User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

10.4.4 bugs

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
10.4.4 bugs
jsk173

2006-01-12, 00:49

Figured I'd start this to report any bugs in 10.4.4 ...

One I've noticed is the iCal dock icon still does not update properly. Before 10.4, the iCal dock icon would update at the stroke of midnight. Ever since 10.4, the iCal dock icon can take up to an hour (i.e., until 1:00 a.m.) before the date is updated. I reported this to Apple after 10.4 and every update since (four times) but the issue persists. Not the end of the world but very annoying.
MrENGLISH™
HerrDEUTSCH™

2006-01-12, 01:17

Must just be your system because I don't experience any problems with the iCal icon displaying the date on any of my systems.
gjas15

2006-01-12, 01:33

I assume iCal has to be open for this right? Cause mine has never changed the date unless it is.....
Blue Light Bandit

2006-01-12, 02:45

The randomly-shifting audio balance bug is still present in 10.4.4 (as with all 10.4.x).
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2006-01-12, 03:09

and 10.3.x probably 10.2.x and before, but I don't remember.
jsk173

2006-01-12, 03:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davimation
Must just be your system because I don't experience any problems with the iCal icon displaying the date on any of my systems.
No, this has been confirmed by multiple users here in the past. Unless you were looking at your iCal dock icon at the stroke of midnight, you might not understand the bug in question.
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2006-01-12, 03:26

Randomly-shifting audio balance bug? What's that?

It's sounds like what's effecting PCs too..
BenP

2006-01-12, 09:48

Mail still doesn't hide at startup, which doesn't bother me, but you'd think they would have fixed it by now.
Jay

2006-01-12, 10:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by morningstarrising
Randomly-shifting audio balance bug? What's that?

It's sounds like what's effecting PCs too..
I've seen in occasionally myself. For some odd reason the audio balance will just move so it's coming out of one speaker. I haven't seen it in awhile though.
Heart

2006-01-12, 10:07

In Panther, the iCal icon would display 17 June in the dock until you opened the app, at which point it would switch to today's date. After closing the app, it would retain today's date in the dock, but not (as far as I know) change the date at midnight. In Tiger, after closing the app the icon would revert back to the default 17 June date.

The randomly shifting audio-bug; I've had that problem too where for no apparant reason, the audio balance in System Preferences would shift slightly to my right-hand speaker always; interestingly never to the left. I probably never noticed it for a while.
jsk173

2006-01-12, 10:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart
In Panther, the iCal icon would display 17 June in the dock until you opened the app, at which point it would switch to today's date. After closing the app, it would retain today's date in the dock, but not (as far as I know) change the date at midnight. In Tiger, after closing the app the icon would revert back to the default 17 June date.
Right, but I'm talking about when the app is open. Pre-Tiger, if iCal was open, the iCal dock icon would update at the stroke of midnight, so the current/accurate date was *always* in the dock. Post-Tiger, the date still updates, but usually not until 12:45 a.m. or later, which is odd and unexplainable.
chaos123x

2006-01-12, 16:00

After installing it when you restart the computer comes on, but the monitor does not...

Have to hard boot it, then the screen works again.

It did this to me on a Dual 2.7 Powermac G5 and a 1.42ghz Emac.

Intalled the update on a 1.67ghz powerbook and a 1.5ghz mac mini, and did not have the same problem.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2006-01-12, 16:33

I had the mouse freeze on me on restart, so that it was stuck in the top left hand corner of the screen. Another restart cured it. I didn't really worry about it.
eleazar

2006-01-12, 21:13

Don't know if it is related to the upgrade, but after I installed the update and the computer rebooted the DVD drive of my Powerbook wasn't loaded. I restarted the computer again and nothing happened. Then, I completely shutdown and let it sit. When I powered up, I heard it click on. It's been working ever since.
tomp6708

2006-01-12, 21:22

iCal has been completely broken on my Powerbook since the 10.4.4 update. Every time I try and use iCal, a calander briefly appears and then iCal "unexpecdedly quits". Severy reboots have not changed the problem. Any one else with this issue? Any ideas?
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2006-01-12, 21:26

