User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

I Cant get on the internet!?!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
I Cant get on the internet!?!
zman2005

2005-03-14, 16:57

Hey all, I just got my new ibook today and i love it, but i can't get onto the internet. To make a long story short i have a network w/me my pc and a oldlabtop and i want to tap into that network. The ibook says that airport express is connected with a strong signal strength but when i hit safari it says cant load web page. Ive gotten my IP adress and all that other crap from my main PC and typed it into my Ibook and all but nothing happens....ahhhh why is this becoming difficult, any ideas? Who should i call road runner or SMC my router company or APPLE?
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-03-14, 17:00

the two devices can't have the same IP address.

what's your PC's IP address? Also list out your gateway, subnet and DNS entries.

odds are you should just change your iBook to DHCP and it will be fine though.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
zman2005

2005-03-14, 17:08

this is the information my PC gave me ip adress 192.168.2.6
subnet 255.255.255.0
default gateway 192.168.2.1

thats all there is nothing else. AHHH the ibook says signal strength is full but it wont let me connect to the internet. I"ve tried following the manual it doesn't work and im very impatient person. I also have apple care but have no idea where that number is to call them its not listed anywhere. thanks for the help
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-03-14, 17:12

Try changing the 4th number in the IP, like 192.168.2.10.

AppleCare's # is 1-800-275-2273, as listed in the Contact Us page on Apple's site.

Patience is a virtue.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2005-03-14, 17:23

yeah, switch the iBook to either be DHCP (preferred option) or manually set it with a different IP address than the PC. (just the last three numbers though. so .9 instead of .6)

also, how is your PC physically connected to the net, and what's your wireless base station connected to?

Google is your frenemy.
zman2005

2005-03-14, 19:45

my PC set up as follow: my cable modem is connect to an SMC router from there my router has a cable going to the PC and it use to send a signal to an old laptop but i dont use that anymore. that is how it is set up
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-03-14, 19:53

Use the old laptop's IP address.

I presume that the SMC router *is* the WiFi base station?
zman2005

2005-03-14, 20:07

the old laptop cant be turned on how else do i get the oldlaptops info. ahhh
zman2005

2005-03-14, 20:07

the old laptop cant be turned on how else do i get the oldlaptops info. ahhh
zman2005

2005-03-14, 20:42

Okay, guess where I am typing from? My IBOOK YES BUT this thread isn't over yet b.c i spent about 20 mins with the APPLE CARE ppl and the only way i could get on the interenet was if i connected a ethernet cord to my router so i am NOT wireless. Then the apple care guy said thats all he could do, he was basically saying he tried good luck see what you can do. So i turn to you all. What em i to do the ibook pics up the signal but it istn' getting a VALID IP adress from what i understood the guy was saying. How can we get this to work, my first mac and already somethings not right. ALso the internet seems slow, i installed a applecare protection and i got some error saying it wasn't installed correctly and some program just quit on me and it said should i report the problem to apple.? Oh well maybe i just expected to much?
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2005-03-14, 20:47

no, getting on the 'net is usually a 5 minute deal. ok, first and foremost we need some more info.

first, what kind of wireless router are you using? how is the wireless router connected to the internet? third, have you tried setting your iBook to use DHCP? if so, what did you end up with for settings?

we'll need to know the settings on your wireless router if possible, and if your iBook can connect wirelessly if it's the only device that' using the wireless router.

Google is your frenemy.
zman2005

2005-03-14, 21:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes
no, getting on the 'net is usually a 5 minute deal. ok, first and foremost we need some more info.

first, what kind of wireless router are you using? how is the wireless router connected to the internet? third, have you tried setting your iBook to use DHCP? if so, what did you end up with for settings?

we'll need to know the settings on your wireless router if possible, and if your iBook can connect wirelessly if it's the only device that' using the wireless router.
I am using a SMC wireless router. My cable modem has an ethernet cord that is attatched to the router. The router then has an ethernet cord attatched to thecomputer. I think we used DHCP when i was on the phone with the apple guy, however i never had to enter and IP adresses or anything like that. We just turned a few things on and off and tried to set up the wireless account, excedpt he said theibook wasn't getting the right IP adress. The old laptob use to connect wirelessly to the network but it is off and hasn't been turned on in a while. So nothing else but my ibook is trying to get to the server. On my pc is where if ound the IP adress and information. But the apple guy basically said sorry, I am not sure why, we did'nt even spend that much time workin on my problem? Let me know how ican help more I am dying to get this all set up however I am not the smartest computer kid as many of you have witnessed lol. Thanks all
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2005-03-14, 21:23

have you moved the cables to different ports since you had the laptop and desktop connected at the same time?

you should be able to set your iBook to DHCP and have it configure itself properly.

Google is your frenemy.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2005-03-14, 21:24

you might want to just try doing a hard reset on the router, see if that fixes up the wireless part of things. i've seen that happen a few times.

Google is your frenemy.
zman2005

2005-03-14, 21:28

when you say switch the ethernet cords u mean just plug them into different slots on the router. and how do you do a hard reset vs. turning it off and on. the problem is just getting the IP adress thats whats holdin us down, the ibook is picking up the signal
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2005-03-14, 21:30

yeah, sounds like the router isn't distributing the addresses through DHCP properly.

there are two things that could cause this that come to mind. if the computer were plugged into the port next to the wireless WAN port, it may disable it. some routers do this, i'm not sure about your particular router.

the more likely problem is that the router just needs a reset. should be a recessed button on the router somewhere. hold the buttin in for about 5 seconds and it should be reset.

Google is your frenemy.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-03-14, 21:41

Better yet, what model of router is it?
zman2005

2005-03-14, 21:46

the model is: SMC 700 4awbr Barricade

So i should turn off everything including the ibook and do a hard rest then start everything back up. Will i have to configure my ibook at all
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-03-14, 21:57

Did you by any chance turn on the security settings of the router? My router disallows anybody to get online unless I've given it their MAC address. (MAC != Mac. MAC = Media Access Card, ie, the Ethernet or Wireless card. Each one has its own address hardwired in.) Yours may have that on by default. In such cases, you'll see a signal, but it won't let you on.

You'll have to consult your SMC manual for how to set that up.
zman2005

2005-03-14, 22:02

great the odds of me finding that 2 year old document are slim to none but i will try. That sounds right i mean the labtop has a SMC card in it so maybe it only lets in ppl withthe card likeyour saying. Plus it is getting signal like your saying but it is not lettin me acess the interenet or what not. I will look intgo the SMC thing tomorrow cause I am tryin to burn a DVD for the first time. TGhanks foryou help I iwll keep you all posted cuase i have to have this wireless ihnternet up and if it doenst work im sure youall will know thanks all this has been thebiggest help with buyin fixing intsalling and hwo to.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2005-03-14, 22:05

look on the net for a manual. usually you can download them.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-03-14, 22:18

Here ya go.

You'll find the part # on the bottom of the unit. It'll be a 750. followed by one of: 5312, 5435, 8063, 9819. Enter it, hit Go. Voila.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-03-14, 22:33

Not to make light of this situation but:

I Cant get off the internet!?!
zman2005

2005-03-14, 22:51

hey thanks for the linked but when i clicked on it it would nto open it, it said safari couldnt. i will look for what you found thanks