User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

The Day(s) the Earth Stood Still

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The Day(s) the Earth Stood Still
iDorf

2010-03-23, 01:05

How many here remember the death of OS 9 and the ushering in of OS X?

Looking back, there really was no reason to get so nervous. It was a great move forward.
But, at the time, for many it was frightening to say the least. Macs that could boot direct to
OS 9 were selling at a premium. And naturally those with large collections of OS 9 apps felt
particularly disenfranchised.

I suppose many like myself eased themselves into this new OS X thing. It did make a great excuse
to get that 2nd (maybe 3rd or 4th ...) Apple computer to break into OS X. Just to try it out. To see
if this really was the future, or a bad dream of some kind that we'd all wake from.

Anybody recall?

How many of you actually ran 10.0?
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2010-03-23, 01:41

I did run the 10.0 for a while, but since I had no native OSX apps, I was never happy with it, and stuck with OS9 for a few more years. Then about the time Panther came out someone gave me disks for 10.2 and I was using OSX full time within the next year. I think the last time I booted a machine into OS9 was 5 or 6 years ago.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2010-03-23, 01:58

I spent a lot of time on OS 9. I didn't jump until 10.2. I kept holding out for "OS 11" haha. I still have a OS 9 computer to play those awesome games back then that were never ported to OSX. Riven never worked right for me on OSX. Protools was another program I miss. It was free on OS 9 and I have never forgiven their smugg asses for not releasing a simple, limited version for OSX.

I like OS 9 because applications back then reflected a simpler time. DRM (though still around) was not a problem like it is today. Games didn't need internet connections, but it added capability. I was in control of the data on my computer. Now it feels I am a passenger to my own system and Apple/content owners are the drivers. (*cough* iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch *cough*) This is not the nerd/geek/computer culture I grew up with. I expected it to change, but it takes a lot of fight out of me to reclaim the experience I had growing up.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2010-03-23, 02:29

I ordered my first new Mac portable at around the time OS X became the default install. I just plugged my credit card in and dialled one up from a retailer somewhere and waited for it to arrive without even thinking about it.

I'd been on a sabbatical from computers mostly for a couple of years, diving and skydiving around the world.

I thought I'd got the wrong machine when it booted up! I was very surprised at what I saw!!

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2010-03-23, 06:40

I remember using OS 6.

[/getoffmylawn]

10.0 on an dual USB iBook wasn't stable enough to teach with, but I was playing with it from day 1 to evaluate it for design and lab use.

I might still have classic on my old G4 mini (to play Alpha Centauri or to load archaic backups), but effectively migrated to OS X well before 10.2 was out.

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-03-23, 06:45

I paid to run the Public Beta in 2000 on my then-top-of-the-line dual 0.5 GHz G4 Power Mac. I ran it (and the subsequent numerous leaked dev seeds) as my day-to-day OS and only rebooted back to OS 9 for the occasional CD burning or DVD-watching (which didn't work until 10.1).

The early versions were slow as hell, but boy were they brimming with potential!

It got faster when they removed the debug code, though.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2010-03-23, 10:24

I just watched Steve's presentation of OSX back in 2000. Pretty sweet. At the end, he says "This will be our foundation for the next decade". Well, we're in 2010... what's up now ?

Condensed in 30 minutes if you want to watch

Dave Mustaine :"God created whammy bars for people who don't know how to solo."
addabox
Veteran Member

2010-03-23, 10:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmegatool View Post
I just watched Steve's presentation of OSX back in 2000. Pretty sweet. At the end, he says "This will be our foundation for the next decade". Well, we're in 2010... what's up now ?

Condensed in 30 minutes if you want to watch
iOS, or its somewhat more capable progeny. And I bet he knew it back then, too.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2010-03-23, 12:12

I bought my first Apple computer on 2/17/2001. The wait for my copy of OS X 10.0 on 3/24/2001 was painful. I didn't use OS 9 once I had OS X installed. Guess I was lucky that I didn't have legacy software to worry about and could start fresh just like Apple was.

For the first few months, all I really needed was the WiFi card, Office v.X, Xcode and gcc at the command line so I wasn't hurting for applications like the Photoshop crowd.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-03-23, 13:53

I love these kinds of memories and stories, as I was right in the thick of this stuff as it happened. A solid six years of Mac-using under my belt (System 7.1 was my first OS, on my Quadra 610 purchased in February 1994). So I went through OS 8 and 9, and then into OS X.

I attended the 2000 Macworld Expo in Frisco (my only one), where OS X was unveiled. I didn't attend the keynote, but I saw the replays on the screens, and then watched a couple of different presentations on stage at the the big Apple booth, where Apple staffers basically re-enacted the OS X unveiling, and showed off Aqua, the dock, the new window buttons, etc.

I eventually had the public beta, but it was frustrating. I kept dabbling with it, though. I knew it was "the future", so "rallying against it" made no sense to me. Either I was going to get left behind, or OS 9. And it sure as hell wasn't going to be the former...

