Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Tiger Clean Install Disallows Bundled Apps

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Tiger Clean Install Disallows Bundled Apps
drewprops
Space Pirate

2005-11-25, 21:09

Apologies if this has been discussed before but I couldn't find a thread with this topic in it and I'd really, really like some help.

I decided to upgrade all my Adobe apps over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend. At the same time I elected to make the move to Tiger and decided to scrub my 15" Aluminum Powerbook down to the foundation and do a clean install.

Everything was great until I realized that Tiger didn't install the iLife apps (my bad, why would it?). Returning to the install disc that came with the machine I tried installing just the bundled apps package but there was an error reading the disc. After doing some poking around on the Apple discussion boards I saw that some people were recommending an app called Pacifist to install individual items from the bundle package and so I've given it a try.

With the exception of iDVD everything seems to have worked.

I'm really curious: Are we to be expected to upgrade the applications that were bundled with our computers because we have updated to a subsequent generation of the operation system?

I certainly wouldn't think so.

If anyone knows more about this topic I'd appreciate advice or a link.

Thanks!

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-11-25, 21:21

Did you try using the Software Restore application? It's a relatively recent addition to the discs, so maybe yours don't have it, but you can run it and pick and choose what of the bundled apps you install.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2005-11-25, 22:07

This is the previous rev Powerbook - just got it early this year. While I'd certainly be interested in a "Software Restore" application there appears to only be an item on the original installation disc called "Install Bundled Software Only" - which is a ".mpkg" file. Apparently that thing doesn't run under 10.4.3 and I'm unclear if this is truly considered "broken" behavior by Apple or if it's a way to get users to buy iLife 5.

If I run Pacifist I can extract iDVD and the themes and such... just haven't been able to get the whole magilla up and running. Now I'm reading about "receipts" and such in my googlings... garr, but this is tad annoying.

Captain Drew on Twitter
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-11-26, 06:41

If it reports an error with the disc, then it's probably scratched or otherwise physically marred. Generally speaking, if Pacifist can't install something from an installer package, nothing will.

Receipts are just, well, "receipts" left by Apple's Installer.app as a marker that you've installed something. They're generally useless except that the Software Update mechanism and Disk Utility's repair permissions access them to check what you've installed. and if they should have any special permissions (respectively).

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2005-11-26, 10:25

First of all, I finally got it installed.

I was certain that the disc wasn't scratched because I had reinstalled all of the other applications that I needed, except for iDVD - which continued to tell me that I didn't have any themes installed.

The problem I was experiencing was that I was picking the wrong button in Pacifist. During the installation process, seemingly near the very end, it indicates that some files need to be installed/replaced - asking what you want to do. I somehow missed the big "Update" button and instead worked with the "replace" and "leave" buttons.

Today's Annoying Lesson
When doing a clean installation of a brand new OS be sure to check how your computer's bundled software is stored on your software restore disc(s). It might be best if you did a clean installation of your original restore discs then do an "Upgrade" install to the new version of the OS.

I hope that this was an oversight on Apple's part and that in future bundled applications are handled differently to ease transitions to new OSes.

Captain Drew on Twitter