Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: Minecraft beta 1.5 released!
Page 2 of 5 Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5  Next Thread Tools
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-19, 16:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPoit View Post
That would also give everyone a chance to fix their ladders. Poll?
No need for a poll. I think it's safe to say I won't be updating the server until the next patch unless someone makes a really good argument otherwise.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-04-19, 16:33

I know rain going through glass looks bad, but is it really that big of a problem for some reason I don't understand? ie: does the wool get waterlogged or something?

Most of my ladders have been continuous since day one because I preferred the look.....
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2011-04-19, 16:54

I'd prefer to get the roof done on the rink before it snows in there. Other than that I am all set with ladders and the other fixes.

I hopefully should get it on tonight or tomorrow night at the latest.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-04-19, 16:56

Brad, did you bring a real computer with you? Seems like you're doing more than just stuff on an iPhone.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-19, 16:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
I know rain going through glass looks bad, but is it really that big of a problem for some reason I don't understand? ie: does the wool get waterlogged or something?

Most of my ladders have been continuous since day one because I preferred the look.....
There are also some apparently easily reproducible bugs that will crash the server/application. Placing certain tiles next to each other, mine carting in certain directions, etc. Basically, we'd have to enforce/trust that no one would trigger any of these actions, even by accident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Brad, did you bring a real computer with you? Seems like you're doing more than just stuff on an iPhone.
Yeah. Today was supposed to be shuttle launch day, but we decided to bum around the hotel instead since we didn't have an extra pass to the parks for today.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-04-19, 17:12

Well, don't forget to hit International Drive and surrounding area. Putt-putt and Rain Forest Cafe etc. Lots to do for sure. Hope you have extra funds for Rain Forest!

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-04-19, 17:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
There are also some apparently easily reproducible bugs that will crash the server/application. Placing certain tiles next to each other, mine carting in certain directions, etc. Basically, we'd have to enforce/trust that no one would trigger any of these actions, even by accident.
Fair enough then: they sound like real reasons not to upgrade.
ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2011-04-19, 19:42

Ultimate reason to wait would be the loss of the server mod, I'd say.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-20, 00:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPoit View Post
Ultimate reason to wait would be the loss of the server mod, I'd say.
Nah. We're not running any server mods. SimpleServer is a wrapper/proxy and should keep working unless Mojang makes some major protocol changes. I'll test out SimpleServer locally with the new MC beta, but I don't anticipate any problems; SS has been cruising along fine for the last several major versions too.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2011-04-20, 00:59

The issue with rain passing through glass is that lightning does, too. THAT is why we need to wait for a patch.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-04-20, 01:08

I'd love to be able to make my own custom paintings...

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-20, 01:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
I'd love to be able to make my own custom paintings...

Me too! I'll sort of need some paintings for my next project, actually. Hrmm.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-20, 06:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by minecraftwiki.net
Saplings now stack in 59 as opposed to 64.

Quote:
I wouldn't get too excited yet. The mere presence of boosters doesn't necessarily mean we can build networks of monorails on the server. Minecarts and boats both add significant load to the server, and unless notch and co. have made some significant optimizations server-side, we should continue to minimize their use.
I don't need a rail network. I just really want one train. I hope performance improves...
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-20, 10:27

Client 1.5_01 and Server 1.5_02 are already out. "Fixing a big pile of bugs."

Server 1.5_01 was apparently virtually unplayable. Almost immediately fixed, but still.
remlemasi
Formerly “theelmerguy”

2011-04-20, 10:45

hola MC fam! Haven't been on in ages. Been applying for jobs. I've wanted to get back to explore the new world you guys have created for a while. I almost love exploring your creations more than creating myself! It's so fun!

So... I just accidentally updated to 1.5. I'm getting this error:

"Internal exception: java.IOException: Bad packet id 114"

I'm assuming it's because my client version is too new for the server. It was on 1.2 before and complained about the client being too old -__-.

What version is the server currently on and how to I force the client to go to that version?

Thanks. Looking forward to seeing your new creations.

One more thing... am I allowed to go into other users' homes/creations? I remember reading some new rules that you must ask for permission first. I won't touch anything! I promise!!!
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-20, 10:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by remlemasi View Post
What version is the server currently on and how to I force the client to go to that version?
We're all on 1.4_01, and no clue.

