them who later bought a Santa Cruz got the lower trim just to get the standard automatic, which they said was better for off road.

Last edited by PB PM : 2022-09-19 at 22:46.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-09-20, 06:23

Speaking of Mexico and recalls, I watched a video by that funny car nut, Scotty, and he mentioned that production of the Tacoma had shifted to Mexico, and that there was a 70,000 vehicle recall due to bad frame welds inside the cabin - indicating that he believed they hadn't even figured out a way to make the repair due to how covered up that area is.

That has scared me *right out* of consideration of a Tacoma.

Have any of you read about this?

Also:
I looked up the Four Runner and it's still manufactured in Japan! That's got to be good, right?

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-09-20, 08:20

The frame weld thing would suck. I'm guessing it is just about disassemble the whole cabin to get to it without setting the truck on fire. Yeah, that is gonna cost a lot to get resolved.

Made in Japan, I would think those would be solid. I've not read anything about crap work out of Japan on the whole.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2022-09-20, 09:00

My Dad’s Corolla was made in Japan, had a bad weld in the front passenger side wheel well that allowed water into the cabin. Just to put a damper on the superiority of made in Japan theory.

I too was a little surprised when I heard Toyota had started to move production to Mexico. Consumer reports lowered their rating of quality for the Tacoma the year the transition happen. They were right to do so. Now only the Tundra is made in the US, in terms of trucks.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2022-09-20, 09:26

Same thing happened with Honda. Quality went to crap around 2014 when they started moving some production to Mexico. Then the plant flooded and production was moved back to Japan, suddenly the vehicles were good again. My 2011 Honda Fit was built in Japan (2nd generation). The 3rd generation Fit was from Mexico and was apparently a nightmare.

Part of the reason I got a Subaru Crosstrek is that all production is still in Japan.