User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Car Talk
Page 48 of 68 First Previous 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52  Next Last Thread Tools
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2015-01-12, 15:06

I'm surprised the Golf won all those awards to be honest. Maybe it's a slow year for cars. It still will be a slow seller here in the US for a number of reasons. Thankfully efficiency is up noticeably as they got rid of the ridiculous five cylinder as the base engine. Personally I like it and wouldn't mind having one but I doubt I'll buy one. As for the small engines I think they would do fine here. A 1.4 or 1.6 would have no problem selling here. There are a number of cars that sell well here with less than 1.8 liter engines. The new Mini has a three cylinder as it's base engine. It can be expensive to certify a new engine though and VW sales here are pretty low so I don't see them doing it right now. They need to address the CUV/SUV market here first. They are just getting killed in that area. For a company of their size it's embarrassing.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2015-01-13, 09:31

The main attraction of the current wave of downsized petrol engines is lower running costs. If petrol is only $2 a gallon (even with the recent price cuts, it’s still more than 3 × that here in France, and more again in the UK) the appeal of those engines is greatly diminished – which is a shame since most cars nowadays are monstrously overpowered and wasteful, whether their owners can afford to run them or not.

It’s clear car buyers don’t modify their behaviour even the slightest unless they’re beaten over the head with direct, visible costs. Appealing to people to be sensible or environmentally responsible seemingly doesn’t work with cars, despite working for things like recycling. It’s just not sexy. And the carmakers are partly to blame for that, since they’re still dumbly selling more power at every turn. The German makers are especially bad at this. It seems every new Mercedes-Benz or BMW is advertised as being more efficient and more powerful, as if we’re too thick to understand the nature of compromise.

(And many of us are. The other day I read someone complaining the current Porsche 911 Carrera, with 350 horsepower, should have more power. The original 911 had 130 horsepower!)

I eagerly await the day new cars will not only have downsized engines and greater efficiency, but less power than their predecessors. That would be real progress.

Another problem is that the laws of physics mean extra space in a car has a low cost. A car with twice as much space doesn’t cost twice as much to buy or run. So we have the current scenario of people buying a big car or SUV because three times a year it’s convenient to have all that space. The rest of the time said big car sits in a sea of other big cars with single occupants.

Obviously this stuff agitates me. Cars are one of our largest consumers of energy, and if they were designed and sold properly it would make a big difference to our overall energy use.

But going back to Volkswagen. I’m sure they’ll make one of those CUVs that everyone’s making these days. (CUVs are against all my automotive principles, but they’re unstoppable.) The question is whether American CUV buyers will want to buy a Volkswagen CUV rather than one of the many characterless CUVs already storming the market. The appealing things about Volkswagen may not penetrate the consciousness of typical CUV buyers. In other words, I don’t think CUVs naturally fit the Volkswagen brand.

Of course Porsche has had great success selling appalling SUVs to people with no taste, and it would be hard to find a more incongruous match than Porsche and SUVs. So who can say what people will buy?

… engrossed in such factional acts as dreaming different dreams.
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2015-01-13, 10:29

Yes, the Germans have been at the forefront of the horsepower wars for a long time now. If MB made a lawnmower you could pretty much guarantee there would be an AMG version. It's scary to drive around here when moms in minivans or SUVs are driving around with 300 horsepower.

If VW wants to hit there rather lofty sales targets here they will need a CUV strategy. People here shy away from the brand for a number of legitimate reasons so they'll need to get it right. I don't think the segment is against what they are about though. They've made cars in lots of different segments over the decades. Trucks, vans, campers, etc. And yes, the Cayenne is the most ridiculous vehicle out there though it may lose that title to that Bentley SUV which is coming.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2015-01-14, 23:37

Anyone have a 2014 Subaru / can confirms if the mileage is well over 30mpg highway? Or can confirm if new 2015 models (revision year for engine) are both reliable and beau coup mileage?

...into the light of a dark black night.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2015-01-15, 01:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
Anyone have a 2014 Subaru / can confirms if the mileage is well over 30mpg highway? Or can confirm if new 2015 models (revision year for engine) are both reliable and beau coup mileage?
The Outback?

I have a 2014 2.5i. It won't get 30MPG despite the claim. 28 is possible. 30 is not.

I don't suspect the 2015 to be much better despite the claims either.
murbot
Hoonigan

2015-05-06, 15:17

Yay, I'm driving big boy cars now.

