User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

imac g5 - sleep problem?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
imac g5 - sleep problem?
bjskew

2005-01-03, 16:41

sorry if this is a dumb question... (i am a newb), but...

when i put my imc g5 to sleep manually (going through the menu), the light on the front pulsates. however, when it goes to sleep through inactivity, the screen turns off and the light remains on (does not pulsate). it is not a problem with my putting the display to sleep only as i have turned this feature off).

any suggestions?

sorry if my ignorance is showing.
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2005-01-03, 16:56

It sounds like OSX is just turning off the monitor when not active... not going to sleep.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-01-03, 17:10

\/\/ickes is right. It's putting the display to sleep but not (yet?) putting the whole system to sleep.

Check the Energy Saver pane in your System Preferences. You'll see two separate sliders, one for the display and one for the whole system. You may need to click the Show Details buttons to get the sliders and advanced options.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-01-03, 17:11

Hah! Okay, Brad, you got your fair share of thread moves. Time for me to move this one before you.

Tech support questions belong in the Genius Bar.
bjskew

2005-01-03, 17:16

first, sorry for not posting in the first place.

i adjusted the settings (the ones for the display only and the system as a whole). i turned the display setting to 'never' and the system setting for 5 min to try it out. but, after 5 min, the display goes black and the light doesn't pulsate. anything else i can do?
holbox

2005-01-04, 19:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjskew
first, sorry for not posting in the first place.

i adjusted the settings (the ones for the display only and the system as a whole). i turned the display setting to 'never' and the system setting for 5 min to try it out. but, after 5 min, the display goes black and the light doesn't pulsate. anything else i can do?
I'm sure I read somewhere that the light goes on when it goes to sleep.
Bet it's OK.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-01-04, 20:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by holbox
I'm sure I read somewhere that the light goes on when it goes to sleep.
Bet it's OK.
Wrong. The light pulses when it sleeps. If it's off, it means the computer is off.
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2005-01-05, 08:52

Sounds like your pulse is broken. You could go take it in for repair...

or...

Blink faster!
bjskew

2005-01-05, 09:42

as an update...

I spoke with an Apple tech yesterday who said he never heard that problem before. after holding for a while, he came back and told me he tested several imag g5's in their office and they all behaved the exact same way as mine. if their g5's do the same thing, i suppose there was nothing to worry bout.

cheers.
ahcurrier

2005-02-12, 19:17

I have the EXACT same problem with my dual 2.0 G5. When it sleeps after being idle, it does not really sleep (the light does not pulsate). Have tried everything to fix it. Has gone away/come back repeatedly as I have updated from 10.3.0 -> 10.3.8.

Today I unplugged everything from my machine except for power and monitor. No effect. I've heard of sleep issues with installed software even if this software is not running. Perhaps this is the culprit in both of our cases.
ahcurrier

2005-02-12, 19:21

No, the pulse is not broken - only the monitor sleeps after the designated idle period, even if prefs are set to put the whole machine to sleep, not just the monitor.
Robert Roxby

2005-03-11, 10:05

I have the same problem - If I go through the menu to select sleep, the light pulses; if I let it do whatever it is doing through inactivity, the light is on steady. Is there anybody for whom it does not work this way?
Robert