Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

PDF files

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
PDF files
JamesG

2004-11-18, 11:03

Hey!

I've downloaded acrobat reader but I'm having troubles opening PDF files. When I click on a file to open it, the first page of the document pops up and that's it. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? I'm still trying to get used to OS X since I've just moved from OS 9.

Thanks,
James
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-11-18, 12:36

You may be opening the file in the application called "Preview." It's OS X's answer to the sometimes crappy Acrobat Reader. If you are indeed using preview, make sure the drawer is showing. Go to "view", "show drawer."

If you are using Acrobat reader, which I wouldn't recommend because preview is a superior app, I can't help you much, because I don't even have it on my computer. Although I'd imagine there is a similar function in Acrobat Reader.

Good luck, sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Come waste your time with me
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2004-11-18, 12:48

Tried the pg up/down arrows on your keyboard?
They scroll most windows nicely.
Go figure.
JamesG

2004-11-18, 16:26

Ahhh, no worries, figured it out. I just saved the file onto the desktop and then opened it with preview!
byzantium

2004-11-22, 07:07

By default, Acrobat doesn't use continuous scrolling. So as someone else noted above, you can either use the up / down pages, or turn on continuous scrolling.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2004-11-22, 12:54

Why is it called Preview, is the just a View, I'm a little curious. Is there an equivalent of Acrobat that allows me to edit .pdf's?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2004-11-22, 13:28

There's, umm, Acrobat

Seriously, though, you can create .pdf files from any OS X application without having to use Acrobat. If it's a simple .pdf, you don't need it at all. If it's one with forms, you've got to use Acrobat to create it. As far as editing .pdf files themselves, I'd imagine Acrobat is the only way to go. If you've got the original document, say a .doc file, you can just use Word and save as a pdf.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2004-11-22, 14:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile
There's, umm, Acrobat

Seriously, though, you can create .pdf files from any OS X application without having to use Acrobat. If it's a simple .pdf, you don't need it at all. If it's one with forms, you've got to use Acrobat to create it. As far as editing .pdf files themselves, I'd imagine Acrobat is the only way to go. If you've got the original document, say a .doc file, you can just use Word and save as a pdf.
Even Acrobat isn't officially endorsed for editing PDF files. Acrobat Standard has a 'text touch up tool" but no "object touch up tool" (which you need Acrobat Professional for). Neither version will edit text if you don't have the original document fonts installed.

The official Adobe curriculum guides for Acrobat actually recommend rebuilding documents in their creation app and re-exporting or re-distilling them, rather than using Acrobat for any serious editing.