Password
AppleNova Forums » Programmer's Nook »

Video on website software - free needed - and easy to use

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Video on website software - free needed - and easy to use
surjones

2008-06-18, 15:57

Well I know my Title is long and for that I'm sorry

I have some videos that I want to put on a website, and I could use Quicktime links, but seems like everyone I run into on PC and Macs (who havent updated software since the depression) cant view them, so I am on the search for a new media players. (please dont mention youtube. Lets keep it professional) lol.

I am still novice, and I need something that wont require a lot of time, including the converting.

I appreciate your time,
thanks

P.S. Samples with links to software site. thanks
apple007
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2008-06-18, 16:10

A lot of people just upload to YouTube and then imbed the resulting video players into their web sites. Seems to work just fine in most cases.
surjones

2008-06-18, 16:11

I dont want Youtube, horrible!!!!
apple007
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2008-06-18, 16:20

How many videos are we talking about? If it's just a couple, why not simply post a Windows version and a QuickTime version and be done with it?

I understand YouTube isn't the best, but it became popular in large part because of its (lowest common denominator) accessibility, which seems to be your problem.
surjones

2008-06-18, 17:02

about 40 videos, and the youtube quality is not the best, and the viewing window is 4:3 and I like 16:9 windows. like how the raw video opens up. Any one have any media playing software options?
surjones

2008-06-20, 11:29

Anyone?
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2008-06-20, 11:38

Honestly, most people have Quicktime, Windows Media Player or both. There's really not anything else that's close to ubiquitous right now. Since WMV isn't widely used on Macs any more, Quicktime is honestly your best option, IMO.

Give visitors to your site a link to http://apple.com/quicktime/ and don't worry about it.

I know you were looking for alternatives, but there really are no widely used free alternatives that are high quality.

You could also try to make your own flash player wrapper for your videos and use .swf, but that would shut out iPhone users (which may not be a big deal, depending on your audience). Flash costs money (for you, not the visitors), though, so you might not be happy with that.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2008-06-20, 11:42

May I suggest vimeo? It allows for far higher resolutions than YouTube (and has a bit of a more exclusive community to it), yet uses Flash all the same.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-06-20, 11:49

WMV can handle H.264 MPEG-4, right?

Make it a plain MPEG-4 file with H.264 codec. Not a .mov file, not a .wmv file, just a plain old vanilla MPEG-4.