Quote:
One more thing... am I allowed to go into other users' homes/creations? I remember reading some new rules that you must ask for permission first.
Really? Oops.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-20, 10:50

Quote:
I'll test out SimpleServer locally with the new MC beta, but I don't anticipate any problems; SS has been cruising along fine for the last several major versions too.
Just tested. Looks like I spoke too soon! Apparently there were several protocol changes made in 1.5, and a few devs are working on patching SimpleServer to cope.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-20, 10:52

Quote:
I'm assuming it's because my client version is too new for the server. It was on 1.2 before and complained about the client being too old -__-.

Right. I'll PM you a jar of the old version shortly.

Quote:
One more thing... am I allowed to go into other users' homes/creations? I remember reading some new rules that you must ask for permission first. I won't touch anything! I promise!!!
Nah, I think it's okay to go into other people's homes/creations. Just don't change them or destroy them, and if you accidentally damage them (say via creeper), either fix the damage or notify the owner ASAP. That's what was recently discussed in a few posts.

remlemasi
Formerly “theelmerguy”

2011-04-20, 10:55

Quote:
Right. I'll PM you a jar of the old version shortly.

Nah, I think it's okay to go into other people's homes/creations. Just don't change them or destroy them, and if you accidentally damage them (say via creeper), either fix the damage or notify the owner ASAP. That's what was recently discussed in a few posts.
There is no greater admin than Brad.
Bonn89

2011-04-20, 12:27

I went ahead and updated to 1.5. I'm absolutely LOVING the new powered and detector rails (boosters without the risk of lag!).

As soon as there's a stable-enough server version and it's loaded up, I'm going to revamp/finish that goddamned Bridgeport-Arena Monorail I started with some shiny new booster rails.

(And if I felt I was really super awesome at Redstone, I'd even find some elaborate system to make sure you can't leave one end of the station if someone is heading from the other end. :P)
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-04-20, 12:28

why not two rails?
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-04-20, 12:31

Too easy. We need an underground, underwater complex redstone circuit the length of the whole track.
Bonn89

2011-04-20, 12:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Too easy. We need an underground, underwater complex redstone circuit the length of the whole track.
QFT. Two rails would just be... practical.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-20, 13:02

So is everyone just going to build their own separate tracks/monorails/rollercoasters, or are we going to try to have a station in Bridgeport?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-04-20, 13:18

I'm actually building one from Turtle National Part to my "T" ranch. Next up is a connection point to my underground at Bridgeport. I'll allow for connection to the main "terminal" if there is one too. Oh, and I'm using two tracks.

So are there new tracks to lay or is it the same tracks?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-04-20, 13:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonn89 View Post
QFT. Two rails would just be... practical.
Holy iron, Batman!

But yes, I agree. If you can find the iron. The ideal booster distance is every 26 blocks, I think? Assuming no incline.

Last edited by Kraetos : 2011-04-20 at 13:31.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-04-20, 13:21

Er, it should be a system, and it should be standardized, so unless you are building a freestanding rollercoaster, it's probably best to wait until we work out what a station would actually entail...

Ie: we may want a minecart delivery system that provides a cart at the push of a button, switches that can be thrown while in the cart to change direction, etc...
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-04-20, 13:32

You're too practical some times.

I'm laying the groundwork that can be easily changed later. Digging tunnels and such. Maybe I can get on later today to help out with the mob trap though. I'll get to the minecart thing another time.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2011-04-20, 13:37

I agree that if we're going to do rails, it would be a lot easier to get it right the first time, and not just all make our own tracks to Bridgeport and then wish we had an easier way to connect them all together.

Maybe someone should start an MC rails thread?
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2011-04-20, 13:41

I also agree that a rail system is a community undertaking. There should be two main rails, one running N/S and one running E/W, and they should cross in or near Bridgeport. Then everyone else can worry about connecting their compounds etc. to the main lines.

We should color them too So when we have newbies we can say stuff like "yeah just take the Blue line to Bridgeport, transfer onto the Red line and get off at Creepers' Crossing. Watch your step!"

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.