Surprise MacBook Pro refresh incoming?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Surprise MacBook Pro refresh incoming?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-09-19, 22:57

AI link

It makes sense, in a way. The next generation of Intel processors, Ivy Bridge, was delayed until sometime in the first half of 2012. It seems unlikely that Apple is going to want to wait so long between updates. And Intel just introduced some new processors, and dropped prices on some old ones.

Another thing they could do, besides bump the processor, is finally bring the 13" MacBook Pro in pixel parity with the 13" MacBook Air, with a 1440*900 display. They could also make the 1680*1050 higher-resolution display option standard on the 15" MacBook Pro.

An introduction of new models this month (this week?!) would be quite sudden, but it would give the new MBPs some time in the spotlight before attention shifts to iOS products in October and beyond. And it's possible they've just been waiting until the back-to-school promotion ends tomorrow.

The other day I was kind of surprised to find "the new MacBook Air" still front-and-center on Apple's homepage. What are your thoughts?
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2011-09-19, 23:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
What are your thoughts?
That is just gonna be harder to resist

Seriously they need to fix the resolution on the 13". Needs to be #1 priority.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-09-20, 05:08

It might be worth noting that according to the MacRumors Buyer's Guide, at 208 days since the February update the MacBook Pro is approaching the historical average of 215 days between updates. However, the last two update cycles were significantly longer (309 and 317 days).

The last four times Apple updated or introduced a Mac in Q1 (the MacBook Air and MacBook Pro in 2008 and the iMac and Mac mini in 2009), they updated it again in October. The MacBook Pro and iMac examples were redesigns, as October Macs are wont to be. With the delay of Ivy Bridge and the later-than-usual introduction of the iPhone 5 I'm not expecting a redesigned MacBook Pro, but a pre-holiday bump certainly seems in line with Apple's past behavior.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2011-09-20, 05:20

Not giving up on my hope that they'll do a hybrid SSD/HDD solution.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-09-20, 05:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Would be cool. My secret stupid hope is that they drop the 8GB RAM upgrade pricing to $100 (from $200). But considering they charge $100 to upgrade to 4GB on the MacBook Air...

I remember paying them $50 to take the RAM from 1 to 2GB on my 2009 Mac mini. Good times.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Eugene
careful with axes

2011-09-20, 05:56

Quote:
Do you mean something like a Seagate Momentus XT or a MBP with two 2.5" drives (and no optical drive?).

Quote:
Would be cool. My secret stupid hope is that they drop the 8GB RAM upgrade pricing to $100 (from $200). But considering they charge $100 to upgrade to 4GB on the MacBook Air...

I remember paying them $50 to take the RAM from 1 to 2GB on my 2009 Mac mini. Good times.
Check this graph out to see how crazy the DRAM market is. 2x4GB kit from $460 to $40 in just over 1.5 years.

http://camelegg.com/product/N82E16820231314

Last edited by Eugene : 2011-09-20 at 08:11.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2011-09-20, 06:55

Quote:
Would be cool. My secret stupid hope is that they drop the 8GB RAM upgrade pricing to $100 (from $200). But considering they charge $100 to upgrade to 4GB on the MacBook Air…
Considering I paid €44 for my 2*4 GB RAM kit, even $100 would be quite a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
Do you mean something like a Seagate Momentus XT or a MBP with two 2.5" drives (and no optical drive?).
No; the SSD in the XT acts only as a cache. I mean more like the higher-end iMac implementation. OS on the SSD; user profile on the HDD.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-09-20, 07:07

Quote:
Considering I paid €44 for my 2*4 GB RAM kit, even $100 would be quite a bit.
Of course it would be! I wouldn't hope for Apple to have reasonable RAM prices, just less crazy ones

$100 for the upgrade is nice because Apple gives students a $100 discount on the 13" MacBook Pro, so students could get a MBP for $1199 with a "free" RAM upgrade (which is sorta what I did with my mini). A lot of people (i.e., me) might not like the idea of immediately performing surgery on their brand-new MacBook themselves and would be willing to pay a little bit extra for Apple to ship it right. They just wouldn't pay what Apple currently charges, because that shit is bananas.