It's a 2007 BMW 550i. It's got almost 124000km (77000 miles) but the previous (second) owner is a buddy and he's pretty meticulous about his cars. AT 400HP it's a little stronger than the Mazda 3 it's replacing - Dinan air intake, chip, exhaust, and it's lowered about an inch. Gets surprisingly good mileage when you play nice, but it's pretty hard to drive this car and shoot for fuel economy.

I paid less for this than I did for a 3 year old Mazda 3 a couple years ago! Came with 2 sets of tires and wheels. I'm not a BMW guy but I couldn't pass up the deal.

Wife wanted a family car with 4 doors and an automatic, so this is what she gets. I haven't told her it's got 400 HP, but she told me "jesus it feels like it's got a lot of power".
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2015-05-07, 14:21

Well that's certainly a step up from a Mazda 3! I'm not sure my license would survive driving that thing everyday.

It is kind of amazing how much some of these cars drop in value. Of course the down side is that the maintenance costs don't get any cheaper. I think a lot of people don't think about that when they buy these cars. They just get fixated on the price and then get blindsided down the road.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2015-05-07, 15:30

Been a while since this thread has been active. Nice ride murbot!

BF and I almooooost bought a Nissan Juke (I like the styling, fuck you) but this spring BMW had a crazy good lease promotion on their "sport activity vehicles," so we're leasing an X1. I've always liked the X1 a lot—it's dated in all the right ways, with its smaller size and hydraulic power steering. It looks a bit more grown-up than the Juke, so naturally I insisted on getting it in bright orange

So now we're rich douches. (I'm already getting used to saying "It's a lease!" to incredulous family. "It costs less than your Accord!") We take delivery this month.

It's crazy how the small SUV space has just exploded in the last few years. I see so many Buick Encores, and it seems like there's a new Jeep Renegade or Fiat 500X introduced every other week. The X1 rides lower than any of those—it's more of a wagon that's just pretending to be an SUV, which is fine by me The new X1 is going to be FWD (sacrilege!) so I'm glad we were able to get in on this one.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
murbot
Hoonigan

2015-05-07, 16:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by addison View Post
Of course the down side is that the maintenance costs don't get any cheaper. I think a lot of people don't think about that when they buy these cars. They just get fixated on the price and then get blindsided down the road.
Yes! I've already set up an automatic transfer of funds to an unused bank account for maintenance and tires. Not too much cheap about these cars. No more $25 oil changes with bulk oil for me. 9 quarts of synthetic for this bad boy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
So now we're rich douches. (I'm already getting used to saying "It's a lease!" to incredulous family. "It costs less than your Accord!") We take delivery this month.
Man, I'm already having to do this a LOT. People see the car and just think EXPENSIVE OMFG!!! I nicely explain that the F-150 in their driveway cost FOUR FUCKING TIMES what I paid for my car. I guess that's a perk though, even the older ones look pretty damn sweet.

(BTW, I kind of like the Juke too )
addabox
Veteran Member

2015-05-07, 17:39

You ever read the guy on Jalopnik that's always urging everyone to buy used luxury cars? The posts are always headlined with something like "You could own this lethally fast Mercedes for the price of a Hyundai" or the like.

His main thesis is that for cars that originally stickered north of 60 grand or so (often extremely north) depreciation is like a magic ticket to swanky land. So that if you know something about the car you're getting (and German cars in particular have some well-documented time bombs) you can pick one up with 50,000 miles on the clock for pennies on the dollar, budget to have the necessary prophylactic work done immediately, and still come out way ahead. The corollary to this thesis is that these cars are just built better than the average sub $30,000 family hauler (weird lapses excepted) so a well maintained $60,000+ car with 50k miles is a way better value proposition than aformentioned cheap car with 20k miles. Plus you get to ride around in a car with tons of amenities and great driving characteristics and just generally revel in the luxury of it all.

