User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Interesting Knock-on effects of iPhone 3G..

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Interesting Knock-on effects of iPhone 3G..
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2008-06-09, 22:37

So, and interesting knock-on effect I noticed today:

My girlfriend wants a Blackberry Curve.* Yesterday, they were $299 on the Rogers site. Today, they're $199. All the other phones have dropped by about 33% overnight, and none of them break the $199 barrier.

Thanks Apple!

*=I know! But there's no telling her sometimes...
admactanium

2008-06-10, 00:02

sorry, i guess a knock-on effect is a side effect?
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2008-06-10, 00:27

The first time I read the title, I thought he was linking to a review that looked at 3G quite unfavorably...
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2008-06-10, 01:09

Another knock-on effect is going to be in the small GPS market.

When you look at the speed and quality of most handheld / small car GPS systems people are going to start asking why they should pay so much for them when the iPhone does that, and so much more, for $199.00

If I was Mio, or TomTom I'd be taking a long hard look at my product line right now..

I also wonder if we are going to see restrictions / new laws about using iPhones in cars...

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
Dave
Ninja Editor

2008-06-10, 01:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt View Post
I also wonder if we are going to see restrictions / new laws about using iPhones in cars...
Why would what my passenger is doing with his or her iPhone affect my driving anymore than any other cell phone?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2008-06-10, 01:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Why would what my passenger is doing with his or her iPhone affect my driving anymore than any other cell phone?
While I feel you mustn't use your cellphone while driving, PERIOD (headsets / speak-free / etc. obviously excluded), I can see what makes the iPhone and similar devices a special case. Due to lack of tactile feedback, you are encouraged to look at the screen (and therefore, not at traffic) a lot more.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2008-06-10, 05:06

Agreed. And I am not referring to passengers, but drivers using the device...

I wonder how long before there is a dash mount accessory for the iPhone to enable it's use as a GPS system more easily.. Even so the iPhone is slightly harder to use than a button controlled device as chucker points out, and as such will be more of a draw of the drivers attention.

I am all for personal responsibility so am not suggesting there should be stricter rules / laws.. But if it occurred to me (fun lovin' freedom appreciating scratt) then I am sure a fascist with a clipboard somewhere is also mulling this over.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2008-06-10, 05:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
While I feel you mustn't use your cellphone while driving, PERIOD (headsets / speak-free / etc. obviously excluded)
The lack of concentration from trying to conduct a conversation whilst driving is just as large a part of the danger as having the phone propped against your ear. But thats beside the point.
spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2008-06-10, 06:58

Quote:
If I was Mio, or TomTom I'd be taking a long hard look at my product line right now..
I'd be shitting my pants. Apple just entered their market. I'd say, right now, Garmin has the best interface for these devices. You just know that if Apple decides to add their own GPS application to the iPhone (or even spin-off a dedicated GPS unit), they're going to do their thing and blow everybody away.

Ugh.
Gizzer

2008-06-10, 07:08

Quote:
One of them has.... TomTom iPhone already exists
veryamusing

2008-06-10, 07:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
While I feel you mustn't use your cellphone while driving, PERIOD (headsets / speak-free / etc. obviously excluded), I can see what makes the iPhone and similar devices a special case. Due to lack of tactile feedback, you are encouraged to look at the screen (and therefore, not at traffic) a lot more.
I've played with the different GPS offerings at retail stores and none of them offer any sort of tactile feedback. I don't think legislators would be able to get away with prohibiting usage of the iPhone as a GPS simply because it has a phone built-in too.