User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

quicktime: "couldnt open the file.."

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
quicktime: "couldnt open the file.."
newMACer

2005-03-05, 00:21

I am new to Mac (three weeks since I got my PowerBook..the usual story..long time Windows user --> got an iPod --> a few months later, switched to Mac) and I am loving it. I am facing one problem though, wondering if someone else has encountered this. When I try to play a movie trailor on Apple's quicktime site in Safari, I see the revolving disc for around a minute or so and then nothing..During the time that the disc is revolving, the Activity Monitor shows Safari hogging 90% of cpu and shows it to be hung in red. I tried to play it using iTunes, but same thing..hang for a minute or so and then nothing. I also copied the movie URL from html source and pasted it directly in Open URL dialog in QuickTime. Again the same thing..hang for a minute and then it shows an error message "Couldnt open the file because this movie cannot be completely downloaded." This is beginning to frustrate me. I could understand if some URL from some third party site was not working, but come on, I am using Apple software on Apple hardware to play a movie from Apple site and it doesnt work!!

I searched the error message on the Discussions board on the Apple site. One person faced the exact same problem, but doesnt appear he got it solved. Any insights from someone here?
newMACer

2005-03-14, 17:06

I was with Apple telephone support this weekend regarding this issue. After an hour of trying various things, the guy finally asked me to Reset Safari and then it started working (I was able to play .mov files in Safari, iTunes and QuickTime directly). After that I just used my machine for a day and then I tried playing a trailor again from the Apple site and guess what? again the same error! Anyone got any ideas what might be causing this? cookies, caching?

What intrigues me most is that movies (in .mov format) from other sites play well.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-03-14, 17:24

no idea. i've never seen that one before.

anyone else?
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-03-14, 17:47

I'd probably repair permissions and the usual basic troubleshooting in the GB Sticky, then download QuickTime installer from support.apple.com and reinstall. If that doesn't work, an Archive and Install (note this does not require erasing your hard drive) would come next.
newMACer

2005-03-15, 13:22

I will try the troubleshooting and QuickTime reinstallation this weekend, though I think its not a QuickTime issue because resetting Safari solves the issue. Actually I am confused as to what it is, given that movies from some other sites play. However, I wouldnt go as far as erasing the hard drive..would rather watch the trailors on my old Vaio or TV

Another thing which might give a hint to some experts here: When the movies do not play, they do not work in Safari, iTunes, QuickTime and Camino (all of which share some settings?). IE, on the other hand plays it fine (because it has its own settings?). I am not sure about the settings part as I am new to Mac.
thuh Freak
Finally broke the seal

2005-03-15, 14:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by newMACer
I will try the troubleshooting and QuickTime reinstallation this weekend, though I think its not a QuickTime issue because resetting Safari solves the issue. Actually I am confused as to what it is, given that movies from some other sites play. However, I wouldnt go as far as erasing the hard drive..would rather watch the trailors on my old Vaio or TV
just to re-iterate what FFL said, archive+install does NOT require erasing your hard drive. its a relatively benign (although sometimes time-consuming) procedure.
Quote:
Another thing which might give a hint to some experts here: When the movies do not play, they do not work in Safari, iTunes, QuickTime and Camino (all of which share some settings?). IE, on the other hand plays it fine (because it has its own settings?). I am not sure about the settings part as I am new to Mac.
that actually makes it a bit more confusing; well maybe not. it would make sense if everything had the problem all at the same time. because QuickTime is a universal thing that permeates many applications. maybe IE has a different version of the QT plugin than the other apps. that might explain that little discrepency.