User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC: AppleNova is now running Feed the Beast's Direwolf20 Modpack!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: AppleNova is now running Feed the Beast's Direwolf20 Modpack!
Page 13 of 14 First Previous 9 10 11 12 [13] 14  Next Thread Tools
SpecMode
Wait what

2013-07-03, 17:22

One of these days, we should have some kind of voice chat set up for these adventure parties. Typing is all well and good, but it can get a bit hectic (particularly during zombie horde assaults at night).
¡Damned!

2013-07-03, 17:50

Woooo! I miss taunting a horde of creepers and then running straight past Drew so he can deal with them. New Worlds FTW!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-07-03, 17:58

I will try to be on to play at 9pm but at a minimum I will ensure the route's ports are switched at 9pm. Brad, just have that VM ready and I'll swap ports. I have a bunch of stuff going on tonight but it's here at the house. I do plan to join the party, but don't hold up for me!

For all the users, be sure you have the new launcher ready at 9PM. Connect to the same mc.applenova.com you have always done without using any port changes. The Vanilla world will be default port at 9pm.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2013-07-03, 18:04

Ah, a touch too early for me, but I'll try and get on once my kid goes to bed - around 8pm Pacific. Doubtless everyone will be in full diamond armour and tools by then so you can keep me safe from the creepers. Save me a horse!
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-07-03, 18:06

Spec can you set up a chat room in Skype?

Dellphi knew of a chat app that people use... can't remember what that was though

SpecMode
Wait what

2013-07-03, 19:20

I've set up a Ventrilo server on my machine; if anyone wants to help me test it, send me a PM.
¡Damned!

2013-07-03, 19:37

There is no way in hell am I going to start microphoning my shit in. It's fine if y'all are, but that's just a little too much for me, personally. I prefer the chance aspect of it if I'm even watching the text come up. If I miss "Watch out Grey!" and have to flail around wildly or get blowed up, it's on me.

Plus, my voice is super sexy. I fear it would lull you all into a dream state that I couldn't virtually shake you out of.

So it goes.
SpecMode
Wait what

2013-07-03, 19:41

Eh, was just a thought. I'm perfectly fine playing without it; just thought it might add a bit of amusement for those so inclined.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2013-07-03, 19:45

Yeah, voice chat w/games is a step too far into the dorkosphere for me. My wife would never let me hear the end of it. I kind of like the text stuff, to be honest.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-07-03, 19:49

Hey, I'll try it maybe.

I'M not afraid to be a dork.

¡Damned!

2013-07-03, 19:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecMode View Post
Eh, was just a thought. I'm perfectly fine playing without it; just thought it might add a bit of amusement for those so inclined.
Oh, for sure. Drew and Dellphi were always doing it and it seemed like it worked well. I'm just not that LoL, SC or WoW type guy, and while I think it might be a lot of fun if everyone was hooked up, I also like to shut off for a bit in MC and concentrate on the mining (at least in the early days of a world). By all means go for it if it means extra fun.

So it goes.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-07-03, 19:57

JUST LOOK at what you did Grey.

You skeered Spec off of the thing entirely.
Not because he was having problems configuring it.
Not THAT at all. Nope, it was YOU. I'm sure of it.

Now I'll just have to talk to the cat.

And she HATES Minecraft.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-07-03, 19:59

As expected, I'm late to getting started with setting up the server. Sorry! I'm working on it now, though. Let's aim to be online at... 9:20? I'll post back here when it's ready.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-07-03, 20:03

Ok, I'm shutting the FTB port at 9PM. I'll wait to hear from Brad before opening the vanilla port.
¡Damned!

2013-07-03, 20:07

*taps microphone* Drew? Drew are you there? ...

Spec?

Anyone?

¡Damned!

2013-07-03, 20:12

It wouldn't be in the tradition of a New World if we didn't have to wait.

Time to crack another bottle of wine!

Don't forget the whitelisting Brad!

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-07-03, 20:14

Everyone is on twitter.
SpecMode
Wait what

2013-07-03, 20:15

Server looks like it's up, but I'm assuming Brad is still working on the whitelist since I'm not on it yet.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-07-03, 20:15

Yeah Grey, what's your Twitter handle again? Come join us
¡Damned!

2013-07-03, 20:16

Jack better get his ass in here to stake out Hogwarts.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-07-03, 20:16

BTW, I picked a different randomish seed (taking no more than 30 seconds to open it and look around) because the first seed I was using ended up putting us on a medium-sized island surrounded by vast oceans.

And yes, working on it! Almost there!

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2013-07-03, 20:20

Did you use a dirty word for the seed?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-07-03, 20:29

Oh yeah... we're online now!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2013-07-04, 02:21

Well... this isn't a good sign. I was kicked when the 2:50 AM backup started (probably a good signal for me to go to bed), but that seemed odd and I tried to reconnect. It seems the JVM crashed hard when trying to save for some reason unknown to me.

Worse: it took significant parts of the world with it!

When the server restarted and connected, I found myself trapped underground suffocating in dirt. Apparently the player files survived even though chunks were toasted. So, be aware that you may get stuck in the same situation and die once the next time you connect.

Most of the area around spawn was regenerated, but it looks like some more distant areas survived (the area around Drew's desert shelter, maybe others).

I reran the exact same backup command manually, and it seemed to work just fine. The server didn't crash, and the backup saved correctly.

*shrug* Maybe we should run the backups more frequently to protect us from potentially catastrophic crashes? I'll take a look at that tomorrow. I guess this is the risk we run for using a bleeding-edge server version.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-07-04, 14:32

So for anyone interested in playing FTB still it is running on Junior but using the alternate port, 25566. So update the IP/hostname entry to include :25566 and you'll be able to connect and play!

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-03-28, 20:08

With a request from a player I have started the FTB server again. I wasn't able to connect due to local client issues, but you guys might have better luck or more patience then I have to mess with it right now. I'll leave the server running for a while. Not sure how awesome it is though. It was just stopped when the traffic stopped to it. So it should be good.

¡Damned!

2014-03-28, 21:32

That was my request, btw. I was looking to get some screen shots.

I haven't tried to get in yet, but probably will in the next couple of days. As I remember, FTB was a pain to get to launch.

So it goes.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2014-03-28, 21:37

I got it to work. Taking a run through now.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-03-28, 22:37

Egads. I must try this too! I guess I'll see if it's still up when I try to connect tomorrow.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2014-03-28, 22:53

What version is it running? Still on 1.4.7? Or is it up to 1.5.2? Trying to remember. I'm used to 1.6.4 for FTB, lol.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards