User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Powerbook won't shut down

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Powerbook won't shut down
stereo144

2005-03-14, 18:21

For a couple of days, I haven't been able to shut down my powerbook normally. I have had to force it to shut down by holding down the power button for 4 seconds. Neither pressing the power button or shutting down from the menu will work. I called Apple support and they walked me through some tests and stuff but nothing worked. I do have a stick of 512mb Crucial ram installed and they asked me to remove it, but I don't have my screwdriver set with me since I am out of town. I don't really think that is the problem but I'm not sure. I have already tried repairing permissions, creating a new account, and reseting the computer. If anyone has any other ideas, I would appreciate it. Thanks.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-03-14, 18:43

One question: why are you shutting down so often? Just sleep your computer.

That said, do you have iDisk syncing on? Maybe that's keeping the computer from finishing the log out process.

Have you tried fsck'ing the disk? Zapping the PRAM? I doubt it's a ram problem, so I wouldn't go there just yet.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-03-14, 19:33

Zap the PRAM, and reset the Open Firmware as well. See the Genius Bar Sticky for details.
stereo144

2005-03-14, 22:47

Thanks for your replies. I tried everything and nothing worked. A little more info... I am not able to shut down, log out, or restart. However, I am able to sleep it. When I press the power button, the box that used to come up doesn't anymore. I don't have an .Mac account, so I guess the iDisk thing isn't the problem.

Also, I take my powerbook with me in my backpack pretty much everywhere. Is it ok to just put it to sleep even I won't be using it for a few hours? I'm guessing it is, I just wanted to make sure there weren't any problems with that. Thanks.

Update: I found the problem. I had installed the new version of Onyx and had it display a message on the login screen. After I disabled that, everything worked fine . Thanks for all your help.

Last edited by stereo144 : 2005-03-14 at 23:02.
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2005-03-14, 23:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereo144
Also, I take my powerbook with me in my backpack pretty much everywhere. Is it ok to just put it to sleep even I won't be using it for a few hours? I'm guessing it is, I just wanted to make sure there weren't any problems with that.[/b]
No drama it should be fine. I believe the HD heads are locked when it sleeps no so issues there.

Personally I cycle with my laptop strapped to my back. Have been doing this for years with no adverse effects (other than running over a pedestrian - stupid bitch )

I also like the fact that sleep works. You open it up and viola, you are good to go.

And good to hear you sorted out your problem.

Angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2005-03-15, 00:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega
No drama it should be fine. I believe the HD heads are locked when it sleeps no so issues there.

Personally I cycle with my laptop strapped to my back. Have been doing this for years with no adverse effects (other than running over a pedestrian - stupid bitch )

I also like the fact that sleep works. You open it up and viola, you are good to go.

And good to hear you sorted out your problem.

I'll second that ... my PB's been through a lot while asleep, including going through a ton of metal detectors. He always turns out alright, though. The chance that you will wake up your computer and have it not work is negligible, and usually only happens in rare circumstances, such as having external drives detached during sleep. It's pretty fun having PC users be amazed at the fast wake time, while I'm totally used to it.