In 2002, I started to use it more and more on my iMac G4 (Jaguar). When October 2003 rolled around, I jumped full-tilt into OS X, with my new PowerBook G4 (and the free copy of 10.3 Panther I got that night, the "Night of Panther"). Haven't looked back since, and can barely even remember (or care) anything about OS 9. Hell, I mostly hated it back then, when it was the default OS. Once I got my head around OS X a bit, and loved that one misbehaving application wouldn't take my entire Mac down, that was all I needed to hear.

And it helped that OS X software started creeping out and picking up during that time too, big and small titles alike.

But I remember those early days of OS X...just exploring all the new UI features, and purposely clicking menus just so I could see the shadow it cast. And dragging windows around and thinking it was so cool that the image remained (and you weren't just dragging an outline and "guessing".

Ahhh...the stuff we take for granted now.

The first thing I said at Macworld, upon looking up to the rafters and seeing the big blue, gel-like "X" banners hanging everywhere was "cool...they're making the OS look like the iMacs!" I loved that period. Everything was round, inviting, colorful, translucent and lickable...the hardware and the OS/software!

I was fully onboard from the get-go, even if it took a while to get used to it. But been using it full-time since October 2003, and it just gets better with each major release, IMO. With the exception of Leopard, I was onto the new major upgrades within the first 24-48 hours of release. I took a couple of months with Leopard.
addabox
Veteran Member

2010-03-24, 00:51

Reminds me of the days of people resizing windows as fast as they could and getting bent out of shape because OS X couldn't "keep up."

I guess it's been a while since we inquired after the Teh Snappy™ and really needed to know.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2010-03-24, 09:01

Reminds me of using Quartz Debug in the first few versions of OS X to watch the differences between versions as they worked to get screen resizing (double buffered) to happen as fast as it did on Windows (which was single buffered at the time).
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

Send a message via AIM to evan  
2010-03-24, 09:28

OS X turns 9 today
Bonn89

2010-03-24, 10:08

Part of the 10.3 Keynote.

I still love how the crowd goes absolutely crazy when Steve invokes Exposé for the first time.
Baron Munchausen

2010-03-24, 11:18

I got the 10.PB immediately it came out and loaded it into my Sawtooth.

Better multitasking and that delicious liquid interface! It ran pretty well and I was so happy to get it, being used to "Minicomputer" OpenVMS. Well, UNIX was a poor relation but at least it was robust enough.

Never let me down. After a few days I was using it as my default with the Classic embedded and almost never booting into native 9.

I think 10.3 was the sweet spot for G4's. After that it began to get slower and slower with certain Finder candy and all manner of behind the scenes vampires clogging up the system.

Now I have 10.5.8 on my PB 1.67 and it runs only ok. Note I have not used newer machines so I am not "coming back to" G4. Worst thing is the scheduling seems poorly implemented with, for example, slow loading of a page in one tab making it slow to switch to another and enter text - I mean, a background tab should not slow down foreground keyboard entry. Ever.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2010-03-24, 13:12

I found 10.4.x to be the best on G4 based systems, but then by the time I was using OSX, I had upgraded my Sawtooth's CPU with a 1.2Ghz processor, and the GPU a short time later with one that supported quartz extreme.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2010-03-24, 13:23

I started using Macs on a Mac 512k, booting from a floppy disk. I think I still have one of my System 4.2 disks lying around somewhere, from the "later years", i.e. the Mac SE days.

I've always been an early adopter, so I installed OS X 10.0 as soon as I got my hands on it. It really was a whole new world compared to OS 9. It was much more complex, and for a while I really lamented the loss of the ability to simply replace the System file with a fresh one if it got corrupted.

But then OS X system files didn't really seem to get corrupted like the OS 9 ones did. OS 9 was also a lot easier to troubleshoot, since the problem was always either an extension or a corrupted, easily-replaceable file. Looking into the OS X system folder was like:

"What is this? I don't even."

But despite being kind of slow at first, OS X has done me pretty well. It's so refined now that it's really enjoyable to use, though we do have a working OS 9 machine here in the studio, and sometimes I go back and play with it. It's pretty cool to see how far the Mac OS has come in the last 9 years.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2010-03-24, 13:40

I used Macs for a long, long time. I became very familiar with the old bomb icon, especially after we upgraded our SE/30 and IIcx to System 7:

The IIcx, which had 256-color output, was my first computer. As my parents upgraded their own computers for work reasons, I got the hand-me-downs. First a Quadra 610, then a Power Mac 7100, a Power Mac 8100, and finally a PowerBook G3.

The PowerBook was the first computer I used with OS X. It was basically the bare minimum necessary to run it, even after I upgraded the RAM to 320 MB. Storage space was so tight I used an external SCSI hard drive, maybe 4 or 6 GB in size.

I went through a bunch of OS X Macs after the PowerBook. Switched more often than Murbot at one point, including about a six month stretch where I used a Windows box. My last Mac was a 12" PowerBook G4. I got rid of it and switched to Windows for good after installing Leopard, which was slow and buggy on it.

My only regret was wasting so much money on swapping out Macs during my college years. Once I graduated, I had no more need for a laptop, and I wasn't about to buy a Mac desktop.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2010-03-24, 14:25

Hey, IIcx fist bump! We don't need no stinkin' integrated graphics. That was the machine I had after my Mac Classic, and before my Radius 81/110.