Of course the comments are full of "sure, the price of a Hyundai to buy, then the price of a Hyundai every year there after to maintain." But the dude is pretty adamant that if you do your research and budget for any big show stoppers (for instance, the years Audi put the timing chain behind the engine because it would last forever and under specced the tensioner, or some years of Mercedes' Airmatic suspension) you can do very well and drive the thing for a long time relatively trouble free. Probably helps to be or know a mechanic, but a decent independent garage that specializes in your car will do.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
addabox
Veteran Member

2015-05-07, 17:47

I will add that after my traumatic experience with my 2001 Jetta Wagon simply exploding into uselessness at around 90k miles, I just wasn't ready to face up to the Germans again and bought a Mazda CX-5. I would have preferred a wagon, but they're either very expensive, German, or both. The Mazda is fine, fun even, but it is manifestly a less polished car than the Jetta. More road noise, more stuff just sort of unattended to (for instance, the stops at the steering wheel limits just sort of thud, the interior light programing isn't as well thought out, etc) But I'm happy to trade the cosmetic fit and finish for what is purported to be a very reliable car with very low maintenance costs. That fucking Jetta cost me an arm and leg just to keep it driving after 60k miles, and it rewards me with unceremonious suicide. The VW group will have to prove it to me before I go there again. BMW? I could see picking up a used wagon (I seriously need the cargo space) after I'm done with the Mazda, if research indicates that I can get one that doesn't cost me another $5,000 the minute a fail to tell it a bedtime story.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2015-05-07, 22:31

Holy shit murboid, that's a pretty bad-ass vehicle. Congrats dude. I assume you have no intention of driving that thing around in Calgary winters (RWD right?). If you are, good luck with the snow traction.

murbot
Hoonigan

2015-05-08, 10:40

I'm going to give it a whirl. My buddy drove it in Calgary on winter tires and said it was pretty decent. It has excellent traction/stability control apparently and is manageable if you are any kind of a decent driver. So I won't let the wife near it in the winter, but I should be good.

It'll definitely be a step up from what I drove last winter - a 2WD Chev Silverado. It only has manual traction control (take foot off if spinning). I almost drove that bastard into a wall out of anger a few times last year.
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2015-05-08, 17:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post
You ever read the guy on Jalopnik that's always urging everyone to buy used luxury cars? The posts are always headlined with something like "You could own this lethally fast Mercedes for the price of a Hyundai" or the like.

His main thesis is that for cars that originally stickered north of 60 grand or so (often extremely north) depreciation is like a magic ticket to swanky land. So that if you know something about the car you're getting (and German cars in particular have some well-documented time bombs) you can pick one up with 50,000 miles on the clock for pennies on the dollar, budget to have the necessary prophylactic work done immediately, and still come out way ahead. The corollary to this thesis is that these cars are just built better than the average sub $30,000 family hauler (weird lapses excepted) so a well maintained $60,000+ car with 50k miles is a way better value proposition than aformentioned cheap car with 20k miles. Plus you get to ride around in a car with tons of amenities and great driving characteristics and just generally revel in the luxury of it all.

Of course the comments are full of "sure, the price of a Hyundai to buy, then the price of a Hyundai every year there after to maintain." But the dude is pretty adamant that if you do your research and budget for any big show stoppers (for instance, the years Audi put the timing chain behind the engine because it would last forever and under specced the tensioner, or some years of Mercedes' Airmatic suspension) you can do very well and drive the thing for a long time relatively trouble free. Probably helps to be or know a mechanic, but a decent independent garage that specializes in your car will do.
I would gladly settle for the cheap car with 20K miles but I'm at the point in my life where I don't really care that much about what I drive. "Cheap" cars are so much better than they were when I was growing up and can be super reliable with not a lot of maintenance. I cringe when I read someone saying you can pick up a V-12 7 Series for not much money. I think people shouldn't buy these cars unless they could've afforded them new. Unless you are very handy you'll still need a rich guys wallet to maintain a lot of these cars despite the fact that they now have a working mans price tag. It's easy to get a car to 60K miles without much maintenance. That's really a bunch of oil changes and maybe some brakes depending on the driver but after that the more expensive stuff can kick in and the unexpected stuff like the fancy high tech suspensions you mentioned or the need to remove the engine or the entire front of the car to do some thing like a timing belt or spark plugs.
addabox
Veteran Member

2015-05-08, 18:31

Yeah, that's kind of where I'm at. The Jalopnik crowd are sort of a special case in that it's considered poor form if you're not up to doing your own, for instance, suspension work or replacing head gaskets or swapping out electrical bits. Someone will point out that that high mileage Bentley (or whatever) has a distressing habit of leaking oil around a sensor in such a way that it eventually kills another, more vital part, and the response is that the part is available on Ebay for a few bucks and what kind of lazy fuck can't loosen a nut?

