AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Does Mac OsX Help Suck?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Does Mac OsX Help Suck?
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-12-11, 22:13

So I can't actually search for topics in the Mac help... I was wondering if this is a common problem or am I experiencing a freak occurance?...

OS X 10.4.3
Enki

2005-12-11, 22:17

Freak occurrence. Help search works for me.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2005-12-11, 22:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky
So I can't actually search for topics in the Mac help... I was wondering if this is a common problem or am I experiencing a freak occurance?...

OS X 10.4.3
It's happend to me a few times with OS X. The next update has normally fixed it. Typically what I would get is an empty Help window with no info, and no response to searching...

I seem to remember it happened after I had installed a piece of software that was not 'up to date' for the particular version of OS X I was on, and had help integration. I guess it breaks something...

I am guessing you have already tried to Repair Permission etc. ?

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-12-11, 22:29

I experienced similar suckitude with Help just yesterday. Clicking on a result from any search kept taking me back to the main page instead of to the actual answer. Let's see if it still does that... nope. It seems to have magically cured itself.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
billybobsky
BANNED

2005-12-11, 23:35

Hmm...

Edit: repairing permissions didn't change anything... damn buggy help...

Last edited by billybobsky : 2005-12-11 at 23:46.
v.noir

2005-12-12, 00:45

I've had that kind of thing happen with Help (in most programs that use Mac OS's built-in help viewer) ever since 10.3.6 (or whatever I got with my PowerBook a year or so ago). Help Viewer SUCKS. I did a fresh format & install of Tiger when I got it too, and help still sucks.

...and all the wolves were found upside-down in a box!
AWR
Veteran Member

2005-12-12, 08:41

I had problems like yours and those listed above. Reinstall cured my Help, but seems pretty drastic. Just curious, what type of connection to the internet do you use (and if it is wireless, what's the signal strength?).
billybobsky
BANNED

2005-12-12, 12:13

Wireless/DSL... full signal strength...

But I believe the help is localized on the harddrive...
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2005-12-12, 12:21

Most of it is indeed.
rollercoaster375

Send a message via AIM to rollercoaster375 Send a message via MSN to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Yahoo to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Skype™ to rollercoaster375 
2005-12-12, 12:22

I've had this same issue numerous times. I have yet to find a solution for it.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2005-12-12, 13:20

I've also found that the OS X Help thing to be an awful, awful pile of crap. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it crashes on launch. Sometimes it just takes over the menu bar and that's it.

It's about as helpful as the retarded help dog Windows has.
Yochanan

2005-12-12, 14:51

When I'm in Finder "Help" just crashes on launch. It's generally ok everywhere else. I think the Finder "Help" bug is fixed for me now though.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2005-12-12, 15:14

Yes, the Help Viewer is not very good. It's practically unusable on a dial-up connection for example. Generally speaking, it works better when your Mac is not connected to the internet even if you have a fast connection.

Computer help systems are nearly useless on all platforms. It is generally much quicker to randomly try things or hit Google. Oh for the days of printed manuals...
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2005-12-12, 15:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by InactionMan
I've also found that the OS X Help thing to be an awful, awful pile of crap. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it crashes on launch. Sometimes it just takes over the menu bar and that's it.
Same here.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2005-12-12, 15:55

I haven't had a successful search with help yet. I always have to navigate through indexes to find what I need.