AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Post your desktop

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Post your desktop
Page 4 of 73 Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8  Next Last Thread Tools
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-07-25, 15:30

For a while I used Grab anyway because command-shift-3 would add this weird gray artifact to the bottom of the image. They fixed that in 10.3.4.

Grab also has the option to output in different formats other than PDF, right? Although it generally takes just as long to open Grab and take a JPG as it does to do the short keystroke to take a picture, then export to JPG.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2004-07-25, 22:57

BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2004-07-26, 10:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by propellerhead
I don't really know if I should ditch the desktops and go completely portable. I guess portability would help in college.
Oh, absolutely -- with all the moving around, it's really nice to drop your whole computer setup into a messenger bag or backpack (plus printer, if you don't print at the computer labs or Kinko's like I did). It won't take up half of a car's trunk, either.

And hi, I'm new here.
dfj225

2004-07-26, 11:02

onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

Send a message via AIM to onlyafterdark  
2004-07-26, 21:25

Wow that is a sick background dfj225. Could you post the original if its not too much trouble?
PXLpainter

2004-07-26, 21:36

Wow - some really cool backgrounds some of you are using (or better yet, creating!). I'm not at home near my desktop machine right now, but will post one when I get home L8R 2nite.

Life is hard... wear a cup.
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2004-07-26, 23:39

Here is my new desktop. . . linkypoo. . .

PS. Don't wanna hear any lip about how it looks. . . (I'm not trying to make it look like Aqua, I swear!) That includes you DMB, yah, I see you giving me that cut-eye. . .

no sig, how's that for being a rebel!

Last edited by Wickers : 2004-07-26 at 23:45.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-07-26, 23:56

Who? Me???

I like it, but what's wrong with your OS dude? It's funny looking!

It almost does have an early OS X feel to it with the pinstripes and all, but the similarities don't reach far beyond that.

Come waste your time with me
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2004-07-27, 00:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026
It almost does have an early OS X feel to it with the pinstripes and all, but the similarities don't reach far beyond that.
Really? Good.
I just played around till I got something that I liked . . . it just happened to remind me of Aqua. (which is scary, because I really don't like it when people mod Linux/Windows/anything to look like OSX)

Thanks for your input.

no sig, how's that for being a rebel!
PXLpainter

2004-07-27, 00:17

Okay - I have to admit, I have a series of commercial screens that I rotate to suit my mood right now (easy to do on the fly, thanks to Konfabulator)

Link: http://pixelpainter.com/screen_7-26.jpg

And yes, I legally own ALL those apps!

dfj225

2004-07-27, 08:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyafterdark
Wow that is a sick background dfj225. Could you post the original if its not too much trouble?
Thanks, I believe I found this desktop on Spymac. They have some pretty cool ones there, but they are a little hard to search through. Anyway, here is a link to the original: here .

Enjoy
MacUsers

2004-07-27, 09:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by PXLpainter

Showoff!
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-07-27, 10:38

Quote:
Okay - I have to admit, I have a series of commercial screens that I rotate to suit my mood right now (easy to do on the fly, thanks to Konfabulator)

Yes, but you have the worlds most annoying dock style. Tiny icons with 100% magnification. Makes me want to puke...and I mean that in the nicest way
dfj225

2004-07-27, 14:03

Quote:

I must say, that is quite an impressive collection of apps. However, I think I would die if my dock were that crowded. Doesn't it annoy you to have it like that? For me, I only put the apps that I use regularly in my dock. Otherwise I just make a trip to the apps folder.
MacUsers

2004-07-27, 14:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfj225
I must say, that is quite an impressive collection of apps. However, I think I would die if my dock were that crowded. Doesn't it annoy you to have it like that? For me, I only put the apps that I use regularly in my dock. Otherwise I just make a trip to the apps folder.
yep.. 9 icons for me
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-07-27, 14:52

I've got 19, but they are small with no magnification. They are the 19 that I'm using all the time. Having every app in there that I own...no thanks.

Come waste your time with me
murbot
Hoonigan

2004-07-27, 15:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by InactionMan
*killer Aldo background*[/img]

Dude, you rock. Hook a brother up, will ya?

DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-07-27, 15:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot
Dude, you rock. Hook a brother up, will ya?

It's in the suggestions thread. Right, about, here halfway down the page or so. Another fine work by our good friend pscates2.0.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2004-07-27, 18:08

Yeah, props to pscates for some excellent work. When you tile it, it kind of looks like one of those Warhol portraits.
psgamer0921

2004-07-27, 19:10

Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2004-07-27, 19:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by psgamer0921
The fuck is that? Gawwed!, it's a dock in windows. . . pfft.. .
murbot
Hoonigan

2004-07-27, 20:03

Missed that other post.. thanks, man. Best desktop ever.

You rule, pscates.
psgamer0921

2004-07-27, 20:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by \/\/ickes
The fuck is that? Gawwed!, it's a dock in windows. . . pfft.. .
The dock or the yellow man?
PXLpainter

2004-07-27, 20:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026
Yes, but you have the worlds most annoying dock style. Tiny icons with 100% magnification. Makes me want to puke...and I mean that in the nicest way
Oh well - different streaks for different freaks, eh?

Everyone has their own dock prefs (which is why it's an editable feature, right?) - and it's more like about 65% magnification - otherwise I couldn't tell exactly which app I'm selecting! Oh - and if you cram a ton of apps into the dock - it forces them to be all on one line - which makes them that tiny. Besides, I have mine set as a pop-up - not permanent. I'm looking forward to the day when we can have 2-3 docks, or stackable docks, or piles or anything else we've been taunted with over the years and can't have yet!

I like having all the apps I use regularly right at hand and not have to fish around in a folder for them - ack! Besides, I use them all - all the time and there is a method to my madness in organizing them along the dock in small groups (another nice thing to have would be movable divider bars along the dock, wouldn't it?). I just do a lot of different kinds of work - imaging, multimedia, sound, video, VR, painting, writing, animation, etc... not just one or two apps will even come close to meeting my needs!

Ryan
Veteran Member

2004-07-28, 10:39

You could set up folders with aliases to the applications, and put those folders in the dock.

You could have aliases to all your animations apps in a folder called "Animation". Put the folder in the dock, and then right-click, or ctrl-click, on the folder when you need one of the applications. It gives you a nice little menu of everything in the folder.
ShiggyMiyamoto

Send a message via AIM to ShiggyMiyamoto Send a message via MSN to ShiggyMiyamoto  
2004-07-28, 13:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by psgamer0921
Whoa... Is that Mac OS X? or some flavor of Linux running KDE as the windowing environment?
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2004-07-28, 14:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiggyMiyamoto
Whoa... Is that Mac OS X? or some flavor of Linux running KDE as the windowing environment?
It is Windows.

Just themed.

Look at my post above.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-07-28, 14:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by \/\/ickes
It is Windows.

Just themed.
Yeah, without a doubt. The awful text aliasing, Internet Explorer icons all over the place, super dark shadows on the desktop, the classic Windows network connection icon in the system tray, and the XP "hide all the crap that gets thrown in the system tray" chevron -- so many tell-tale Windows signs.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
MacUsers

2004-07-28, 15:10

Don't forget all those .exe files above those ugly drop shadows.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2004-07-30, 17:55

Mmmmm....Rustic.