But I don't want another car that's a job. I enjoy spirited driving, I like fast cars, manual transmissions and taut suspensions. But I also need some practicality, can't afford and don't have room for a daily driver plus the fun car, and need a vehicle that will start every time and get me where I'm going without undue drama. I gather that among car enthusiasts that makes me a dreary appliance lover, the sort of person that just doesn't get it. There are folks that really enjoy tackling a finicky, failure prone car that delivers a thrill ride when it occasionally is working, but at this point in my life I have better things to do.

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2015-05-08, 19:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot View Post
I'm going to give it a whirl. My buddy drove it in Calgary on winter tires and said it was pretty decent. It has excellent traction/stability control apparently and is manageable if you are any kind of a decent driver. So I won't let the wife near it in the winter, but I should be good.
Haha. Well good luck -- you're braver than I am. I'm used to AWD in winters and even that can be sketchy in some conditions if you're not careful. An uber-HP Beamer in the snow... I'd have to practice on an empty road for a while first.

addison
Formerly “AWM”

2015-08-22, 11:45

Looks like the 2016 Prius has been outed. Not too sure about this design but I'll wait till better pics come out. Looks like they gave it the grille treatment they've been doing throughout their line. Either way I'm sure it will sell.

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2015-08-24, 01:05

And now to completely bring the testosterone to a screeching halt...

Wife's mini-van (2003 Chrysler Town and Country) has ticked us off one time to many, and it's time to send it to the farm. (It started randomly not starting. Several visits to the shop, and four tows from AAA later, it's still not working correctly. Shop can't figure it out, it simply will not *BREAK* so that we can get it fixed. Of course, what it *did* do at the shop is blow out the radiator like a puppy losing bladder control. :P)

We're looking at a mini-van or small SUV. We have two large teenaged boys, and their friends, that get hauled around regularly. (Not to mention that my artist wife has a habit of picking up stray objects to bring home for projects. Doors, cabinets, you name it.)

AWD is highly preferred, since my 19 year old Jeep is getting long in the tooth, and we'd like at least one snow and ice capable vehicle running. We're not particularly interested in new, we're kind of the buy-and-run-forever type of folks, and besides, we can't afford a new one at the moment.

We looked at and nixed the Honda Element and Subaru lines (too few seats), and are settling in on the Ford Flex, the Honda Pilot, and, if push comes to shove, the Toyota Sienna. (She really doesn't want to continue being the mini-van mom. If it weren't for continued kid hauling for the next few years, she'd be looking at a BMW Z4.) Tried the Flex today, and she really liked it.

So, we're looking for a 2008-2013 of the above models, to keep for about six years before selling it to get the kid-free next-stage vehicles.

Thoughts?
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2015-08-24, 10:21

I have to say I hardly ever see a Flex on the road. They are pretty rare around here. It's definitely more distinctive than the Pilot for sure. I just looked around and see only one used one in my area. It's a '12 and they are asking $28,500 which seems insane to me. For less money you could probably buy a new seven seat minivan version of the Transit Connect.
Eugene
careful with axes

2015-08-25, 05:30

The Flex is very roomy and still drives like a car. The styling is love/hate...I don't mind the way it looks, but that's also because I don't own one.

I really like the Transit Connect as s no-frills option as well.
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2015-08-25, 08:07

Now that there is a fancier version of the Connect available I've been seeing more families using them.
Quagmire
meh

2017-06-07, 12:43

So I still have been lurking here( yes I am still alive kscherer), but obviously not posting. So here is a bit of an update.... Out with the Saturn and in with a 455 HP V8.

http://i.imgur.com/YlI1frY.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/N0xHvWX.jpg

Was a good 10 years and 50,000 miles with the Saturn. Served me well for my first car. Sold it to a family member whose daughter will be driving it as her first car. Picked up the Camaro in March( ordered back in January). What a complete blast to drive. The power from the V8, the amazing handling provided by the world class Alpha platform, and the sound of the V8. Still puts a big kid smile on my face and I can't just name one favorite thing about it. It's the complete package for me.

giggity
Eugene
careful with axes

2017-06-07, 16:01

My lease is up and I'm getting a 2018 XC60 to deliver orange slices, Kudos bars and Capri Suns to AYSO games.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2017-06-07, 20:19

The new XCs are lovely.
Eugene
careful with axes

2017-06-07, 20:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
The new XCs are lovely.
Indeed, but I honestly would have preferred a SPA based V60.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2019-08-25, 17:44

Have y’all seen the interior of the Taycan? That’s…a lot of screens! I’m intrigued by the built-in Apple Music streaming, though. I hope that makes it into more vehicles.

It’s such an exciting time in the car world. After years of treating electric cars as a niche “experiment” Audi and Mercedes and the like are all coming out with their real Tesla fighters. Meanwhile, Tesla is getting ready to launch what will surely be their most popular model, the Model Y.

We love our 500e and honestly I can’t wait to be able to be a two-EV household. Part of me wishes we got an i3 when it was time to end our last lease. Two record-breaking summers later, I feel increasingly guilty whenever I drive the X2. But we were trying to buy a house, and we didn’t want our payments to go up, and they had a good lease offer on the X2, and we didn’t know how long our commutes would end up being…but these all kind of feel like excuses, don’t they?

We’re not going to be able to afford a Taycan any time soon, but I’m very interested in both the Model Y and the iX3. It seems like the iX3 is going to be cheaper than the e-tron and EQC? At least, I hope it is.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2019-08-25, 18:14

I'm not on the electric bandwagon just yet. When my wife's car dies, we'll probably get one but I'm a fan of my manual transmission Golf R. I love to drive and I worry that an electric would take the fun out of it for me.

My son has long had a hankering for a Tesla but I'm not convinced that they'll survive Musk's craziness.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2019-08-25, 18:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
I'm not on the electric bandwagon just yet. When my wife's car dies, we'll probably get one but I'm a fan of my manual transmission Golf R. I love to drive and I worry that an electric would take the fun out of it for me.
Electric cars are fun in their own way. Everything feels so immediate. Especially if you get a performance EV, they just take off, and they just keep on going, with no lag. They feel stupid fast, it’s wild. Our 500e isn’t a performance vehicle at all but it puts a smile on my face because it’s so small and zippy. It feels faster than it is, if that makes sense?

I’d encourage you to test drive a performance EV. They’re just stupid fun, even without rowing your own gears. I’ve done Ludicrous Mode launches in my friend’s Tesla and I always end up giggling, it just never gets old. I never thought in a million years I would ever want an electric motorcycle, and now I kind of…do? Or at least, I’m way more open to it. (I plan on keeping my 796 forever, though.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
My son has long had a hankering for a Tesla but I'm not convinced that they'll survive Musk's craziness.
Yeah, I’d have reservations about buying a Tesla. I’ve heard horror stories of owners having trouble getting service or repairs. We have a good relationship with our BMW dealer so I’d feel a lot safer going with an iX3 or a Mini. Some people are skeptical about the iX3 being built in China but honestly I think it’s going to be fine. China is really good at assembling things.

addabox
Veteran Member

2019-08-25, 22:44

Have ya'll seen the VW "we got electric religion" spot? It's.... I'm not sure? The "mea culpa" part is obviously corporate spin control but I admit to getting a bit of a chill when the electro-van shows up. All in all I think it's pretty well done, and is I think the first official public facing declaration that going forward, VW is pretty much going to be an electric car company. What happens when a manufacturer of Volkswagen's size goes all in? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEvNL6oEr0U

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2019-08-25, 22:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post
Have ya'll seen the VW "we got electric religion" spot? It's.... I'm not sure? The "mea culpa" part is obviously corporate spin control but I admit to getting a bit of a chill when the electro-van shows up. All in all I think it's pretty well done, and is I think the first official public facing declration that going forward, VW is pretty much going to be an electric car company. What happens when a manufacturer of Volkswagen's size goes all in? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEvNL6oEr0U
They really are going all in:

source

The only problem I have with that ad is that the e-Microbus thing is still a concept. It's one they're planning on putting a version of into production, but not for another two years, so it's a little weird to be using it in an ad now. They've had, like, three different New Microbus concepts, and every time people fall in love with it (because of course they do) and every time VW hems and haws about putting it into production, it's ridiculous. That thing should be on streets yesterday.

But at least they're finally doing it.

I think they're missing a pretty huge opportunity by not making an e-Beetle to go with the e-Microbus thing. I get why they want ID.3 to be something that looks to the future and not to the past, but I don't think ID.3 is going to become an "Iconic Design" the same way the Beetle or even the Golf has. I just doesn't think it's going to look distinctive enough.