Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Friend dropped imac isight magnet on pbook

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Friend dropped imac isight magnet on pbook
Sargasm

Send a message via AIM to Sargasm  
2005-12-09, 21:43

And the result is that his powerbook won't load.

He was chatting with video on his powerbook using an imac isight, and subsequently dropped the isight to the left of the mousepad. the magnet in the isight dragged it over to the mousepad and it stuck there. My friend quickly took it off, but the damage was done. The music he was playing kept erratically playing and the screen froze, then turned black. He turned it off, but when he tries to load it up again, he gets no results. It stays at the gray screen with the apple logo, and the little circular spinning icon doesnt appear. He does hear an odd clicking sound coming from within the powerbook though.

He's not sure how long he's had the pbook (1.67 ghz, 512 ram, osx 10.4.3, 1280 x 854 resolution), so he's not sure if he's still under default applecare.

Any solutions?

edit: he's had the pbook for a year and a half, so no default applecare. We're inside the apple store in glendale galleria awaiting the genius bar guys to call us.

Last edited by Sargasm : 2005-12-09 at 21:59.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2005-12-09, 22:18

I believe that's where the hard drive is. In that case, the computer itself shouldn't be damaged; the hard drive is just missing random system files.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-12-10, 03:16

You may be able to format the drive (which would mean no cost to your friend) however, he'll lose everything on the drive, which it sounds like he already has.

Come waste your time with me
euain

2005-12-10, 05:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargasm
He's not sure how long he's had the pbook (1.67 ghz, 512 ram, osx 10.4.3, 1280 x 854 resolution), so he's not sure if he's still under default applecare.

edit: he's had the pbook for a year and a half, so no default applecare. We're inside the apple store in glendale galleria awaiting the genius bar guys to call us.
Wasn't the 1.67 was released on 31st Jan 2005 - so he must have a few weeks left (assuming it is 1 year like in the UK)
Sargasm

2005-12-11, 18:40

ok, so the guy at the genius bar said that the hard drive was completely dead. Yesterday, he got a new hard drive that matched the apple genius' specifications and installed it himself. He's missing his retail version of tiger, so i brought over the ones that came with my powerbook.

So I turned it on, inserted the first disk, and restarted it while holding down C. The installation prompt came up, and it asked us to choose a language. However, after we clicked that, we got to the "install mac osx" window where an alert came up stating that the software cannot be installed on this computer.

We opened up disk utility, and verified the new hard drive, which came up ok.

The info on the new hard drive under disk utility is as follows:

under erase:
volume format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
Name: untitled

under partition:
volume scheme: current
format: mac os extended
locked for editing: unchecked

Raid:
volume format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
raid type: mirrored raid set
Raid set estimated size: 0bytes

Anyone have advice?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-12-11, 18:50

The problem is here:
Quote:
so i brought over the ones that came with my powerbook.
You must use his discs or a full retail version of Tiger.
Sargasm

2005-12-11, 19:26

ah, thanks for the info.

Unfortunately he lost his tiger discs. I guess we have to buy new ones...thanks for the help, guys.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-12-11, 20:02

So a magnet really killed his HD? That's freaky.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-12-11, 20:11

Bummer about the HD demagnetisation/wipe.

Quote:
He's missing his retail version of tiger,
I don't get how folks can lose their discs. I mean, if I shell out $ for software I keep the boxes, manuals etc. and place them on a bookshelf or in a storage box. What do he do ... buy Tiger, install it and then match the discs with one sock from a pair and eventually lose it over the course of a year?
Sargasm

2005-12-11, 21:33

He bought the retail version of tiger back when it was first released. You should see the guy's house though, it's enormous. We went through all his discs, probably hundreds if not thousands of em. His mom recalled throwing out a lot of discs a while back, and that's probably where it went. She helped pay for it, though.
Yochanan

2005-12-12, 14:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargasm
He bought the retail version of tiger back when it was first released. You should see the guy's house though, it's enormous. We went through all his discs, probably hundreds if not thousands of em. His mom recalled throwing out a lot of discs a while back, and that's probably where it went. She helped pay for it, though.
/Rich folks, with rich folk problems…
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2005-12-12, 16:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+
Bummer about the HD demagnetisation/wipe.

I don't get how folks can lose their discs. I mean, if I shell out $ for software I keep the boxes, manuals etc. and place them on a bookshelf or in a storage box. What do he do ... buy Tiger, install it and then match the discs with one sock from a pair and eventually lose it over the course of a year?
Dude this sort of thing even happens to me, and I live in a single room (well my bedroom at my parent's home, you know what I mean). You put the disc into a predesigned storage spot, I have a file case for all my apple documentation, then one day you forget about where it was and can't find it. Then when you remember its in the same place as everything else, you forget to put it back there. Its simply an accident, not all people are incredibly meticulous about stuff they buy. I know for one I have bigger responsibilities that do not warrant worrying about where I left a disc.

User formally known as Sh0eWax