Nope, no problems for, other than the fact that my ibook took a long time over a minute to shutdown the frist time after the update (shutdown to reboot after update). No trouble at all on my Power Mac G4.
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2006-01-12, 21:40

After hiding (control-H) a full screen window, the screen was blank. I tried everything but finally resorted to the trusty Apple-Q after all else failed. It worked, but then the dock was gone! I tried messing with the prefs in the system preferences but that was acting strangely too. I finally restarted and it works fine since. Never had that happen before 10.4.4...
initialsBB

2006-01-12, 23:12

what about the fact that the remote volumes that i drop into startup items never open automatically, despite the fact that the passwords are stored in the keychain ? this pisses me off to no extent : my itunes library is on my server ( an old cube ), and i can't use my computer to wake me up anymore !

edit: bugs aside, boot time is really wickedly fast again !

Last edited by initialsBB : 2006-01-13 at 10:10.
Paranoid666au

2006-01-13, 00:10

Have you guys run Disk Utility and done a permisions repair? If not you should do it.
rasmits
rams it

2006-01-13, 02:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenP
Mail still doesn't hide at startup, which doesn't bother me, but you'd think they would have fixed it by now.
It bothers the hell out of me, and the fact that it's squeezed past this many updates is embarrassing.

iChat doesn't hide at startup either.
copland

2006-01-13, 03:27

Well I got hit rather fast and bad.
My FireWire connection is dead. The system recognises my camcorder and my external CD-writer without a problem, but the moment I start pumping data from one end of the cable to the other the system totally hiccups.
I even got a kernel panic - the first in at least 3 years of extensive OS X use.
When I don't move data via firewire I'm fine.
I am using a Sonnet Tango 2.0 (firewire and usb combo) on a B&W G3 (the onboard FW died shortly before christmas).
I will try to downdate to 10.4.3 somehow.

copland
Sargasm

Send a message via AIM to Sargasm  
2006-01-13, 03:45

My safari gets really laggy at times, particularly when I highlight text and deselect it, as well as middle mouse clicking to open a link in a new tab.
initialsBB

2006-01-13, 12:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid666au
Have you guys run Disk Utility and done a permisions repair? If not you should do it.
i thought everybody knew that by now : permissions repair right before the update, and another right after ... standard procedure !
moodsoft

2006-01-16, 01:45

Hi all, this is my first post and I've found something rather interesting.

I just upgraded to 10.4.4 (I didn't really test this before hand but it seems to be here now) and in Terminal, I can use smbclient to look at a share I have installed on my *nix box. But if I tell Finder to connect to the same server I get an Error -43.

Is anyone else getting this?

Thanks,

Chris
copland

2006-01-16, 08:50

I just installed 10.4 over the last weekend on a fresh partition.
Like magic my onboard FW came back to life and the data-transfer via FW is no problem anymore. Can the OS hide FW so good, that even TeechTool cann't find it anymore?

copland
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2006-01-16, 09:59

I keep seeing a low opacity image of Otellini in a bunny costume fading in and out at random times... something about "assimilated"...
dead_stars

2006-01-17, 19:48

Well, here is a problem I've yet to see on my dual 2.0 PM (bought first of Nov '05).

I record incoming audio via a firewire interface with Amadeus II. Today was the first day this happend - I returned home to a computer readying for take off...my fans have never been spinning like that and I was told to hold down the power to shutdown. Of course I lost the 5 hour audio file (unless someone knows how to recover it since I never "saved as" in Amadeus) but it's never locked up on me before and it concerns me that some really bad is going to happen if it keeps doing that on a daily basis. I record 5x/week but I set Amadeus to quit recording after x number of hours each time.

http://www.cybernetic-broadcasting.net/
Power Mac G5 DC 2.0GHz, 6.5gb RAM, ATI Radeon X1900 G5 ed, 250gb sys drive, 400gb media drive
8gb iPod (Red) nano - 2G / Silver 2G iPod Shuffle